You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 177>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Bukowski Bukowski wrote:

Not a bad idea to be honest. Needs time playing.

I really like Connolly and think he could have a massive part in the euro 24 qualifying campaign. But he needs to play whether that be a loan move to championship from brighton or a match or 2 for the u21s.

He scored two in the efl cup. So dropping back to boost his confidence could do him some good. 
Sponsored Links

J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:06pm
He threw a hissy in training for Brighton when he wasn't gonna be selected for a match. Can see similar happening if you told him you're going back to the U21s.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:15pm
I don't think there's any prospect of him, or any of those three actually, dropping to the Under 21s. I'm not sure any of them would benefit much from it to be honest at this stage, they've all played plenty at that level, it's regular senior football they need, particularly Connolly and Idah.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Something wrong with this lad? Don't know why he was an unused sub tonight

Could have sworn we won tonight.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Something wrong with this lad? Don't know why he was an unused sub tonight

Not match fit, McGrath was on for Horgan, Ogbene for Idah & Robinson was on for a hat-trick.
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think there's any prospect of him, or any of those three actually, dropping to the Under 21s. I'm not sure any of them would benefit much from it to be honest at this stage, they've all played plenty at that level, it's regular senior football they need, particularly Connolly and Idah.

Granted its Italy. But in the last u21 campaign Tonali and Kean were dropping into their u21 team. Tonali actually played for italy u21 in this window.

Surely Connolly playing against italy u21s next window, is better than him being an unused sub against Portugal. The u21 fixture is actually the following day, so if he doesn't play vs Portugal, surely he could drop down. I think Parrot did this for the Sweden game in 2019.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2021 at 11:53pm
To be honest I think Connolly is a far better player than idah and am a little disappointed with the persistence of playing idah every game.

I'd like to see idah drop down the pecking order a little bit until he actually develops a club career.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

To be honest I think Connolly is a far better player than idah and am a little disappointed with the persistence of playing idah every game.

I'd like to see idah drop down the pecking order a little bit until he actually develops a club career.

This all day long. We’ve yet to see Aaron as the out and out 9 for Ireland. 
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

The are completely different players, it's not one or the other. I agree Connolly should have got minutes over Horgan and I would have said Ogbene too but that worked a treat. But it's not Idah taking minutes away from him
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:17pm
You cant really play Connolly through the middle. As part of a front 3 for is. At the minute Idah is there as a hold up man primarily. If he manages to score thats a bonus. He could have had 1 last night i would say if McClean had squared his chance to him. Idah was in loads of space and i think he prob would have scored.
I love beer gardens
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

You cant really play Connolly through the middle. As part of a front 3 for is. At the minute Idah is there as a hold up man primarily. If he manages to score thats a bonus. He could have had 1 last night i would say if McClean had squared his chance to him. Idah was in loads of space and i think he prob would have scored.

I'll be honest Doherty but we've heard the 'he can't play there' opinion in many cases that have fundamentally been proved wrong.

You can't play Doherty and Coleman in the same team with Doherty on the left... this worked very well vs Portugal.

Coleman can't play as one of the three centre backs... 

Duffy can't play the passing game...

Mcclean at left back...

Connolly and idah are at very early stages in their careers and trying them in various positions is not beyond the realm of possibility 
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2021 at 10:16pm
I think Connolly can be great. But there's no harm him getting whipped at half time and not getting minutes for Ireland. He hasn't progressed. Why hasn't he progressed? I don't know but he's stagnated for two years and has had opportunities at club and international level. Depriving him of the international opportunities is no harm to see if he wises up. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2021 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

I think Connolly can be great. But there's no harm him getting whipped at half time and not getting minutes for Ireland. He hasn't progressed. Why hasn't he progressed? I don't know but he's stagnated for two years and has had opportunities at club and international level. Depriving him of the international opportunities is no harm to see if he wises up. 

Agreed, he's had a couple of setbacks now, but I think he deserves half an hour tomorrow to stake a claim, maybe on for Robinson. Still one of our best prospects, so he should be getting minutes in a friendly like this imo.
Idah Dream!
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:47pm
Some kind of falling out? He was the only outfield player named on the bench for both games not to come on.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Some kind of falling out? He was the only outfield player named on the bench for both games not to come on.
that lad needs a bit of tough love.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 9:52pm
Surprised he didn't get on instead of McGrath for the last 20 mins 
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:15pm
Strange one alright
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2021 at 10:23pm
could have sworn we won again tonight.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9192939495 177>
  Share Topic