You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 177>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:00pm
Cramp isn't a sign that someone isn't applying themselves to their fitness or training at all, that's the type of nonsense that used to talked about 20/30 years ago.

Young players commonly suffer from cramp when they exert themselves beyond their physical capacity, again this is because their bodies haven't fully developed yet. Clubs are smarter with these players now and use them more sparingly until they have built their capacity up, if you overuse players at this stage it can lead to serious injury problems down the line. 
There are a glut of players from the 90s or early 00s who showed massive potential as a young player but were overused and never achieved what they could have because they were burnt out when they should have been at their peak.

The fact he was coming back from injury is also going to be a factor.

The stuff with his hair and lockdown breaking, wouldn't be the way I'd go if I  was him but he is hardly the only one. he is young and stupid but then again we all were at 21. He will mature and grow out of it at some stage like most people do

Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:55pm
Why don't you see it more often then? I hadn't seen it since extra-time of the last World Cup.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:12pm
If you haven't seen it then you obviously aren't watching a lot of football. Young players are always going down with cramp. They may not lay down and try stretch it out but they are regularly taken off early in games clearly suffering from cramp.

And again clubs are able to manage these thing a lot better now, they don't just throw players in and hope for the best. There is a science to it, they test for lactic acid in their system and if they think a player is at risk they don't play, or they may plan to only play them for a certain amount of time. Look at Phil Foden at City, he is hailed as the star of the team this year but is regularly taken out of the team or dropped to the bench. 

When it comes to big games you obviously end up taking a chance and in this case we gambled and we lost
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 2:36pm
Originally posted by geansaí geansaí wrote:

If you haven't seen it then you obviously aren't watching a lot of football. Young players are always going down with cramp. They may not lay down and try stretch it out but they are regularly taken off early in games clearly suffering from cramp.

And again clubs are able to manage these thing a lot better now, they don't just throw players in and hope for the best. There is a science to it, they test for lactic acid in their system and if they think a player is at risk they don't play, or they may plan to only play them for a certain amount of time. Look at Phil Foden at City, he is hailed as the star of the team this year but is regularly taken out of the team or dropped to the bench. 

When it comes to big games you obviously end up taking a chance and in this case we gambled and we lost
Fair enough. Before lockdown I would have gone to a game every week and since it have watched most Celtic games and nearly all Cambridge United games, but I struggle to watch football on television unless I am a fan. I certainly haven't seen any in the games I have been at or watched. Maybe it happens all the time in the greed league, but I would be surprised. Maybe it is just bad management of his age and injuries. It just shocked me as I wasn't used to seeing it.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:00pm
When the entire Romanian team dyed their hair blonde at World Cup 1998, 9 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Ireland should do that if we ever qualify for a tournament again.

You know, solidarity and all that.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

It shouldn't be happening to a professional player, especially at his age, any time. 

I think his attitude on the pitch isn’t great either. Going down too easy, whinging, etc 

I like the look of him talent wise but don’t think it’ll be lack of talent that’ll stop him doing it in premier league consistently 

I don’t mind him going down too easily and moaning if he is backing it up with consistent performances. Duffer also went down very easily and was moaning a lot and he won us a lot of free kicks so it was good but he would also back it up with his quality beating players and causing damage. Connolly is yet to bring that other side of his game into Ireland or Brighton on a consistent basis, even though there are glimpses that he does have a similar burst of energy that could do damage to teams. The injuries though are a huge concern and you wonder if he really goes on to have a career more similar to Duffer or more similar to Keith O’Neill
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:42pm
I will wager on Keith o neill for that one.

I hope I’m wrong though as there’s obviously talent there 
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Loc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Loc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

It shouldn't be happening to a professional player, especially at his age, any time. 

I think his attitude on the pitch isn’t great either. Going down too easy, whinging, etc 

I like the look of him talent wise but don’t think it’ll be lack of talent that’ll stop him doing it in premier league consistently 
potters comments after their Newcastle suggested his fitness wasn’t where it should be so that would account for the cramp. Brighton would have a team of fitness trainers and its up to them to get him fit - athletically at least.

He does seem to lack discipline / do the hard yards on and off the pitch. Looking for frees too often on pitch example, his covid lockdown visitor being an off field one. Does he stick to clubs diet rules etc? I doubt it, will never know but the gets injured a fair bit.

Anyway is he available for tonight - I though he was out buts lads have him scoring on the prediction thread. Edit: I need new glasses - that’s Collins not Connolly in the predictions.

Is that just based on your perception? I agree on most of what you are saying but I remember hearing he was seriously driven and always in the gym. Think there can be tendency to look at his hair, moaning and extra curricular activities and make a leap that he doesn’t work hard but to me he looks pretty strong and can hold his own when he needs to. The diving can be frustrating but it’s a fine line for smaller, quick centre forwards who are getting kicked by CBs who don’t want them to turn and run at them and unfortunately the way the game is gone if you don’t go down you don’t get a free.

Edited by Loc - 27 Mar 2021 at 5:28pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I don’t mind him going down too easily and moaning if he is backing it up with consistent performances. Duffer also went down very easily and was moaning a lot and he won us a lot of free kicks so it was good but he would also back it up with his quality beating players and causing damage. Connolly is yet to bring that other side of his game into Ireland or Brighton on a consistent basis, even though there are glimpses that he does have a similar burst of energy that could do damage to teams. The injuries though are a huge concern and you wonder if he really goes on to have a career more similar to Duffer or more similar to Keith O’Neill
I still Duff was massively overrated. There was about three campaigns where he had no impact at all. Aside of that he was a horrible cheat. Cheats are even worse on your own team.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:49pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

When the entire Romanian team dyed their hair blonde at World Cup 1998, 9 year old me thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Ireland should do that if we ever qualify for a tournament again.

You know, solidarity and all that.

Remember the Leeds team all shaving their heads before the 2001 Champions League semi final for the whole solidarity buzz.

Except Ian Harte who was getting married that summer so his missus wouldn't let him. LOL
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:20pm
What on it?
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 8:36pm
Did anyone see his 'minge mobile'!?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:13pm
I read on Twitter last week that James Rodriguez was a transsexual.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 9:40pm
What's this about, anyone? 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:07pm
Originally posted by djhegzy djhegzy wrote:

What's this about, anyone? 

It’s f**k all.

Embarrassing sharing stuff like this on here from a random Crystal Palace fun, f**k right off.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:09pm
That link won't work. What has he done/said?
Dr. Pat View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dr. Pat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

That link won't work. What has he done/said?

I wouldn't worry about it. Ridiculous nonsense from some Palace fan on twitter. Shouldn't have been reposted here.
Geremi has let Kilbane in here, cross comes out to Holland, 1:1!!
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
Tweets deleted. 

In a nutshell it was some lad saying AC Slater has been living like the Stones in the 70s, sex drugs and rock n roll and smashing his windows that still havent been replaced. Serving an in house game ban. 

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7374757677 177>
  Share Topic