You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Political Leanings of LOI fans/clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:12pm
There was a fella telling me that Monaghan United rented out their pitch back in the 80s to the IRA for use as a firing range 
Sponsored Links

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 2:50pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

There was a fella telling me that Monaghan United rented out their pitch back in the 80s to the IRA for use as a firing range 
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL Our pitch back in the 80s was Belgium Park. You could walk in there any time of the day or night 7 days a week virtually. It was in full view of the N2 road, and overlooked on 3 sides by housing/traffic. I think that the IRA, if they were into renting firing ranges would have opted for somewhere else than such a site some 500m from a Garda Station to start letting rounds off
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.

Rovers republican??? Is that why your fans marched through Dundalk singing "Free State Bastards"

2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 5:46pm
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.

Rovers republican??? Is that why your fans marched through Dundalk singing "Free State Bastards"

They are definately left leaning alright. 

I was out in Cuba for my holidays a few years back, and i got talking to the barman, and he was saying Fidel Castro is a huge Rovers fan. Says he can't to much games but keeps his eye on livescore and extratime.ie to see how they're getting on.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Jason Kelly Jason Kelly wrote:

They are definately left leaning alright. 

I was out in Cuba for my holidays a few years back, and i got talking to the barman, and he was saying Fidel Castro is a huge Rovers fan. Says he can't to much games but keeps his eye on livescore and extratime.ie to see how they're getting on.

Ffs
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 1:41am
Tbh "Green Man", LOI clubs are not defined by political leanings. Apart from Derry, who operate in a completely different environment, the rivalry between Southern clubs is based more on geographical location than any sectarian divide.

We`d have a few designer republicans among our fanbase who are really Bhoys at heart. And when they start singing a Millwall terrace chant of the 1980`s you quickly know they`re just that - designer republicans - and poles apart from Derry and Cliftonville fans on the republican front. They`ll bleat about post-partition but the vast majority of Rovers fans couldn`t be arsed about early 20th century history.   
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2016 at 4:33pm

Correct
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:46am

EastStandMan View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

I am Shamrock Rovers

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EastStandMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2016 at 6:09pm
Its the understated way in which the lad assassinates his victims gives me a laugh . Like a cold blooded hit man from a mafia movie . Gots to admire the hoor ...............sometimes . 
Shamrock Rovers - lovin the buzz .
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 10:36am
Cork fans singing IRA songs in Windsor

A Truely Republican club 😊
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 11:16am

There was a few Cliftonville lads in but even they weren't signing ira songs. To which song are you referring? My money's on bullsh*t
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

There was a few Cliftonville lads in but even they weren't signing ira songs. To which song are you referring? My money's on bullsh*t

Wind up mate and u bite
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 1:55pm

Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Wind up mate and u bite
Hard to tell with you considering all you post is drivel
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2016 at 3:19pm
Cork City Fans behaved brilliantly at windsor last night if you are refering to the cork city version of the fields of anthenry that appears on twitter "sinn fein" is replaced by "city" and "ira" is replaced by "turners cross" As far as league of ireland clubs go CCFC actually deal with trouble makers.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
1tombo View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1tombo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2018 at 10:55pm
Throwing glass bottles at innocent celtic fans for celebrating a goal is what we need to fix before political opinions. Rovers have a history of being scum.
Irishfootbalfan90 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irishfootbalfan90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2023 at 10:36am
I know it's a very old thread that somebody created but I didn't want to make a new one. 

Lately you can notice loads of political movement arround League of Ireland. The lgbt for example is there a need for it? I never seen anyone being discriminated because of their sexuality as a player or a fan at the gate etc. Everyone has a right to do whatever she/he wants.

Do proper fans I mean ultras are accepting it? Or they don't mind that political movement is getting into football?

Secondly when you go to Bohs or Rovers stadium you see stickers, wall writings etc of "Love football hate racism" or "Love Rovers hate racism"  are these football fans connected with the movement ''antifa"?

I think stadium should be all about football doing this political campaigns when there is no problem whatsovere in our stadiums as Ireland is a very tolerant country doesn't make any sense. It's dissappointing for me because when I go to watch a football match all I want to see is football not the outside the football matters.

Again as I said, Irish people are neither homofobic or neither racist so I don't understand this at all..

Edited by Irishfootbalfan90 - 21 May 2023 at 10:37am
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Irishfootbalfan90 Irishfootbalfan90 wrote:

I know it's a very old thread that somebody created but I didn't want to make a new one. 

Lately you can notice loads of political movement arround League of Ireland. The lgbt for example is there a need for it? I never seen anyone being discriminated because of their sexuality as a player or a fan at the gate etc. Everyone has a right to do whatever she/he wants.

Do proper fans I mean ultras are accepting it? Or they don't mind that political movement is getting into football?

Secondly when you go to Bohs or Rovers stadium you see stickers, wall writings etc of "Love football hate racism" or "Love Rovers hate racism"  are these football fans connected with the movement ''antifa"?

I think stadium should be all about football doing this political campaigns when there is no problem whatsovere in our stadiums as Ireland is a very tolerant country doesn't make any sense. It's dissappointing for me because when I go to watch a football match all I want to see is football not the outside the football matters.

Again as I said, Irish people are neither homofobic or neither racist so I don't understand this at all..

Funny time to say that after the events of last week
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2023 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Originally posted by Irishfootbalfan90 Irishfootbalfan90 wrote:

Funny time to say that after the events of last week
Indeed, racist marches in various locations for months now, and semi regular homophobic attacks. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic