You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Political Leanings of LOI fans/clubs

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Political Leanings of LOI fans/clubs
    Posted: 25 Jun 2016 at 4:44pm
Are politics much of a feature with LOI fanbases? Only I have read varying things on Bohs having a big segment involved with the ANTIFA crowd. Read varying thing on Rovers. Know St Pats have Ultras. Shelbourne dont really know much regarding them, apparently they dont have much fans though

Any thoughts, from what I see its not big feature but just interested
Sponsored Links

roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 10:07am
Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.
UCDFAN View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UCDFAN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 10:11am
If Left wing is individuals organising in groups as wide, Inclusive as resources allow. Empowering through representation and providing accurate, relevant information in a timely matter.
If Right-wing is exclusion based on narrow ideas (e.g. 1. length of time watching a team 2. not distributing info to wider community 3.targeting individuuals who non-decision makers or have few resources). Exclude and target based on Equality grounds incld. Economic class (pricing).

Its possible to politicise by Left/Right spectrum almost any message to and from individual Fans or Supporter Groups.

Because of the natural adversial, competitve environment of Sport it might suit the Right wing mentality best. The Left wing mentality has to convince against the 'battle of the fittest' 'every man for himself' looking for info and access.

There is also a pretence that authentic Right wing attitudes are really Left wing. E.G. sl*gging off Football Followers going to matches in England or sl*gging Football Fans watching a game on the television on a seat in a Public House. These aren't Left wing complaints. But exclusionary, targetting individuals in the Sport and Right wing.

Equality exclusion can come from Left and Right wing views. The narrow compartments of Equality grounds allows for that.

Being anti-authority can be both Right and Left wing, although anti-authority can be presented as only left wing, but it depends on the language and ideas expressed.

I think far more Right wing ideas in Irish Football than some people care to admit. Rejecting empowerment for Football fans, allowing individuals or community of fans to be targeted. These are ideas at the top of YBIG and it should be a problem for those that rest of us.
www.ucdsupporters.ie
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 12:40pm
Ever notice how they only have political banners for things that happen abroad. It's all so they can post on Facebook and show off to people in Europe. You'd never see a banner about water bills.

Cork City has no political banners. They are banned. Some fella brought some right wing thing years ago and it made the club look bad.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Ever notice how they only have political banners for things that happen abroad. It's all so they can post on Facebook and show off to people in Europe. You'd never see a banner about water bills.

Cork City has no political banners. They are banned. Some fella brought some right wing thing years ago and it made the club look bad.

Political banners of any kind should be banned at all LOI grounds.
We need to cut out the possibility of head the balls like this latching on to clubs;
http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Part of the enjoyment of going to football matches is to get away from constant streams of sh*te about fracking or water bills.
The only banners inside football grounds should be football related.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

We need to cut out the possibility of head the balls like this latching on to clubs;
http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Part of the enjoyment of going to football matches is to get away from constant streams of sh*te about fracking or water bills.

Fully agree, politics only divides supporters. There could have been 500 people at that match that were pro life.
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Green Man View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 4:58pm

http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

Fully agree, politics only divides supporters. There could have been 500 people at that match that were pro life.

I totally agree fellas, I really think Politics have no place in football and it really divides people. I've seen some of the antics of that headbanger in Galway, he was on Liveline and pulled stunts in NUIG etc , really damages the rep of Galway and clubs when people like this become spokesmen for the fans. I dont think the LOI has the fanbase to be dividing people like that and giving people more reason not to attend games.

Only ask cos Im looking into team to follow (dont have one locally) and want to be aware of what Im getting into. I dont want to associate with people like that or the ANTIFA crowd (if they are big at Bohs??), if these guys call the shots in fanbases it wouldnt be for me. I dont believe they do for the most part but no harm looking into these things. Would probably be a Dublin side Id be looking at as its easiest to get to for me but just interesting to find out in general if its a big thing, I looked online and there wasnt much info.
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:43pm
The only clubs in Ireland that try bring politics into sport are Derry, Sligo and Bohs. Support Rovers, that will annoy Bohs.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm

The only clubs in Ireland that try bring politics into sport are Derry, Sligo and Bohs. Support Rovers, that will annoy Bohs.

Sligo? Elaborate....
I've been going to games for a few years now and I've never seen anything political from our fans.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:15am

Sligo? Elaborate....
I've been going to games for a few years now and I've never seen anything political from our fans.

Are they still at the AFA stuff? Are they not political? There's a difference between them and anti racism.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 12:18am

Sligo? Elaborate....

