You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 177>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Welbeck has never scored double figures in a PL season, which is something even Shane Long managed. He hasn't been part of the discussion when it comes to top-tier forwards in the PL for 6 or 7 years. I'm not going to get hung up over the fact he was a backup striker for the worst Arsenal side in over 20 years or played for Man Utd almost a decade ago. Right now, he is just someone who struggles to score goals for teams like Watford and Brighton. And his performances have been, largely, abysmal for the latter any time I've watched him this season.

And, like Connolly, he struggles to stay fit. So that can be used as grist against him as much as it can against Connolly.

I accept that. Was more so talking in relative to our current options playing League 1 attackers and kids who are talented but have little to no experience.  

If you take Connollys record and put it with most of Brighton’s attackers Brighton form I doubt it’s that much if any bit worse. Just for his sake with the competition for places his rather turbulent time of things it might be no harm to get away from the club for a year go out on loan. Teams like Barnsley or Swansea would snap your hand off for him on loan I suspect and hed likely play regularly as in start 30 plus games for them both once staying fit.

Swansea then, seeing as Irish players signed by foreign managers in the Championship (or PL) are as rare as hen's teeth.
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 2:44pm
Much like Kevin Doyle, Welbeck does his best work for others. Underrated player. 

Anyway, this is the Aaron Connolly thread. A season at a team like Middlesbrough or Cardiff would do him some good. Funny that he’s now considered a bad finisher, because it was one of his best traits at underage level 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 3:01pm
As ever, people are too quick to draw conclusions based on one or two individual incidents. He missed that absolute sitter earlier in the season that he put over from a few yards out so now he's a "bad finisher".

I don't think he's a natural finisher like some strikers, but he's certainly not a bad finisher based on what I've seen of him over the last two years. Has scored some very well finished goals.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

As ever, people are too quick to draw conclusions based on one or two individual incidents. He missed that absolute sitter earlier in the season that he put over from a few yards out so now he's a "bad finisher".

I don't think he's a natural finisher like some strikers, but he's certainly not a bad finisher based on what I've seen of him over the last two years. Has scored some very well finished goals.

I still remember the worldie he almost scored against Newcastle in one of his first appearances off the bench, cleared off the line by Schar. Incredibly unlucky he didn't score. He has good technique and the base attributes needed at this level. He just needs a run of fitness and games.

Unfortunately I think he needs a loan next season, something that probably should've been sorted last year.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:31am
When you look around at the experienced strikers at certain clubs, it's a bit disappointing that the only experience Connolly has to lean on is Welbeck. Another fairly electric forward with a propensity to miss good chances is hardly the influence he needs. Pukki and Idah. Cavani and Greenwood. Giroud and Abraham (for a while). Vardy and Iheanacho. There aint all that many young forwards in the Premiership but it can help to have a bit of an experienced veteran at clubs there there is one. I would love to see Connolly playing with or coached by someone like a Deeney at Watford.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:42pm
With Maupay out for Brighton I would have thought that Connolly would have an outside chance of getting some time on the pitch.

But it looks like he's dropped further down the pecking order in the attacking players with lallana, Jahanbakhsh, Welbeck, Zeqiri, Trossard and even the terrible Percy Tau who has come on ahead of him

Edited by Left foot - 15 May 2021 at 9:44pm
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:52pm
Loan move next season hopefully. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 9:58pm
Yes, a loan would be best I think. Brighton are 17th and look poor under Potter but he seems to have a good reputation for reasons I can't really understand, so he's unlikely to get the sack any time soon. He doesn't seem to have a lot of time for Connolly these days so Aaron would be as well to go elsewhere for game time for a season.

I'm sure plenty of Championship clubs would be delighted to get him for a stint and he should get a good run of games at that level if he stays fit.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:09pm

Yes, a loan would be best I think. Brighton are 17th and look poor under Potter but he seems to have a good reputation for reasons I can't really understand, so he's unlikely to get the sack any time soon. He doesn't seem to have a lot of time for Connolly these days so Aaron would be as well to go elsewhere for game time for a season.

I'm sure plenty of Championship clubs would be delighted to get him for a stint and he should get a good run of games at that level if he stays fit.

I agree. It would appear to me that because he is a reasonably well educated Englishman that has had some success abroad, he is viewed as the next Roy Hodgson. In reality, he is far from it. However, he has given Connolly opportunities. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:24pm
Brighton have struggled badly this season to put the ball in the net, Maupay's scoring record is very poor. However Potter has kept them up so maybe he's not that bad.

That being said, I would think Potter will be in the market for a forward in the summer window, this will push Connolly further down the pecking order.

