You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 177>
Author
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 10:42am
It's funny how most of our players seem to play in crap teams where their style doesn't suit them and therefore they can't fulfil their potential
Sponsored Links

horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

I think he is a natural goal scorer who knows what he's got in his locker and is confident. Kenny knows him well and I believe will regard him as a key player for Ireland in the immediate future.

0 goals for Ireland.

He scored yesterday, the last goal before that was in Sept and then before that was in May 2019 with 2 against Spurs.

The reality is that he's not going to score many goals. (Hope I am wrong, especially from an Ireland perspective).
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I think he is a natural goal scorer who knows what he's got in his locker and is confident. Kenny knows him well and I believe will regard him as a key player for Ireland in the immediate future.

0 goals for Ireland.

He scored yesterday, the last goal before that was in Sept and then before that was in May 2019 with 2 against Spurs.

The reality is that he's not going to score many goals. (Hope I am wrong, especially from an Ireland perspective).

For me anyway he's definitely more of an outside forward/winger as opposed to an out and out number 9.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:32am
I'd agree. Nice to see him score a poacher-type goal though, as it's not one he generally scores, even though his first for Brighton against Spurs was a similar type.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 11:52am
I actually thought Connolly's finish yesterday was a good poachers finish which we haven't seen too much of from him up to now. But he showed that he maybe has more goalscoring potential than we're giving him credit for.

In terms the comments about our players playing in poorer teams I think that's a trade off for them getting first team football at a young age. In the long run I think it's probably a good thing that O'Shea is at West Brom, Connolly is at Brighton, Knight is at Derby, Collins is at Stoke and Idah is at Norwich as that gives them more of a chance to play first team football than if they were with Man United or Liverpool. The hope is that longer term all five will move on to bigger clubs but the trade off is that they have to play in underperforming teams in order to get the first team experience while still under 21.

Conor Masterson is a good example of how going to a bigger club as a highly rated young player can backfire a bit so on balance I think these lads have done the right thing for their careers in the longer term.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 12:42pm

0 goals for Ireland.

He got a goal in July also against Burnley, even though he plays mostly wide on the left he has better goals per mins ratio than Danny Welbeck and a few other forwards at Brighton this season.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:23pm
Your right. I missed that.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I actually thought Connolly's finish yesterday was a good poachers finish which we haven't seen too much of from him up to now. But he showed that he maybe has more goalscoring potential than we're giving him credit for.

In terms the comments about our players playing in poorer teams I think that's a trade off for them getting first team football at a young age. In the long run I think it's probably a good thing that O'Shea is at West Brom, Connolly is at Brighton, Knight is at Derby, Collins is at Stoke and Idah is at Norwich as that gives them more of a chance to play first team football than if they were with Man United or Liverpool. The hope is that longer term all five will move on to bigger clubs but the trade off is that they have to play in underperforming teams in order to get the first team experience while still under 21.

Conor Masterson is a good example of how going to a bigger club as a highly rated young player can backfire a bit so on balance I think these lads have done the right thing for their careers in the longer term.

If you had told someone 6-8 months ago that Knight would be by miles the frontrunner of our young midfielders or that O’Shea was the lad out of our young crop who’s possibly made the most progress you would have raised eyebrows.

Difference between Knight and Molumby Smallbone Coventry Connell and a few others is he is just playing at that slightly lower level got a run and look how it’s turning out. 

Idah was getting game time  at Norwich but I wouldn’t have minded him going on loan to a promotion chasing League 1 team this year starting every week for more experience (Pukki and Hugill they have more depth up front then any team in the Championship). 

Even Joshua Kayode at Carlisle there is talks Rotherham want to take him back. For goodness sakes leave him there for the year he’s playing every week and playing well scoring a few and impressing in a side challenging for the title. 

At there age playing football matches is the name of the game and Conor Masterson like someone says is an example. Lee O’Connor potentially another and the lads up at Celtics like Connells situation would have you tearing you hair out.

Edited by kevin100 - 03 Jan 2021 at 1:29pm
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:27pm
He definitely plays for us when fit and I think will get us some goals. I just don't think we can really rely on him because of his injury record. 

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:29pm

0 goals for Ireland.

His 2 goals against Spurs came in October 2019. He also scored in the League Cup in August 2019, his 1st senior goal
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 1:40pm

0 goals for Ireland.

Was October 2019, just before the Georgia game
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm

0 goals for Ireland.

he got two goals this year in just over six full games already
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:11pm
Connolly is by far the most promising player we have coming through. Been dogged with injury which is a concern. Has all the attributes to be a very good premier league player. Let the lad develop
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:44pm

0 goals for Ireland.

Since scoring at the end of last season, he has 3 in 12. Which isn't that bad (and isn't any worse than what the much lauded Neal Maupay has from open play). He's only started 21 games for them because any given week he could be starting, benched or not in the squad, and he has 5 goals total. He's also capable of the sublime like the overhead kick yesterday and the shot that was cleared off the line by at the last second by a Newcastle player last season.

Still 20. Almost a full season's worth of PL appearances and potentially half dozen goals by his 21st birthday would be some going.
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 2:57pm
Parrott looks like the most natural goalscorer of those coming through but again way too early to be counting on that.

In the last decade our strikers have come up with goals - Keane, Long, Walters - it’s the lack of goals from midfield that has been a huge stumbling block - McClean did step up during 2018 qualifiers. I think the last midfielder we had with a reasonable goal scoring record was Stephen Ireland !
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:12pm
Would too much weights training give you problems with your hamstrings?

Connolly looks like someone who lifts them a lot.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:19pm
the idea that weight training stunts growth and damages muscle is complete discredited . weight training strengths muscles and prevents injury not the opposite
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2021 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

the idea that weight training stunts growth and damages muscle is complete discredited . weight training strengths muscles and prevents injury not the opposite
Yeah but if you're doing more upper body then lower surely you're putting increased load on your hamstrings?

Anyway, I'm sure the Brighton sports science team know what they're at.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 177>
  Share Topic