Are they still at the AFA stuff? Are they not political? There's a difference between them and anti racism.

https://m.facebook.com/arnireland/posts/558034670885196

This is all I can remember. Don't remember it being a major cause or anything. In fairness it was a very sad Irish case.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 2:06am
Originally posted by Green Man Green Man wrote:

http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments - http://www.thejournal.ie/repeal-the-eighth-flag-2811592-Jun2016/?com_ord=thumbs#comments

I totally agree fellas, I really think Politics have no place in football and it really divides people. I've seen some of the antics of that headbanger in Galway, he was on Liveline and pulled stunts in NUIG etc , really damages the rep of Galway and clubs when people like this become spokesmen for the fans. I dont think the LOI has the fanbase to be dividing people like that and giving people more reason not to attend games.

Only ask cos Im looking into team to follow (dont have one locally) and want to be aware of what Im getting into. I dont want to associate with people like that or the ANTIFA crowd (if they are big at Bohs??), if these guys call the shots in fanbases it wouldnt be for me. I dont believe they do for the most part but no harm looking into these things. Would probably be a Dublin side Id be looking at as its easiest to get to for me but just interesting to find out in general if its a big thing, I looked online and there wasnt much info.

Support your closest. I was in the same boat, obviously being from the North its abit different for some reason every Ireland football fan up here supports Cliftonville.. yet they play in the IFA LOL Dundalk is the nearest for me an hours drive from my hometown. Barely get to a game, but at least I've a LOI club more then can said for a majority of Irish football fans.
RKBarmyArmy View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKBarmyArmy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 9:09am
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Derry, Cork, Pats, Rovers and Galway have always had left leaning fan groups, Derry and Rovers also very Republican. Bohs have rebranded as lefty hipster after 120 conservative and right wing years.

Dont be lobbing Cork in with those crustys, we have no left leaning fan groups. If someone tried to get political left or right in Turners Cross they would be told where to go fairly snappish. 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 10:08am
No LOI club has a massive need to be anything but a local football club. I am a lefty and look for lefty teams, but I leave that at the door at Turners Cross. If you want to follow a team based on political pride I suggest you f**k off to Hamburg or Glasgow, if you want to follow one based on the very essence of the LOI, then I would suggest you get down to your local one and be proud of where you are from.

Edited by pre Madonna - 27 Jun 2016 at 10:15am
Jason Kelly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jason Kelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2016 at 3:10pm
Wasn't there a gang of Nazi's in the Brandywell a few years ago?
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 1:43am
I follow politics keenly "Green Man" but I leave it on the far side of the turnstile when I enter a football ground. I would disagree with my fellow Hoop "RTID" that Shamrock Rovers is a Republican club. It`s not. Unlike Glasgow Celtic, we don`t play on the island of Britain and it`s been 100 years since we`ve lived under the Crown.

There`s an element of Rovers fans who confuse our club for some kind of poor man`s Celtic. But we`re Dubs and identify more with the LOI than a far-off SPL. I can`t speak for Derry fans but I`m sure a lot of them would be Republican, based on the vibe I got from visiting the Brandywell over the years. All I can say is that there`s one Hoops in Ireland and it`s Rovers, not Celtic
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
1980 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1980 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 10:45am
Shamrock Rovers and Bohs are the only two grounds i've seen banners relating to Politics/Current affairs. Unlike Celtic though SRFC don't chase the Green Euro and concentrate on what they are: A Tallaght/Dublin/Irish Club.

(Awaits "Bitter" comment from Horsebox)

Doesn't really seem to turn up anywhere else.
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2016 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

I follow politics keenly "Green Man" but I leave it on the far side of the turnstile when I enter a football ground. I would disagree with my fellow Hoop "RTID" that Shamrock Rovers is a Republican club. It`s not. Unlike Glasgow Celtic, we don`t play on the island of Britain and it`s been 100 years since we`ve lived under the Crown.

There`s an element of Rovers fans who confuse our club for some kind of poor man`s Celtic. But we`re Dubs and identify more with the LOI than a far-off SPL. I can`t speak for Derry fans but I`m sure a lot of them would be Republican, based on the vibe I got from visiting the Brandywell over the years. All I can say is that there`s one Hoops in Ireland and it`s Rovers, not Celtic
with the greatest of respect, you have proven over a period of time that you know hee haw about the ins and outs of Rovers. The above makes absolutely no sense. What have Celtic got to do with it? There are no Republicans down South post partition?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic