You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Aaron Connolly

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 177>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 10:16am
Originally posted by killer kilbane killer kilbane wrote:

He won't start unless Mcclean starts at left back which I don't see happening. I can see him getting a run with about twenty minutes to go though

Think that's likely. Expect Collins to start with McGoldrick potentially coming in for Swiss game. His quotes on Connolly are encouraging though and have been consistent. Two sets below. 

"I wouldn’t have put him in the squad if I felt he couldn’t do a job. I said before if someone gets in the Premier League first team and starts scoring goals, they can have a chance.

"This was all on the back of Troy Parrott and Aaron being in the U21s and doing well. But I said then if they are playing in the Premier League, he has a chance. And now Aaron has done that so he has."

"We'll be playing 4-3-3 with three up front and he could play in any of those three roles," he said. "You have to be fairly flexible and fluid when you play in those positions, you cannot play in straight lines.

"So I don't doubt that he could play in any one of them. He really has got pace and that scares most people.

"If somebody gets into the Premier League and has done what Aaron has done, well that gives me something to think about," said McCarthy.

"He has proved to be the difference in a really top league, not just the difference in a game against Armenia or Sweden in the U-21s which I have a lot of respect for, but it was not a senior men's international team or the Premier League." 

And on Collins... 

"He has scored goals wherever he has been and he's doing it now in the Championship, and doing well. He really did change the game when he came on against Bulgaria. I know it's a friendly, but his attitude was great when he came on."

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2019 at 1:58pm
Fun times here in Galway as it seems everyone knows him and are best buddies LOL . To be honest if the lad stood next to me I would still not know who he was , hummmm must be one of the few in Galway .  
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
ramuelmiller9 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramuelmiller9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 10:56am
Originally posted by The Whisperer The Whisperer wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

[QUOTE=Stoked Up]Unless somebody makes a standout club appearance and forces his hand, which Connolly clearly has done,  it's a complete and utter no brainer (given McCarthy's ridiculous short brief) that the manager usually opts for experience every time in selecting his teams. However, given our paucity of striking options, I will be surprised if Connolly doesn't at least make a sub appearance over the next two games.

Like most here I've seen very little of this lad, but I'm very impressed from the little amount I have seen. His clever movement and pace around the box remind me of Robbie. If he can keep progressing, these kind of gambles bring goals.

Its hardly much of gamble really.

He's been on the radar for over 3 years at this stage with various super performances for our underage teams. He has taken like a duck to water at adult level for brighton even before his two goals at the weekend.

Add to that, that we have really poor options in that area of the field and tbh its a no brainer picking him for the senior squad now. Tbh there is a serious arguement to be had whether you start him or not now.

Which super performances?

I'd bet my left nut you'd never heard of this guy a year ago.

I tend to do my betting with more reputable establishments to be honest as opposed to a random anonymous forum.

Anyone with half a clue about our underage set up would of known he was coming through.

Now take your left nut and nonsense comments and jog on M8.
[/QUOTE

Edited by ramuelmiller9 - 10 Oct 2019 at 5:13pm
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:09pm
"PM, please give us your thoughts regarding that last post?"

Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm
Duplicate post.

Edited by The Huntacha - 10 Oct 2019 at 12:10pm
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:19pm
I think he starts on saturday judging by Mick's comments and attitude.
Gabrieléire View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gabrieléire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

I think he starts on saturday judging by Mick's comments and attitude.

Have that feeling myself. I was certain it was going to be Collins until Mick’s comments. Although in saying that, both players could start. 
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:05pm
Where does he start? CF? 

Mick has his team picked in advance. He starts against Spurs, scores 2 and he's in from the start for us?

*** I'm not saying he shouldn't but if Mick does this it would be very out of character for him.

Edited by kearney304 - 10 Oct 2019 at 1:06pm
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Where does he start? CF? 

Mick has his team picked in advance. He starts against Spurs, scores 2 and he's in from the start for us?

