Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Irish Player Transfers 2019/20/21 Season

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 126>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:56pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What a bizarrely pedantic quip? Are English-born players who are called up to Ireland U-21 camps and named in matchday squads not considered former Ireland U-21's anymore? Fair enough, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

English born has nothing to do with it, he never played for the 21s so how is he a former under 21 plated?

The discussion is on an earlier post where HH wrote “his brother STOLE caps” referring to Courtney Duffus who played U21 for us

It's an expression making light of how many granny rule players Noel King called up for the sake of it. He even called up players who would literally never go on to play a senior game at a professional level [Matthew Hamilton, Wigan]. Hamilton was yet another striker called up to the U-21's seemingly for no reason other than the fact he was English, and eligible.

Except Duffus was clearly superior to most of the other options available at the time. He'd already played senior football for Cheltenham, and he subsequently went on to have decent scoring records for Waterford and Yeovil. He's never going to be a great player, but he was certainly not one of King's more unjustified call ups.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:00pm

What a bizarrely pedantic quip? Are English-born players who are called up to Ireland U-21 camps and named in matchday squads not considered former Ireland U-21's anymore? Fair enough, whatever floats your boat I suppose.

English born has nothing to do with it, he never played for the 21s so how is he a former under 21 plated?

The discussion is on an earlier post where HH wrote “his brother STOLE caps” referring to Courtney Duffus who played U21 for us

It's an expression making light of how many granny rule players Noel King called up for the sake of it. He even called up players who would literally never go on to play a senior game at a professional level [Matthew Hamilton, Wigan]. Hamilton was yet another striker called up to the U-21's seemingly for no reason other than the fact he was English, and eligible.

Except Duffus was clearly superior to most of the other options available at the time. He'd already played senior football for Cheltenham, and he subsequently went on to have decent scoring records for Waterford and Yeovil. He's never going to be a great player, but he was certainly not one of King's more unjustified call ups.

Evidently, he wasn't "clearly superior" FFS. Less than a year after his last U-21 call-up he was in the LOI, ironically the same league Givens and King ignored while calling up any eligible player in the top 5 leagues in England.

He never made a senior appearance for Cheltenham, either.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 22 Sep 2020 at 1:02pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:03pm

Is Shane Supple a former full Ireland international?

It blatently does. If I was to refer to say, Sean Heaney (who was in the same squad as Tyrone Duffus) as a former Ireland U-21 international, yourself and Hissyfit Hoolahan wouldn't have batted an eyelid. However, because Tyrone Duffus is English-born and has a brother who supposedly "stole caps", it became an issue.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:05pm

Evidently, he wasn't "clearly superior" FFS. Less than a year after his last U-21 call-up he was in the LOI, ironically the same league Givens and King ignored while calling up any eligible player in the top 5 leagues in England.

He never made a senior appearance for Cheltenham, either.

You're correct, it was Bury he made senior appearances for, not Cheltenham. Interesting you chose to omit that Clap
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:24pm

It blatently does. If I was to refer to say, Sean Heaney (who was in the same squad as Tyrone Duffus) as a former Ireland U-21 international, yourself and Hissyfit Hoolahan wouldn't have batted an eyelid. However, because Tyrone Duffus is English-born and has a brother who supposedly "stole caps", it became an issue.

Did Heaney play for the 21s?

If not then he isn’t a f**king former under 21 international! It’s that simple.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:37pm

Would you have chimed in if I was talking about Heaney though, that is the point? Would you f*ck being the answer.
We're decent enough..
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:49pm

Would you have chimed in if I was talking about Heaney though, that is the point? Would you f*ck being the answer.

Even when you know you are wrong you keep arguing! You are one very sad individual.
DalyerRegular View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DalyerRegular Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:53pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:10pm

Even when you know you are wrong you keep arguing! You are one very sad individual.

Hissyfit Hoolahan LOL

I gave him the dictionary definition of what the word international means and yet he still insists on arguing. Foul language out of him as well. Triggered.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 22 Sep 2020 at 2:12pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Kevin Toner has a new club ....

Wow - Bizarre career.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 2:25pm

Originally posted by DalyerRegular DalyerRegular wrote:

Kevin Toner has a new club ....

Wow - Bizarre career.

I think he's a cautionary tale to anyone who assumes someone has made it because they've got a run of games at a big PL or Championship team.

Sean Kavanagh is another lad who people had high hopes for.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 5:58pm
Mark McGuinness has joined Ipswich on loan, pushing Corrie Ndaba further down the pecking order.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:12pm
Great for McGuinness!
Ndaba seems to be stalling
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:38pm
Ndaba often plays at left back. Regardless of McGuinness, he was highly unlikely to get a chance at centre back for Ipswich this year. Himself and Barry Cotter realistically need moves to L2/the Conference.
We're decent enough..
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:40pm
Cotter is a strange one. Absolutely tore it up on his debut for Ipswich under mick Mac and was never seen again
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:47pm
Cotter seems to be a great athlete but not much a footballer, so it's probably not a surprise he doesn't suit Lamberts possession based style. He may well suit a more direct or counter attacking side though.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 3:15pm
Michael O'Connor has signed for Ross County from Waterford.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:58pm
One that may have been missed; Shane Blaney was released by Doncaster a couple of months ago, doesn't seem to have picked up a new club yet.

In non-league - Louis Dunne has signed for Farnborough from Colchester; and former U-21 international Shamir Fenelon has signed for Billericay from Maidenhead.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 126>
  Share Topic