You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Drunken Idoits

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 4:51pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by GoneToShowgies GoneToShowgies wrote:

If people want to travel for the craic then I have no problem with that. I have gone to a GAA match and a couple of rallies just for the beer even though I have no interest in them.

The only time it becomes a problem for me is when real football fans can't get tickets for games over the people who mainly go for the crack.

Genuine question, what is a "real football fan?" Its so unascertainable in many respects, and at the highest level, it eliminates anybody who is not a National League, and International Season Ticket Holder. