You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 12:06pm
An interesting off-season coming up for some of our players.
Just a few names off the top of my head but please weigh in with others.

Obviously we have the Derby players, Knight being forefront among them.
Cashin also is a lad I'd like to see get an upwards move but every chance he's still in L1 next season.

Azaz goes back to Villa with a good loan behind him and next season for him could be a real break-out.
He should be knocking on the door of the Ireland squad.

Kelleher's move will possibly be the most high-profile.
And with Bazunu looking at a season in the Championship, a good move (Brentford muted) for Kelleher could see him take that #1 jersey and hold in a while.
Regardless, 1st-team football has to be his immediate requirement.

Cannon's future will be determined heavily by where Everton end up.
I think they will scrape out of it but who knows.  Looks a talent tho and if Everton stay up and let him out again, there'll be no shortage of suitors.  For my money I'd say they will hold him in their squad next season.
Parrott will likely get a similar loan again and that would seem fair.

Sponsored Links

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Cashin also is a lad I'd like to see get an upwards move but every chance he's still in L1 next season.

Azaz goes back to Villa with a good loan behind him and next season for him could be a real break-out.

And with Bazunu looking at a season in the Championship, a good move (Brentford muted) for Kelleher could see him take that #1 jersey and hold in a while.

I think they will scrape out of it but who knows.  Looks a talent tho and if Everton stay up and let him out again, there'll be no shortage of suitors.  For my money I'd say they will hold him in their squad next season.

Just to add to the above. 

Omabamidele could be competing with Kelleher as the most high profile move. Think he will be sold as Norwich’s sellable asset. 
Travers hopefully gets out.
Bazunu every chance he might be snapped up. 
Doherty hopefully but if he wants to stay at Atletico for money as cover fair enough. 
O’Shea and Lenihan possibly at the stage they might get snapped up by one of the promoted teams? 
McNally is going to be very interesting. 

Moran is the player I’m most intrigued by. If he was to get a Championship loan Blackburn would be ideal play good football which he would need. European football for Brighton means he will be needed most likely.

More left field both Jake O’Brien and Garcia McNulty have both gone under the radar but off the back of successful loans in Belgian/Dutch 2nd divisions should kick on to top level football strong chance the latter will introduced to the Wolfsburg team.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

We have only begun to scratch the surface in the two posts above. Gonna be a very exciting summer for our players to see what type of moves they get. 

Think we will see plenty upgrading in level too as opposed to downgrading. All very promising

Edited by kevin100 - 08 May 2023 at 12:25pm
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 1:37pm
Yeah, lots of movement expected this summer.

Aging Seniors
Doherty is a free agent. Turns 32 next season, hard to see him get a move to a Top Half club.
Coleman out of contract.
Duffy free agent.
Brady free agent.
Hendrick has 1 year left at NU, expect another Championship loan.
McClean out of contract. At 34 I can't see a Championship team picking him up.
Stevens is out of contract at SU.

Mid-20's
Ogbene out of contract, Swansea & Boro previously interested.
Manning out of contract.
McGrath will hopefully get out of Wigan, has a year on his contract.
Kelleher will move.
Travers, Championship loan. Won the Golden gloves last time, so he'd have plenty options.
McNally will want to be playing, will be interesting to see how high he can go.

U-23's
Connolly has a year left at Brighton, should go to Hull for the full season.
Parrott, another Championship loan, somewhere like Swansea.
Cannon, would like to see him playing every week rather than sitting on the bench at Everton.
Smallbone heading back to Southampton after a good first full season, hopefully he's 1st choice.
Coventry will likely be sold, can see a mid-table Championship club picking him up.
Azaz, Championship loan.
Knight needs to get out of Derby, hopefull to a top-half Championship (or equivalent) side.
Omobamidele likely sold to fund Norwich's rebuild.
Hodge, loan.
Phillips, Championship loan.
Furlong, I think he's out of contract at Brighton.
Oko-Flex, loan.
Adaramola, loan.
Noss, Johansson & Flynn need to get out and play senior football (all 22 this year).
Bagan needs a loan.
Lawal, loan.
Henry-Francis, loan.

Edited by Greenie50 - 08 May 2023 at 2:00pm
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 1:51pm

Just focusing on the younger lads, there's a lot that could be moving this summer -

Dara O'Shea - talk of a fire sale at West Brom if they don't go up and he might well attract interest given his age and experience. Very unfortunate timing for him to get injured though.

Andrew Omobamidele - whether it's agent talk or there's anything in it there definitely seems to be noises about him moving on this summer.

Caoimhin Kelleher - wherever he goes it needs to be somewhere he'll play every week.

Jason Knight - will probably head back to the Championship, anything better than that would be a welcome surprise.

