You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 177>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:07pm
He hasn't even got an assist since that Spurs game almost 4 months ago. Lots of time to improve though 

Edited by Andrew00 - 18 Jan 2020 at 11:07pm
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:45pm
Yeah, hasn’t done a lot since that Spurs game

Must be doing something right to continually be picked though 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2020 at 11:47pm
Yeah if I've learned anything about opinions on forums about players it's that opinions are like ars€h0les... everyone has one.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 3:16am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Connolly tried hard against Villa but with little effect. Subbed off. Sometimes he's so easily knocked over because of his size. But so is Grealish and currently he's probably the best midfielder in EPL.  Connolly is only 19 and promising - but he's struggling.

If an Ireland game was next week McCarthy would be duty-bound to pick Shane Long - glowing midweek praise from Southampton manager and then a brilliant goal against Wolves. 

Grealish isn’t even close to being the best midfielder in the league 
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:36pm
Really think the best position for Connolly is off the left of a front 3 like he played for the 21s. His directness, pace and overall workrate make him perfect for that role. 
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2020 at 4:53pm
Originally posted by engpad engpad wrote:

Really think the best position for Connolly is off the left of a front 3 like he played for the 21s. His directness, pace and overall workrate make him perfect for that role. 

Completely agree. He seems to excel down the left flank anytime he's played there. When Brighton play him as a Right centre forward he seems to struggle. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Andrew00 Andrew00 wrote:

Some of the replies to this are madness. "He's absolutely dreadful".. "Should never start for us again"

Wonder who the brighton fans are going to blame after the game this time...
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:14pm
Watching Connolly again here...why oh why is he playing down the middle?
All his good play for the 21's was out on the left where he terrorised defenders.
In the centre he isn't getting any ball or any opportunity to run at anyone and get them turned around...it seems a hopeless position for him.

Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:15pm
It's baffling no wonder the poor lad is lacking confidence.

Can't understand why Potter won't play him in his best position out wide 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:34pm
He's made his name and forced his way in to the Brighton first team based mainly on scoring goals as a striker for the Under-21 squad  and I'm sure he's always played there for our youth teams. I've never seen him as a winger.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 9:47pm
How in god name is shane duffy not in that team
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2020 at 11:13pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He's made his name and forced his way in to the Brighton first team based mainly on scoring goals as a striker for the Under-21 squad  and I'm sure he's always played there for our youth teams. I've never seen him as a winger.

I've seen him for the u21 playing on the left but I totally agree, Connolly should be playing through the middle. 

Not a time to write the guy off, this season is a massive learning experience for him, I think he'll get some more goals this season 
SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 1:57pm
Seems to be not getting the same chances as before at Brighton, 36yr old Murray starts and scores ahead of him, shame as could do very well with a decent run in side injury free. Long has to be ahead of him come March
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 3:07pm
Originally posted by SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN SUPERWESLEYHOOLAHAN wrote:

Seems to be not getting the same chances as before at Brighton, 36yr old Murray starts and scores ahead of him, shame as could do very well with a decent run in side injury free. Long has to be ahead of him come March

In fairness that is Murray's first start of the season and he didnt bring on either Connolly or Maupay which is the first time that happened. As an aside they have only lost 2 games where Aaron has started. Brighton is a long term project for potter. Has a 6 year deal and they with be quite a new look team next year if they stay up. Ben White,Alzate, Aaron,Trossard and Tariq Lamptey will all be starters. Next year will tell alot. And Aaron imo will be bought if they go down. He really hasn't done alot wrong and at 20 people will take a chance on him. There is a manager at a top team somewhere looking at him and seeing how to use him. I really think his future is at a club bigger than Brighton.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 3:19pm
He's made fantastic progress this season.

If you'd had said he will see this much first team action just before the season started you would have been ridiculed.

Yes I would like to have seen him add to his goals vs Tottenham and I dont think he's been amazing in some games but he will get better.
eddiebro View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eddiebro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2020 at 8:00pm
Barring injury Connolly has all the attributes to be a better player than Shane Long (fingers crossed). Only thing stopping him now is the service at Brighton isn’t good enough and there was plenty to be seen of him in Toulon to know he can be quite effective on the left. Certainly can’t see Kenny playing him as a flat 9 when he takes over given his excellent performances with the u21s on the left and it would be surprising if McClean is a guaranteed started by then
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:10am
I hope the does well and it is fantastic that he has made so many appearances for them this season.

I had concerns about him much earlier than most on here purely based on a terrific start that petered out very quickly. The time on the bench might give him an opportunity to reset and go again (think you are right about him being a winger and would be good to see him in his best position). 

Hope he isn't one of those players that excels as a teenager and underage to have a very ordinary career.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2020 at 3:13am
Is he the new Stephen Elliott?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3233343536 177>
  Share Topic