You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 4:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

what would have been the benefits if this went ahead and who would benefited.  

No one really. I don’t care that it’s not here but reality is saying it was the right decision to keep people safe is absolutely crazy stuff. You can’t stop life and we are the only ones in Europe doing this. It should be a hint to people but clearly not. 

2k people are dead from Covid in the first 4 months of this year but do keep on acting like it's not a massive thing

No one is saying it’s not a big deal. This has happened during the longest lockdown in the world essentially so that proves stopping life is destroying the country hence destroying people not saving them. 

If plenty countries and states where having 10 times the deaths with little restrictions then I’d say that’s fair enough but reality is it’s not. 

Also we get 9000 cancer deaths every year so 3000 on average every 4 months yet that hasn’t stopped us delaying cancer treatment for 12 months? 

It’s not about not taking it serious it’s about perspective,measures that are destroying rather then saving and we have lost all of the former and doing the latter at serious pace.

Edited by kevin100 - 23 Apr 2021 at 4:29pm
Sponsored Links

TigerRoll View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TigerRoll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by TigerRoll TigerRoll wrote:

Not a fan of how it's being published in the media

Sky Sports for example Big yellow Banner "DUBLIN STRIPPED OF EURO GAMES"

Stripped makes it sound like it was done as a punishment when in fact it was a decision by the Government to not put any more of the population at risk. As I said before the insistence of UEFA that there needed to be a certain percentage of fans at games (Probably the capacity needed for them to break even or make a profit) was horrendous and showed they don't care about the health and safety of not only the fans but the players.

If come the end of June and start of July there is a spike in cases around Europe then will the decision from Government to keep us safe be derided.  

There is a completely other way to look at this. It's a huge loss to the economy in Ireland, hotels, private coach companies, bars and restaurants. The Irish government has essentially said Ireland is closed. This insistence on an ineffective hotel quarantine, that can be bypassed via the 500km land border on the Island. 
There isn't going to be another spike due to the effectiveness of the vaccines. By June/July the EU travel 'passport' will be in place and families/friends will be reconnected across Europe.  
The EU updated its guidance yesterday evening for those who have already been vaccinated also, social distancing/face masks will be gone by July. Simply look at US. 

Dublins loss, is Londons gain. Sadly there will be no buzz about Dublin, simply more fans in London.

Of course it's a blow to the economy the whole pandemic has been a blow to the pandemic, Again I don't really care if Ireland is closed as it's a decision made to keep people safe until we've vaccinated enough of the population. 

How do you know there wouldn't be a spike? 

In terms of Hotel quarantine yes having a land border with the UK who have different rules is an issue and probably has resulted in cases here. Sure we seen a spike in the border counties when the UK decided to relax restrictions last year. 

Also the games went to Saint Petersburg not London (bar the Last 16)

‘Probably’ but it also probably hasn’t. Those travelling into the U.K. have to provide a negative Covid test. People seem to completely ignore this fact along with many others. ‘Last year’ that’s also the issue, this year we’ve 4 vaccines that are highly effective. Much better than expected, with the U.K. being one which is on course for 60% of the entire population in the coming weeks. 

The evidence in the USA and the continued updated guidance from the CDC which loosens as days go on nearly as this stage is my evidence. We’re talking full stadiums. 
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 6:00pm
We need Sid back.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 6:30pm

Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Topper now an expert on viruses I see as well and an epidemiologist 

I will assume that’s directed at myself. I’ve 0 idea who Topper is as a few posters have referred to me as. However, I’m not an epidemiologist. But there is a rhetoric that has developed in this Island that is toxic. People aren’t allowed to look forward to events, ie football. That with health precautions which the entirety of the EU has planned to adopt, also the CDC Guidance in the USA. Also Britain’s. Ireland is the ugly duckling, odd one out. This event could have went ahead, safely. As it will do across the rest of the EU, and Britain. 