Joe Hodge - would be good to see him ho out on loan and get a full season of first team football under his belt.

Troy Parrott - another Championship loan I'd say.

Mark Travers - Randolph being there as backup to Neto will hopefully allow him to move on to a Championship team, with on loan or permanent.

Danny McNamara - was linked to Fulham in January but has fallen a bit out of form in recent weeks

Aaron Connolly - probably another Championship loan, maybe Hull again

Luke McNally - Could end up as a makeweight in a potential transfer of Victor Gyokeres to Burnley, if Coventry don't go up. Unlikely but not impossible that he could be a Premier League player next season, which would be incredible progress for him.

Finn Azaz - not sure what his contract position is, he could be a squad player at Villa but more likely to go to a Championship team.

Eiran Cashin - should be looking for a Championship move but might stay loyal to Derby.

Conor Coventry - will probably leave West Ham permanently and move to the Championship.

Killian Phillips - another heading for the Championship, either on loan or permanently.

Andrew Moran - Probably a loan to the Championship or a Brighton feeder club on the continent.

Mikey Johnston - if Ange doesn't have a role for him at Celtic he should be looking to move on permanently.

Jack Taylor - might get a Championship move if Peterborough don't go up, Ipswich were heavily linked previously.

Tayo Adaramola - needs a loan to at least League 1 level after a false start to his senior career this season.

Joel Bagan - similar to Adaramola he probably needs to go to League 1.

Warren O'Hora - too good to be playing in League 2 so might be moving on from MK Dons

Gavin Kilkenny - needs a permanent move out of Bournemouth to a team that will give him a decent first team chance.

Rocco Vata - still young but would maybe benefit from a loan or move to get first team football.

Liam Scales - should hopefully make his move yo Aberdeen permanent.

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2023 at 2:09pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Just focusing on the younger lads, there's a lot that could be moving this summer -

Dara O'Shea - talk of a fire sale at West Brom if they don't go up and he might well attract interest given his age and experience. Very unfortunate timing for him to get injured though.

Andrew Omobamidele - whether it's agent talk or there's anything in it there definitely seems to be noises about him moving on this summer.

Caoimhin Kelleher - wherever he goes it needs to be somewhere he'll play every week.

Jason Knight - will probably head back to the Championship, anything better than that would be a welcome surprise.

Joe Hodge - would be good to see him ho out on loan and get a full season of first team football under his belt.

Troy Parrott - another Championship loan I'd say.

Mark Travers - Randolph being there as backup to Neto will hopefully allow him to move on to a Championship team, with on loan or permanent.

Danny McNamara - was linked to Fulham in January but has fallen a bit out of form in recent weeks

Aaron Connolly - probably another Championship loan, maybe Hull again

Luke McNally - Could end up as a makeweight in a potential transfer of Victor Gyokeres to Burnley, if Coventry don't go up. Unlikely but not impossible that he could be a Premier League player next season, which would be incredible progress for him.

Finn Azaz - not sure what his contract position is, he could be a squad player at Villa but more likely to go to a Championship team.

Eiran Cashin - should be looking for a Championship move but might stay loyal to Derby.

Conor Coventry - will probably leave West Ham permanently and move to the Championship.

Killian Phillips - another heading for the Championship, either on loan or permanently.

Andrew Moran - Probably a loan to the Championship or a Brighton feeder club on the continent.

Mikey Johnston - if Ange doesn't have a role for him at Celtic he should be looking to move on permanently.

Jack Taylor - might get a Championship move if Peterborough don't go up, Ipswich were heavily linked previously.

Tayo Adaramola - needs a loan to at least League 1 level after a false start to his senior career this season.

Joel Bagan - similar to Adaramola he probably needs to go to League 1.

Warren O'Hora - too good to be playing in League 2 so might be moving on from MK Dons

Gavin Kilkenny - needs a permanent move out of Bournemouth to a team that will give him a decent first team chance.

Rocco Vata - still young but would maybe benefit from a loan or move to get first team football.

Liam Scales - should hopefully make his move yo Aberdeen permanent.

On Travers he proved himself the best keeper in the Championship last year. Unfortunately for him he has lost out to the more experienced Neto as first choice in the Premier League. 

That doesn’t mean he wouldn’t be good enough for a League in between the PL and Championship in terms of quality if he wanted to push for a move into Europe. 

