You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:01am
A common refrain from the foam-flecked Brexiteers across the water who have revived the spirit of Enoch Powell but you don't expect that sort of crap to be prevalent in Ireland. That said, I recall reading an interview with Leon Best ( remember him ? ) in which he complained bitterly about being subjected to racism when growing up in Ireland. I suppose the difference would be that he wouldn't have been shy about slapping manners into gobsh*tes.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

A common refrain from the foam-flecked Brexiteers across the water who have revived the spirit of Enoch Powell but you don't expect that sort of crap to be prevalent in Ireland. That said, I recall reading an interview with Leon Best ( remember him ? ) in which he complained bitterly about being subjected to racism when growing up in Ireland. I suppose the difference would be that he wouldn't have been shy about slapping manners into gobsh*tes.
Really? My experience is that racism, particularly casual racism, but often up to this level, is incredibly common in Ireland and certainly amongst the older generations. Racism in England tends to be, with the exception of the lunatic fringe who have become emboldened by certain political events, institutional rather than of this sort. We don't tend to have institutional racism as it was never necessary, although we have certainly played our part in it abroad. I think as a colonised nation ourselves we seem to think we have always been the victim; that's far from the case.
Over here it is far less likely a young lad would get any comment at all at a football club. It certainly wouldn't be as blunt. To paraphrase Stewart Lee on the changes in how racism is expressed over here; if political correctness has done anything for us, it has made the racism of the Tory party less overt.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 11:12am
If you have any doubts on the subject, just mention something a traveller may or may not have done to any Irish person.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:19pm

Agree with some of that Green but I think Leo's approach to the racism he has faced is far more mature than the logic of trying to beat sense into people who clearly have none.

I cant imagine a racist has ever been beaten up and summarised that he was in the wrong and should change his behaviour.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

If you have any doubts on the subject, just mention something a traveller may or may not have done to any Irish person.

or Dubs....
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

or Dubs....
LOL
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2020 at 11:17pm
Danny Devine and Ryan Scully released by Dunfermline.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 11:28am
David McMillan released by St. Johnstone.
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 9:39am
Everton keeper Dan Rose sighs for Schalke.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2020 at 12:51pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Everton keeper Dan Rose sighs for Schalke.

Was he just tired or was he really just not happy with Schalke? Maybe he'll feel better when he gets there?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:01pm

Just came across some statistics from the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights from 2018. 13% of black people in Ireland have experienced racially aggravated violence; second worst  in the EU. 51% had been racially threatened.
The study also found that black people in Ireland were three times more likely to experience discrimination in public services and five times more likely in private services such as shops and banks. 

But yeah, there's no racism there at all...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:26pm

Just came across some statistics from the EU Agency for Fundamental Rights from 2018. 13% of black people in Ireland have experienced racially aggravated violence; second worst  in the EU. 51% had been racially threatened.
The study also found that black people in Ireland were three times more likely to experience discrimination in public services and five times more likely in private services such as shops and banks. 

But yeah, there's no racism there at all...

I think the main difference is that racism in Ireland (unlike countries with long histories of immigration rather than emigration) is that racism here isn't systemic (because there's never been a need for the system to be racist...). 
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:38pm
Outside of the travelling community this is certainly true. I was more surprised that people seemed to think it didn't exist at all, which went against my own experience.  I do think that Irish people feel that we can't be properly racist because we weren't colonisers or because we have often been the victims. I think that mindset is quite dangerous. 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 5:49pm
Shane Long being strongly tipped to sign a new contract at Southampton now that the manager Ralph Hasenhuttl has agreed a new four year deal for himself. Warren O'Hora has signed a new one year deal with Brighton.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 7:14pm

Outside of the travelling community this is certainly true. I was more surprised that people seemed to think it didn't exist at all, which went against my own experience.  I do think that Irish people feel that we can't be properly racist because we weren't colonisers or because we have often been the victims. I think that mindset is quite dangerous. 

Yes, Travellers aside of course. I would agree that the mindset that Irish people "can't" be racist due to our history is foolhardy, but I also think it's a relevant point that we shouldn't necessarily feel ashamed of our "privilege" considering it's not exactly something we have been overburdened with... In any case, the main positive of our situation is that casual racism should hopefully be easier to stamp out than the systemic variety.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2020 at 7:32pm
I would be more concerned that it would become systemic for the same reasons. That we so inherently believe we can't be racist that it becomes structured. 

Anyway, back to transfers...
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 4:52pm
Lincoln City releasing 11 players at end of season including Lee Frecklington and Alan Sheehan. Kept on are Cian Bolger, Zach Elbouzedi and Tony Scully ( the club's CEO is Liam Scully, incidentally-don't think they're related ). Conor Coventry returning to West Ham following loan spell.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 9:13am

Dermot O'Leary has often spoken about getting thumped on visits over here when he was younger.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6465666768 126>
  Share Topic