There’s no direct flights from India. Those who travel from India traditionally travel on the UAE/Qatar carriers, they’re on the quarantine list. Second option via Britain. Well India is on Britain’s, so you get 14 days in the Novotel in London Heathrow. 
Also a travel expert....surprise surprise. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I'd be raging for selfish reasons if we had qualified. It would have been interesting to know if FF/FG would have had the same policy if we had. We'll never know. Right decision. Very little to be gained by hosting games here. 

They'd have 100% gone ahead with it if we'd qualified. 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 7:29pm
FAI were potentially not pushing too hard either without us qualified and doing a little deal where we get the Europa league final in a few years and a windfall from that probably not a bad outcome considering hospitality will be back open by then, unless the government still finding reasons to stay closed 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 7:29pm
half a million for the Dalymount project.  Would rather that than hosting these games. 
AKA pedantic kunt
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

The one thing this forum has been missing is a few COVID conspiracy theories. Looking forward to reading them

Matt Cooper shared one yesterday that was doing the rounds (and is plausible):-

-ESL announced 
-UEFA need to stop it
-Russia a bit pissed off not to be part of ESL and like to stick their beek in anyway
-UEFA and Russia talk
-Putin phones his old friend Roman in London
-Chelsea pull out of the ESL
-ESL collapses
-UEFA give all 3 of Dublins group matches to Russia

All in 5 days too.

Edited by rebelbrowser - 24 Apr 2021 at 12:31pm
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 3:59pm

Not a fan of how it's being published in the media

Sky Sports for example Big yellow Banner "DUBLIN STRIPPED OF EURO GAMES"

Stripped makes it sound like it was done as a punishment when in fact it was a decision by the Government to not put any more of the population at risk. As I said before the insistence of UEFA that there needed to be a certain percentage of fans at games (Probably the capacity needed for them to break even or make a profit) was horrendous and showed they don't care about the health and safety of not only the fans but the players.

If come the end of June and start of July there is a spike in cases around Europe then will the decision from Government to keep us safe be derided.  

It's not important what the situation is now, it's more important what the situation is in June. 

Every other host country is confident, they can safely accommodate the basic requirements in the mid summer, when most people are already vaccinated, for an outdoor sports event. With 130,000 dead, the Brits are opening their stadiums to the public, and with them full, with all the tourism and economic benefits that result. 

With just a fraction of those deaths per day, the Irish Government have said it's not safe enough, in the middle of summer, in an outdoor environment. The only country to tell UEFA to pfo. Maybe not many of us wanted to know, but you can guarantee the Poles and Slovaks here did. They have been punished for doing nothing wrong. By then, the chance of ending up in a box just because you sat 20 yards away from the nearest other person outdoors, attending 1 of 51 Euro 2020 games will be miniscule. 

It is a sad day for Irish football that we're the outcasts of Europe. 11 other countries have decided they can guarantee public safety and they can't all be wrong. We are the only country ever to host a qualifying draw and not host a game. God knows when we'll get the chance to host another tournament again.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

The one thing this forum has been missing is a few COVID conspiracy theories. Looking forward to reading them

-ESL announced 
-UEFA need to stop it
-Russia a bit pissed off not to be part of ESL and like to stick their beek in anyway
-UEFA and Russia talk
-ESL collapses

All in 5 days too.

Chelsea never wanted/financially needed to be in the super league. They just didn't want to be left behind. Once the wind was obviously blowing away from the Super League, they were like "fook this. We (quite literally) don't need this."

Russia just held the most recent World Cup, so could be relied upon at short notice take over these matches. This doesn't seem much of conspiracy and more of an obvious solution 

Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 5:20pm
Russia and England have been touted as possible countries that could host all of the Euros if they were needed. Not sure why I'm bothering responding to that ludacris conspiracy theory 
It would damage this forums' reputation
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

I'd be raging for selfish reasons if we had qualified. It would have been interesting to know if FF/FG would have had the same policy if we had. We'll never know. Right decision. Very little to be gained by hosting games here. 

They'd have 100% gone ahead with it if we'd qualified. 

