You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Euro 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by Artie Ziff Artie Ziff wrote:

If and it's a big if England were to host it would be one hell of a pr coup for Boris Johnson, "we vaccinated the country in record time and we can host the Euros". A good way to deflect from the outrageously high death rate. You can only imagine the red tops headlines; Boris saves Europe 3 months after Brexit 

Aye, and can you imagine what it would be like if England managed to win the bloody thing? LOL

"A triumph for Boris' Boys!"

Tbh I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't try to get Southgate pick him (though Eddie Jones might be more amenable!)

Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:13pm
The Copa America is in need of a couple of replacement teams if Stephen and the lads fancy a kickabout while the Euros are on.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Feb 2021 at 10:14pm
VanBosch View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VanBosch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The Copa America is in need of a couple of replacement teams if Stephen and the lads fancy a kickabout while the Euros are on.

Would love us to compete in that, not this year though as I’d love to go!
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by VanBosch VanBosch wrote:

Would love us to compete in that, not this year though as I’d love to go!

I’ve always said this - it would be an epic away trip. 

wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:25pm
I could genuinely see us getting an invite be a perfect country for it
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:28pm
Well we were planning a warm weather training camp and some away friendlies in June in any case...

Being more realistic though I'd be surprised if the South Americans wanted us anywhere near the place given our current standing in the game.
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:33pm
Maybe I'm a too romantic but I feel with argentinia being one of the hosts and are connection to argentinia we are going to have a shout if we want it and would surely provide revenue alas euro 2020

Looking at flights as we speak ...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 6:55am

Well we were planning a warm weather training camp and some away friendlies in June in any case...

Being more realistic though I'd be surprised if the South Americans wanted us anywhere near the place given our current standing in the game.

We would definitely stink the place out with our football.

But they don’t want to invite a country that could actually win it!
However we would bring 20k+ fans (not this year but any other we would).

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:02am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

20k fans ? Are you on the sauce zk120 ? 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

20k fans ? Are you on the sauce zk120 ? 

I’m sure half of them would never have been to Lansdowne road but with no Euro / no world cups coming up an International tournament in South America would appeal to the masses.
A great country, FOMO and the IG experience! 
A lot of Oirish in N America too. 

Okay 20k is a bit much, 10k? 

Fatnacho View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatnacho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 10:47am
 Can imagine the calls to Joe Duffy already. Bankrupt FAI travelling to a high risk country on a summer holiday junket whilst the ordinary public can’t even travel to get to Dollymount. Surprised there hasn’t been much more publicity/complaints about the planned warm weather training camp seeing they are being bailed out by the government.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 11:29am
Originally posted by Fatnacho Fatnacho wrote:

Can imagine the calls to Joe Duffy already. Bankrupt FAI travelling to a high risk country on a summer holiday junket whilst the ordinary public can’t even travel to get to Dollymount. Surprised there hasn’t been much more publicity/complaints about the planned warm weather training camp seeing they are being bailed out by the government.
Jeasus!
None of our squad are based in Ireland, I'm sure it's no issue if the squad depart and arrive back in to the UK. Can't see them venturing outside Europe myself, the most likely destinations will be the Algarve or Marbella imo.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

None of our squad are based in Ireland
Out of interest, where does Stephen Kenny live?
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 1:04pm
Blackrock in Louth AFAIK.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 2:15pm
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Blackrock in Louth AFAIK.

Thanks.

It'll be a change from his predecessors who afaik were mostly (Kerr excepted? Trap?) based across the water. NI managers too.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:28pm
Few journos now reporting Uefa are looking at switching to England as sole host. Decisions still not to be made until April.

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:33pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

Few journos now reporting Uefa are looking at switching to England as sole host. Decisions still not to be made until April.

I really hope not. It would make for another horrible year over here. The best thing to do is scrap the bloody thing.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 1:45pm
Fans or not, it makes zero sense flying players and staff back forth around Europe. Stick it one country. 

Germany probably would have been a shoe in only for that they're going to be hosting the euros next time out.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 15>
  Share Topic