One thing with Irish players is they are too happy to just settle for eternal Championship football despite proving somewhat superior to it if they can’t quite bridge the gap to PL initially and they end up stalling/stagnating. Travers fits the bill perfectly as the type of player in between both at the moment. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:30pm
I'm sure there are others involved but off the top of my head, these are the movers and shakers in Chship/L1 - Feel free to update

UPS AND DOWNS
LEAGUE ONE UPS
Plymouth - Tyreik Wright, Finn Azaz (on loan from Villa)
Ipswich - Marcus Harness
Play Offs
Barnsley - Luca Connell, Barry Cotter
Peterboro - Jack Taylor
LEAGUE ONE DOWNS
MK Dons - Conor Grant, Dawson Devoy, Darragh Burns, Warren O'Hora
Forest Green - Corey O'Keefe, Dominic Bernard

CHAMPIONSHIP UPS
Burnley - Josh Cullen, Michael Obafemi, Luke Mc Nally (on loan at Coventry), Dara Costelloe (on loan at Bradford)
Sheffield United - John Egan, Enda Stevens (out of contract?)
Play Offs
Luton - Louie Watson
Middlesboro - Darragh Lenihan
Covntry - Luke Mc Nally (on loan from Burnley), Seanie Maguire
Sunderland - Irish eligible Denis Cirkin, Lynden Gooch???
CHAMPIONSHIP DOWNS
Reading - Jeffrey, John Clarke, Shane Long
Blackpool - Andy Lyons, CJ Hamilton
Wigan - Will Keane, Anthony Scully, Baba Adeeko, Jimmy Mac
Idah Dream!
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

One thing with Irish players is they are too happy to just settle for eternal Championship football despite proving somewhat superior to it if they can’t quite bridge the gap to PL initially and they end up stalling/stagnating. Travers fits the bill perfectly as the type of player in between both at the moment. 

In fact, John Nice's post stands out by illustrating the limited number of Irish players who are involved in the promotions and the play off pictures in the lower divisions. Far too many of our squad are just inhabiting the mid table positions at clubs like Preston, WBA, Norwich, and Stoke. In the lower divisions, there is quite an Irish contingent at Derby. Now that's not to say that there cant be a solid team fashioned out of those players, and incorporating those that are in the PL, or have been promoted. But I think it is just suggestive of the fact that it has been a very underwhelming season for the bulk of Irish players in England, and that the number of really progressive moves this summer could be rather limited. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

In fact, John Nice's post stands out by illustrating the limited number of Irish players who are involved in the promotions and the play off pictures in the lower divisions. Far too many of our squad are just inhabiting the mid table positions at clubs like Preston, WBA, Norwich, and Stoke. In the lower divisions, there is quite an Irish contingent at Derby. Now that's not to say that there cant be a solid team fashioned out of those players, and incorporating those that are in the PL, or have been promoted. But I think it is just suggestive of the fact that it has been a very underwhelming season for the bulk of Irish players in England, and that the number of really progressive moves this summer could be rather limited. 

Whether or not the moves turn out to be progressive or not, I think there will be a lot of movement of senior Ireland squad players in the summer. Of the players called up to the last squad, I would expect/hope that the following lads move on to pastures new during the summer.

Gk - Kelleher, Travers
Def - Doherty, Mc Clean, Omobamidele, O'Shea (maybe), Brady (out of contract?)
Mid - Hendrick, Knight, Smallbone. Johnston, Mc Grath
Att - Ogbene, Parrott, Keane

That's over half the first team squad and there are a heap of other lads on the fringes who will/should also move on - Manning, Lyons, Stevens, Scales, Cashin, Mc Nally, Coventry, Kilkenny, Taylor (if not promoted), Azaz. CJ Hamilton.

It's going to be an exciting summer from that perspective.
Idah Dream!
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:55pm

Off the top of my head Manning, Molumby were POTY...Armstrong YPOTY. O Shea was having a good season before injury. Cannon & Smallbone have done well. Vaughan breaking through at Hull. Sykes a decent season. McGuiness one od Cardiffs betters players after being a standout at Sheff Wed & Omabomadele captained Norwich. McNamara & Smodzics had decent seasons as well. Not too bad.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 2:56pm
Maybe worth a look at what Irish players could be playing Premier League football next season. Surely this season has to have been the low point, we were a two minute Nathan Collins sub appearance away from not having a single Irish player involved in a full round of fixtures, which is incredible really. Next season looks potentially better though.

Evan Ferguson should be a nailed on starter for Brighton most weeks, even allowing for them signing a £30m striker from Watford last week.

John Egan should start when fit at Sheffield United.

Similarly Josh Cullen at Burnley.

Judging by transfer speculation Caoimhin Kelleher is maybe finally going to get a shot as a first choice Premier League keeper next season.

Nathan Collins will be pushing hard to get his starting place back at Wolves.

If Everton stay up we might see Seamus Coleman get his contract renewed for one more season, he might be more of a squad player next time though.

Tom Cannon might get his chance there as well, I'm guessing they won't be spending too heavily with the stadium build ongoing.

Matt Doherty may well return to the league with a team further down the table than Tottenham.

Enda Stevens might yet have a squad role at Sheffield United. They may decide against keeping on Ciaran Clark though.