I'm sure you're right and they would have caved to public pressure. Could have been a disaster. I wonder if the Nordy's qualified what would they have done. Would have been funny hearing them moaning if their planned train trip to Dublin had changed to a flight to St Petersburg at relatively short notice! Still happier they didn't qualify though. 
whitesideOnside View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whitesideOnside Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by rebelbrowser rebelbrowser wrote:

-ESL announced 
-UEFA need to stop it
-UEFA and Russia talk
-ESL collapses

All in 5 days too.
Monday morning - FAI CEO phones Bank of Ireland to say an anonymous deposit has been lodged to clear stadium mortgage and all other FAI debts.
Our old friend would surely have managed this situation. Debt free by 2021Clap

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

[With 130,000 dead, the Brits are opening their stadiums to the public, and with them full, with all the tourism and economic benefits that result. 

With just a fraction of those deaths per day, the Irish Government have said it's not safe enough, in the middle of summer, in an outdoor environment.

You're overlooking one critical factor: the effect of vaccination.

To date, 33.5m people in the UK have had their 1st jab, with another 12m having had their 2nd.

Meaning that today , for example, the UK reported 2,061 new cases, ROI 461 (i.e. 4.5 x times as many).
UK has 1,781 patients in hospital with Covid (104 down on Friday), ROI has 162 (x 11.0)
While the UK reported 32 new deaths, the ROI 5 (x 6.4)

These should be set against the fact that with 67m people, the UK has 13.7 x times the population of ROI (4.9m).

And with all three metrics, the UK's figures have fallen consistently since the vaccination programme got into full swing, and continues to fall.

Now I should add that this is not a "mickey-measuring contest". Nor is it a comment on the Irish government's decision over the AVIVA.

But it clearly shows why the UK is confident enough to proceed with hosting as many games as they can get. Indeed, the FA is very hopeful that by the time they get to the latter stages of the competition, they'll be able to raise capacity at Wembley from 25% to 50%, with their CEO even suggesting today that 90k (100%) might even be possible for the Final. (stress the "might".)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:24pm
I had to go for a medical appointment the other day in Dublin.  Had to get a rapid antigen test before I was allowed in the clinic.  Results were got in 10 mins. Only then was I allowed in.

They should be using these for lots of purposes such as sports events, nursing homes etc.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I had to go for a medical appointment the other day in Dublin.  Had to get a rapid antigen test before I was allowed in the clinic.  Results were got in 10 mins. Only then was I allowed in.

They should be using these for lots of purposes such as sports events, nursing homes etc.

It must be a strong possibility that people attending games at Wembley will be required either to take one of these tests before entering, or show proof of a recent negative test result, or produce proof of vaccination.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2021 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

You're overlooking one critical factor: the effect of vaccination.

To date, 33.5m people in the UK have had their 1st jab, with another 12m having had their 2nd.

Meaning that today , for example, the UK reported 2,061 new cases, ROI 461 (i.e. 4.5 x times as many).
UK has 1,781 patients in hospital with Covid (104 down on Friday), ROI has 162 (x 11.0)
While the UK reported 32 new deaths, the ROI 5 (x 6.4)

These should be set against the fact that with 67m people, the UK has 13.7 x times the population of ROI (4.9m).

And with all three metrics, the UK's figures have fallen consistently since the vaccination programme got into full swing, and continues to fall.

My first sentence was it doesn't matter what the situation is now, it matters in June. By June, the situation should be considerably better in Ireland than it is now. Lansdowne Road would easily accommodate 12,500 vaccinated people. Even if they are not Irish. Countries with recent spikes are still confident they can do so, by June. 

Holland are that confident, they are opening up their stadiums to crowds in the coming days, well before the UK does. They're even allowing Eurovision to go ahead indoors next month. Just as well we didn't win it the last time, or it would have been another virtual event, at best. 
Deco View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 12:22am
Disappointed with the decision, but with us not being there softens the blow a little bit. 
Let the Games begin ...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
  Share Topic