So I would think a loan move is very much needed

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:40pm
I think the Gulls play some great football they just have strikers like Connolly who can't finish, they put together some serious passages of play at times and I think Potter would do a lot better with better players. 
Would Connolly make it at a lower level? I don't like his vibe for some reason. 
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2021 at 10:50pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

I think the Gulls play some great football they just have strikers like Connolly who can't finish, they put together some serious passages of play at times and I think Potter would do a lot better with better players. 
It’s his inability to hit a barn door I don’t like!
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 2:06am

He did give Connolly his debut and he was starting a lot of games before the lockdown breach by Connolly. He seems to have gone down the pecking order since then. 

Potter is trying to play a more attacking based possession style with Brighton. They’ve been good in some games but have gone through long periods of winless runs. 

You could argue that Kenny and potter are guilty of not knowing the limitations of their squads. Both Brighton and Ireland had previous managers who adopted a more defensive and route 1 approach. Both managers have done a complete 180 in terms of style. You can be defensive without playing hoofball!

Edited by AonSceal19 - 16 May 2021 at 2:07am
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 9:18am
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

You could argue that Kenny and potter are guilty of not knowing the limitations of their squads. Both Brighton and Ireland had previous managers who adopted a more defensive and route 1 approach. Both managers have done a complete 180 in terms of style. You can be defensive without playing hoofball!

Yet they've conceded less goals in Potters twos seasons than they did in Hughtons two seasons,even with the complete 180 in terms of style.

So far under Potter they've conceded 96 goals in 74 games, compared to 114 in 76 games under Hughton. Their biggest issue is only scoring 7 more goals in that time frame.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Good post, good take on Brighton. Connolly's reputation seems tied to a few cameo performances. He's young, still promising but looks limited and one-dimensional. Irish fans have overestimated him in their desperation for someone, anyone, to score a few goals. 

Still has the potential to become a decent player does Connolly. Think a loan in the summer is needed be it the Championship or further afield in Europe. The PL is difficult for young attackers at the moment for them to fully break through. 

A loan elsewhere for a year to get away play regularly and build his confidence up but also to maybe get away from the off the field stuff it’s quite obvious he’s having off the field issues too. 

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:07pm

Good post, good take on Brighton. Connolly's reputation seems tied to a few cameo performances. He's young, still promising but looks limited and one-dimensional. Irish fans have overestimated him in their desperation for someone, anyone, to score a few goals. 

Still has the potential to become a decent player does Connolly. Think a loan in the summer is needed be it the Championship or further afield in Europe. The PL is difficult for young attackers at the moment for them to fully break through. 

A loan elsewhere for a year to get away play regularly and build his confidence up but also to maybe get away from the off the field stuff it’s quite obvious he’s having off the field issues too. 

How do you get away from the off the field issues if you are the off the field issue?

21 is indeed still young, but green tinted glasses aside, it's hard not to be worried as he doesn't look like any great swingin mick. If he were any other nationality, he wouldn't even be a blip on our footballing radar. Nothing so far says this guy has a top flight career ahead of him. 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

How do you get away from the off the field issues if you are the off the field issue?

21 is indeed still young, but green tinted glasses aside, it's hard not to be worried as he doesn't look like any great swingin mick. If he were any other nationality, he wouldn't even be a blip on our footballing radar. Nothing so far says this guy has a top flight career ahead of him. 

Fresh start elsewhere can help regain focus etc. 

Depends it’s too early to write him off. Honestly I can see the pessimism and whatever about talent he will be playing League 2 football in 7/8 years time if he doesn’t patch up his off the field issues. 

A good loan next year is vital and I wouldn’t doubt he will attract Championship interest in the summer. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2021 at 1:18pm
Plenty of time for him yet, he has done more than many others had at his age who have gone on to have good careers since. Even looking at this season's premier league the likes of Ings, Bamford, Callum Wilson, Antonio, Adams, Watkins etc didn't achieve much until they were 22 or much older in some cases. Connolly has only recently turned 21.

I think half the problem is that some Irish supporters expect every young Irish forward to be ready at 19 like Robbie Keane was and then write them off if they're not. But it doesn't happen like that, and Keane probably wouldn't even have broken through to the same extent at that age if he was a young player now. 

The other half of the problem is that we're desperate for good forwards to come through so unfair pressure is out on the developing lads because we produced next to nothing from the groups born between 1993 and 1997. That's a five year hole that we're stuck with for a while unfortunately, we have so few good players aged between 24 and 28.

Connolly needs regular games next season and it doesn't look like he'll get them at Brighton. So a loan for a year would be best for all parties here I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7677787980 177>
  Share Topic