Michael Obafemi will hopefully get a shot with Burnley. After his strong loan showing Luke McNally might get another shot with them as well, or even get promoted with his loan side Coventry.

Darragh Lenihan could yet go up with Middlesbrough.

Either or both of Dara O'Shea and Andrew Omobamidele could transfer up from the Championship, both are tipped to be sold by their clubs to raise funds and decent young centre backs are always in demand.

Someone might take a shot on Ryan Manning, or less likely Chiedozie Ogbene, who are both available for free.

Younger lads like Andrew Moran and Joe Hodge might get more game time, but could also go out on loan.

Not all of those will happen, but overall next season looks much more promising for our lads in terms of the Premier League.

Also technically returning to the Premier League will be Jeff Hendrick and Aaron Connolly. While somehow, incredibly, Harry Arter still has another year left on his £40,000 a week contract with Nottingham Forest. I wonder what he does with his time?!

Edited by You Tell Me - 09 May 2023 at 3:21pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Off the top of my head Manning, Molumby were POTY...Armstrong YPOTY. O Shea was having a good season before injury. Cannon & Smallbone have done well. Vaughan breaking through at Hull. Sykes a decent season. McGuiness one od Cardiffs betters players after being a standout at Sheff Wed & Omabomadele captained Norwich. McNamara & Smodzics had decent seasons as well. Not too bad.

More underwhelming. Players have undoubtedly had their moments, but generally have not been involved in the shake up, further up the league. I suppose if we are drawing heavily from the championship, I'd like to see more that just a handful of players amongst the personal and team awards.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 4:03pm

Tom Cannon might get his chance there as well, I'm guessing they won't be spending too heavily with the stadium build ongoing.

Ashley Barnes will be a free agent and would assume Dyche has been on to him already about signing. Best bet for Cannon is probably another loan to a better Championship team to play week in week out.
longford claret View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote longford claret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Ashley Barnes will be a free agent and would assume Dyche has been on to him already about signing. Best bet for Cannon is probably another loan to a better Championship team to play week in week out.
Rumours are Ashley Barnes is heading to Norwich. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2023 at 9:09pm

More underwhelming. Players have undoubtedly had their moments, but generally have not been involved in the shake up, further up the league. I suppose if we are drawing heavily from the championship, I'd like to see more that just a handful of players amongst the personal and team awards.
Mc Clean, Egan, Lenihan, Mc Nally, Cashin, Hourihane, Azaz, O'Leary, Lyons, O'Dowda, Browne, Ogbene all had very decent seasons individually also, Ebosele, Hodge and Moran all making progress, Coventry too. Glass half full for me. 
Idah Dream!
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 8:40pm

I do think in general it will be progress rather then regressive. We definitely saw that last summer and you see the Ireland squads no League 1 players in them and even the French game you actually had a few half decent options off the bench in attack. Also a lot of the players at Top 6/8 Championship clubs are younger players which bodes well.

Back to your original point Travers fits that bill and O’Shea is another type of player if he can’t get the PL move and West Brom don’t go up themselves in the next year or two he ought to show some ambition and source a move into top flight football in Europe as opposed to pissing about down the Championship forever. 

Edited by kevin100 - 10 May 2023 at 8:42pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2023 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Mc Clean, Egan, Lenihan, Mc Nally, Cashin, Hourihane, Azaz, O'Leary, Lyons, O'Dowda, Browne, Ogbene all had very decent seasons individually also, Ebosele, Hodge and Moran all making progress, Coventry too. Glass half full for me. 

Kelleher,Mcnamara,O’Shea,McNally,Molumby,Travers are what I would call the first half decent generation of players we have had born in the same year or in close proximity (Kelleher,McNamara Dec 98) since Brady,Egan,Doherty,Duffy all born in 1992.

They are all 24yo or approaching it now and of those 6 Kelleher is likely to be playing PL football,Travers has gotten some taste of it,Mcnally and O’Shea are remote possibilities to be playing it next year too. McNamara had the link to Fulham recently. 

Will be interesting to see what these boys do in the next few years all have proven themselves comfortably more then able for Championship football. 

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:45am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Rumours are Ashley Barnes is heading to Norwich. 

I'd say Cannon has a fair chance of being kept at Everton next season regardless of the division. They need a back up to Calvert-Lewin and Cannon's style of play is reasonably similar. If they go down, its highly unlikely Calvert-Lewin stays there and Cannon then comes in to the reckoning as a starter for them. He just has to be careful that he doesnt end up in a situation where he doesnt get enough first team minutes there.

He is nearly a year younger than Parrott though, he doesnt turn 21 until the end of December, so he has plenty of time on his side. 
Idah Dream!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 123124125126>
  Share Topic