*** I'm not saying he shouldn't but if Mick does this it would be very out of character for him.

well, with "Didseh" injured, we are very short of options up front and whoever we start up front will not be a proven commodity at international level. Robinson will be out wide, Collins hasn't had a competitive minute, Hogan hasn't had a competitive start, nor has Maguire. There's not a competitive goal between any of them. So in that sense, Connolly is no more unproven at international level. Not saying he should start, but that's the landscape in front of him.

I reckon Mick just goes with whoever impresses him most in training this week.

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 10 Oct 2019 at 1:18pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
RobsYourUncle View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RobsYourUncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:22pm
If Connolly is to start I think it's more likely Mick goes with McClean at LB instead of Doherty, and Connolly on the left of a front 3 with Collins and Robinson.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:30pm
I'd be surprised if Mick started Connolly, probably to much expectation on him considering the importance of the game.

I reckon he will come on at some stage anyway.

Looking forward to the game now.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by ramuelmiller9 ramuelmiller9 wrote:

Originally posted by Stoked Up Stoked Up wrote:

Unless somebody makes a standout club appearance and forces his hand, which Connolly clearly has done,  it's a complete and utter no brainer (given McCarthy's ridiculous short brief) that the manager usually opts for experience every time in selecting his teams. However, given our paucity of striking options, I will be surprised if Connolly doesn't at least make a sub appearance over the next two games.

Like most here I've seen very little of this lad, but I'm very impressed from the little amount I have seen. His clever movement and pace around the box remind me of Robbie. If he can keep progressing, these kind of gambles bring goals.

He's been on the radar for over 3 years at this stage with various super performances for our underage teams. He has taken like a duck to water at adult level for brighton even before his two goals at the weekend.

Add to that, that we have really poor options in that area of the field and tbh its a no brainer picking him for the senior squad now. Tbh there is a serious arguement to be had whether you start him or not now.

I tend to do my betting with more reputable establishments to be honest as opposed to a random anonymous forum.

Anyone with half a clue about our underage set up would of known he was coming through.

"jog on M8" - what are you, a tan?
What are you, a racist? 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 1:58pm

I'd be surprised if Mick started Connolly, probably to much expectation on him considering the importance of the game.

I reckon he will come on at some stage anyway.

Looking forward to the game now.

Agreed. I can't see him starting. It will be Collins through the middle with McClean and Robinson on the wings and Doherty at left back. If it's 1-1 or 0-0 with 20 mins or so to go then Connolly would be a great option to have off the bench.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:10pm
Ohhh Aaron, last week I had never heard of you and this week I expect you to score the goals to bring us to the Euros
Ohhh Aaron, your only 19 and I have never seen you play but your gonna score the goals to bring us to the Euros.
Ohhh Aaron, if Mick doesn't pick you then he is a thick cluess prick
Ohhh Aaron, and if you don't play very well we'll tell you to f**k off from the squad just like Hogan and Maguire 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 4:35pm
I understand people think there's too much expectation on Connolly, but the argument that no one was aware of him until last week is spurious. Lots of people have been talking about Connolly and his prodigious talent for at least 2 years now.
We're decent enough..
greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

I understand people think there's too much expectation on Connolly, but the argument that no one was aware of him until last week is spurious. Lots of people have been talking about Connolly and his prodigious talent for at least 2 years now.
sure this thread is going since 2016
ramuelmiller9 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ramuelmiller9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Unless somebody makes a standout club appearance and forces his hand, which Connolly clearly has done,  it's a complete and utter no brainer (given McCarthy's ridiculous short brief) that the manager usually opts for experience every time in selecting his teams. However, given our paucity of striking options, I will be surprised if Connolly doesn't at least make a sub appearance over the next two games.

What are you, a racist? 

Apologies, it was in reference to people like Danny Dyer who like to use that term, if it was perceived as racist I apologise. Definitely not what was intended

Edited by ramuelmiller9 - 10 Oct 2019 at 5:14pm
The Whisperer View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Whisperer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2019 at 5:17pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

What are you, a racist? 

Apologies, it was in reference to people like Danny Dyer who like to use that term, if it was perceived as racist I apologise. Definitely not what was intended

Backtrack Barry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2021222324 177>
  Share Topic