You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 177>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:08pm
Wow this thread is tough reading. And this is after he had a good game!
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:11pm
Can you imagine if we had say David Connolly now banging in goals in Holland, and the absolute fits people would be having here to have him in the team? He wasn't really rated back then by Ireland fans, it just goes to show the dearth of talent now. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

Can you imagine if we had say David Connolly now banging in goals in Holland, and the absolute fits people would be having here to have him in the team? He wasn't really rated back then by Ireland fans, it just goes to show the dearth of talent now. 

We miss a Connolly or a Morrison type player now. Not a great player but good enough to keep things ticking over. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:15pm
We have a prolific goalscorer who is being ignored.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Liam Green View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Liam Green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:31pm
I think some of the lads here didn’t see the game I was watching today. Connolly looked a threat all the time and played really well. I’m sure goals will come from him
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:51pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Rashford, Owen,.Keane, greenwood, Rooney. These were teenagers.who were/are banging in goals consistently.

Connolly is 20. Rather than trotting out the tired aul... Give him time. He's finding his feet... Maybe we just have to accept that goal wise, he won't be much better than Shane Long or Kevin Doyle. 

From what I've seen of him over the last year he's missed chances that show he just doesn't have that goalscorers instinct.

That's ok though, as he has plenty more to offer besides goals.

idiotic thinking. they are the unusual cases, most strikers don't become prolific til their 20's. i keep saying it, but harry kane, 3-4 underwhelming loans at connolly age, and didn't break through in spurs until he was 22/23. look at him now, if he was irish you would have written him off by then 

Of course it is they are the exceptions like you say. You would find absolute hoards of PL attackers in their mid to late 20s that score at a reasonable rate now playing at a lower level than Connolly is now certainly and playing at Championship level or even lower we will say and not anywhere near as prolific in front of goal at 19/20/21 at that level.

Of course there are plenty that end up in League 2 too. No one is saying that couldn’t happen. 

Connolly alone and Silva Martinelli Torres Greenwood Hudson Odoi the other 5 attackers I can think of 20 and under playing for a PL side reasonably regularly. These are some of the best U21 attacking talents on the planet it just provides context.

Edited by kevin100 - 28 Nov 2020 at 9:53pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by Liam Green Liam Green wrote:

I think some of the lads here didn’t see the game I was watching today. Connolly looked a threat all the time and played really well. I’m sure goals will come from him

He’d a very good game by all accounts it was a bit of an odd one that he was taken off?? I didn’t hear anything but did Klopp praise him too? That chance was a bad miss today I get the distinct impression that the lack of goals since he stepped up to the senior team is effecting him. thought against Finland away a few times the minute he got a sight at goal it was head down and try and rattle the net almost desperate. For a lad that does seem an intelligent player it was to put it mildly poor. 😂

Huge disadvantage for the likes of Connolly Idah Obafemi too is English football and the money in it. Walcott and Welbeck were signed by both clubs with them paying them about 60-70k each respectively to be almost rotation players. That’s the issue these lads were signed not cause Connolly and Obafemi aren’t talented but it’s just they are better short term options for now with better CVs who they can afford. 

If Connolly and Obafemi were with let’s say Hertha Berlin and Mainz midtable/lower League Bundesliga clubs let’s say they would not a hope be able to afford to pay 2 players with their CV those wages to be pretty much a rotation option they might be able to pay 20-30k a week. Hence Connolly and Obafemi or whatever younger player at said Bundesliga club getting a run as it’s in the clubs interest to promote from within. PL clubs have money to go out and buy for now. 

It’s why English players are starting to go out foreign en masse and the Germans have launched operation poach English kids don’t mind Irish players not getting chances. 
I was gutted when I heard Kelleher was due to be in Holland until Allisons injury for that reason along with Cullen at Anderlecht Kelleher going to Holland that template needs to be set for lads going out foreign to develop where it’s in clubs interest to promote younger players due to the lack of money to buy the finished article.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:17pm
"Out foreign" LOL
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:19pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

"Out foreign" LOL

Ahh god yeah you get what I mean though beyond the British Isles 😂😂👀👀👀
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:26pm
what Klopp said. Highlighting rather than praising, but it’s good to
Know he can cause trouble for big teams

Speaking after the game, Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp praised Aaron Connolly.

He said: "You have to drop at the right moments because (Connolly) is running through the gaps so it is quite difficult.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:33pm
Connolly at this current time is more of a prospect than Parrott

avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:35pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Connolly at this current time is more of a prospect than Parrott

Tp has more technical ability. Connolly is further along the track at this point. 

Have the making of a decent front 2.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

"Out foreign" LOL

Ahh god yeah you get what I mean though beyond the British Isles 😂😂👀👀👀
Dead
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 10:52pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Wow this thread is tough reading. And this is after he had a good game!

Place is full of weirdo’s.
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Both are consistently unable to score?

he's a 20 year old kid with about 20 starts and 4 premier league goals to his game, is that what we now decide is "consistently unable to score". god help us, people say we overhype but there are just as many who like to cut down youngsters before they've even started

I just don't think he's a natural goal scorer.

He's a good player, reads the game well, runs the channel, gets in behind defenders. He does all these things pretty well. But he needs too many chances to score.

That's just my opinion.

Last season, he scored 2 goals against Spurs in October, he didn't score again until the the end of the season at the end of July.

He's very similar to Shane Long.

Fully agree with HB. 

He lacks the killer instinct 
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:26pm
Any other younger strikers coming through now we’ve deduced in the last few days on here that Connolly and Parrott are both finished?
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Any other younger strikers coming through now we’ve deduced in the last few days on here that Connolly and Parrott are both finished?

Robbie Keanes youngfella, banging in goals out the back garden, scores for fun. No keeper in mind you but still looks world class, id be a bit worried though in the last video posted to Instagram he hit the post, not a good sign at this stage in his career, probably be doing well to make DDSL Premier at this rate.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

The only Irish strikers that make the headlines are from Debenhams

Edited by Trap junior - 29 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 177>
  Share Topic