Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Fans or not, it makes zero sense flying players and staff back forth around Europe. Stick it one country. 

Germany probably would have been a shoe in only for that they're going to be hosting the euros next time out.

Would imagine UEFA could have simply asked them to switch to this year, which again I'd imagine they could do.

Though I'd say given they've banned travel from most places (AFAIK) they rejected this.

I don't think personally that the multi country Euros will take place, it will most likely be England as they do have a good distribution of stadiums within geo areas to avoid much travel in the group stages

Let's say

Group A- Liverpool- Anfield and Goodison

Group B- Birmingham- Villa Park and St. Andrews

Group C- North East- St James Park and Stadium of Light

Group D- Manchester- Old trafford and Etihad

Group E - London- Emirates and Spurs

Group F- South Coast - St Marys and Brightons ground(AMEX?)
Sponsored Links

Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 2:58pm
I'll be f**king raging if they switched Germany to this year. Has the makings of a great trip in 3 years whether we qualify or not
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:00pm
I would give it to England Scotland and Wales just to see the DUP combust
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:03pm
Several journos reporting yesterday that UEFA still want to stick to the original idea of having it across Europe. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

I'll be f**king raging if they switched Germany to this year. Has the makings of a great trip in 3 years whether we qualify or not

Also, Germany would be like none of your cornona virus sloppy seconds, thanks very much. 

We would actually like to host a Euros with fans with an actual bit of buzz about it. 
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 5:47pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I don't think personally that the multi country Euros will take place, it will most likely be England as they do have a good distribution of stadiums within geo areas to avoid much travel in the group stages

Let's say

Can't see St. Andrews being nearly up to UEFA's ever-expanding stadium standards. In fact I'd guess the same for Goodison, maybe even Villa Park?

Whereas MK Dons seems to have been built to fairly modern standards and is pretty central - capacity is low, but that mightn't be a factor if numbers are restricted.

You could even see them bringing in Cardiff City/Millennium, or Twickenham?

Proximity to an airport to fly teams in and out on charters may also be a factor.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:06pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Let's say

Can't see St. Andrews being nearly up to UEFA's ever-expanding stadium standards. In fact I'd guess the same for Goodison, maybe even Villa Park?

Whereas MK Dons seems to have been built to fairly modern standards and is pretty central - capacity is low, but that mightn't be a factor if numbers are restricted.

You could even see them bringing in Cardiff City/Millennium, or Twickenham?

Proximity to an airport to fly teams in and out on charters may also be a factor.

I just used them as examples tbh as they were close together 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:11pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Fans or not, it makes zero sense flying players and staff back forth around Europe. Stick it one country. 

Germany probably would have been a shoe in only for that they're going to be hosting the euros next time out.

Would imagine UEFA could have simply asked them to switch to this year, which again I'd imagine they could do.

Though I'd say given they've banned travel from most places (AFAIK) they rejected this.

Let's say

The group featuring the great spectacles of Austria and North Macedonia, sounds about right LOL

North East stadia always get the leftovers although we did get New Zealand for 1 match during the Rugby WC Shocked
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Several journos reporting yesterday that UEFA still want to stick to the original idea of having it across Europe. 

Reputable ones at that 

Heard before its become a game of chicken essentially, if uefa pulls the plug, they'd have to pay the associations compensation, hence none have pulled out of their own accord. 
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Reputable ones at that 

Heard before its become a game of chicken essentially, if uefa pulls the plug, they'd have to pay the associations compensation, hence none have pulled out of their own accord. 

Exactly-  UEFA can’t take it off them with paying compensation.
With time running out it will be held as planned, just with reduced fans.

The semifinals and finals will be full at Wembley. 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2021 at 2:35am
Jesus I wish we qualified and have one thing to look forward to

No matter where it ends up being hosted it would of been a great buzz 

Edited by Healy52003 - 26 Feb 2021 at 2:36am
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:37pm
Looks like Dublin could be cut. UEFA looking for guarantees over fans being allowed in, at least 50% capacity is what UEFA are hoping for 

Edited by wanderer - 03 Mar 2021 at 5:39pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:40pm
Bilbao as well although those games could go elsewhere in Spain

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Mar 2021 at 5:40pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:41pm
Be interesting to see if the FAI get some sort of "compensation" from UEFA with it being them making the call rather than themselves.  A UEFA Super Cup in a few years maybe

Edited by Denis Irwin - 03 Mar 2021 at 5:46pm

BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:54pm
At the moment I've not read anything here about fans in stadia before the end of the Bundesliga especially here in Munich.
Would be surprised if that remained the case that they would open up for the Euros.
They have just extended restrictions till the end of March (though opened hairdressers & garden centres).
Let's just say if bars / restaurants are not opened they will not be looking at 35K people getting the U6 out to the Allianz

kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by wanderer wanderer wrote:

Looks like Dublin could be cut. UEFA looking for guarantees over fans being allowed in, at least 50% capacity is what UEFA are hoping for 

We won’t have 50% capacity guaranteed by 2041 the way we are behaving
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:46pm
Now that we haven't qualified I honestly couldn't care less whether we host it or not. It's going to be a soulless enough tournament anyway if it's spread all over Europe in half empty stadiums at best. 
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Now that we haven't qualified I honestly couldn't care less whether we host it or not. It's going to be a soulless enough tournament anyway if it's spread all over Europe in half empty stadiums at best. 

Yeah, no loss. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 15>
  Share Topic