Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:19pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

England on the right track to host this if it goes to a single country.

Providing the Tories don't f**k up the re-openings again 

Fortunately the folk running the vaccine operation have been left to do the job. Given the numbers vaccinated to date (nearly a 1/3 of the population of England) re-opening in April should be fine.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:47pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

England on the right track to host this if it goes to a single country.

Providing the Tories don't f**k up the re-openings again 

Fortunately the folk running the vaccine operation have been left to do the job. Given the numbers vaccinated to date (nearly a 1/3 of the population of England) re-opening in April should be fine.

Well half vacinated - most still need the second dose. I think there is talk that the efl cup final will trial 30,000 fans in April. 
Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:10am
The Tories are doing a great job getting folk to focus on the jab numbers and ignore the case / death numbers. Like everyone else there’s too much of the virus in communities to consider lifting as per the the leaked document.

It’s still a long road ahead - if they jump the gun cases and deaths will continue but hey... we got to host a football event.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021 at 8:34am
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

The Tories are doing a great job getting folk to focus on the jab numbers and ignore the case / death numbers. Like everyone else there’s too much of the virus in communities to consider lifting as per the the leaked document.

It’s still a long road ahead - if they jump the gun cases and deaths will continue but hey... we got to host a football event.

By the time the Euro comes around everybody in the high risk category (25M) will have 2 doses (this is due end of April).
I would imagine all adults will have had one dose by then so the UK will be in a much different place then...

colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:47pm

Give it to the Brits so we can have a normal Euros 

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

• Performances and large events can resume, with some limits. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • International travel will resume no earlier than 17 May

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

• All legal limits on social contact will be removed
  • No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events. From April, the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings, festivals and work conferences. This will help to determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing
  • Nightclubs and theatres will be allowed to reopen
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 7:51pm
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

If that’s the case after well over half the country being vaccinated/offered the vaccine then it will be a case of get on with life what do we do lock away forever.

Anyways as for Euro 2021 Ireland might see fans in stadiums by 2025 if our lot are anything to go by.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm

Give it to the Brits so we can have a normal Euros 

Stage three

No earlier than 17 May:

• Performances and large events can resume, with some limits. For indoor events they can be at half capacity or 1,000 people, and outdoors they can be at half capacity or 4,000 people - whichever is lower. For large venues (at least 40,000 capacity) up to 10,000 will be allowed to attend
  • International travel will resume no earlier than 17 May

Stage four

No earlier than 21 June:

• All legal limits on social contact will be removed
  • No legal limits on the number of people who can attend weddings, funerals and other life events. From April, the government will run pilots for events such as large weddings, festivals and work conferences. This will help to determine how measures such as enhanced testing might allow large groups to attend without social distancing
  • Nightclubs and theatres will be allowed to reopen

There's a lot of if's in there. Vaccine Role out or not the Brits have f**ked up every re-opening so far.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 22 Feb 2021 at 8:21pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
JohnSwift View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnSwift Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 8:43pm
Giving the Euros to Britain would seem like the sensible option at this stage. They seem to have got their act together. They’ve gambled with the vaccines and the early studies would suggest it’s working. Some great stadia to host the matches as well.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 9:30pm
The vaccine they're rolling out in the UK is considerably less effective in percentage terms than the ones being rolled out in Ireland, elsewhere in Europe and the US. It is also far more prone to being bypassed by new variants than the other vaccines. Given how the UK has handled the pandemic so far I can see the whole vaccination program there failing when the south African or Brazilian variant takes hold and the vaccine theyve given half the country becomes useless to them.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The vaccine they're rolling out in the UK is considerably less effective in percentage terms than the ones being rolled out in Ireland, elsewhere in Europe and the US. It is also far more prone to being bypassed by new variants than the other vaccines. Given how the UK has handled the pandemic so far I can see the whole vaccination program there failing when the south African or Brazilian variant takes hold and the vaccine theyve given half the country becomes useless to them.

Is the Pfizer vaccine the UK are using different to the one Ireland / Europe are using? They are coming from the same factory so how are they splitting the good ones from the bad ones? They better not mix them up and give those b***ards the good ones.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:30pm
The vast majority of the UK population are being given AstraZenica, hence the faster rollout. It's only around 60% effective compared to the likes of Pfizer at 90%+.

They'll end up having to re-vaccinate the entire population.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:36pm

The vast majority of the UK population are being given AstraZenica, hence the faster rollout. It's only around 60% effective compared to the likes of Pfizer at 90%+.

Is that the same with the North? I thought Pfizer was the main one being used up here.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:40pm

Okay so the 40M Pfizer vaccines the Uk have ordered is the same as the one for the rest of Europe.

Everybody in the world will have to be vaccinated again -  with so many variants this is looking like an annual vaccine similar to the flu. 

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Is that the same with the North? I thought Pfizer was the main one being used up here.

The hospitals all seem to be using the Pfizer ones as they have the facilities to store them.

If you are going to your local GP it’s more likely to be the AstraZenica.

The % split between Pfizer and AZ has never been released so nobody knows if the vast majority has gotten the Pfizer / AZ or if it’s evenly split. 

BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

The hospitals all seem to be using the Pfizer ones as they have the facilities to store them.

The % split between Pfizer and AZ has never been released so nobody knows if the vast majority has gotten the Pfizer / AZ or if it’s evenly split. 

Cheers. 

Are the ‘effective percentages’ mentioned above correct?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:55pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Cheers. 

Are the ‘effective percentages’ mentioned above correct?

All the drug companies are obviously pushing theirs as the best and there has been a number of ranges published. 
AZ in particular has had mixed reviews. 

Pfizer would definitely seem the preferred option if you have the choice.

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Feb 2021 at 10:56pm

Latest Update from earlier today:

The first results of the UK's vaccination rollout suggests it is having a "spectacular impact on preventing serious illness" from coronavirus. Research led by Public Health Scotland found that at four weeks after the first dose, Covid hospital admissions were reduced by 85% for the Pfizer jab, and 94% for the AstraZeneca jab. Lead researcher Prof Aziz Sheikh said the results were "very, very" impressive and both vaccines were working "spectacularly".
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56140072

And from yesterday:
There is "early data" showing a reduction in transmission in people who have had a coronavirus vaccine, the health secretary has said.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56145392

Thanks, I'll pass it on.

Edited by Territorial - 22 Feb 2021 at 11:00pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
  Share Topic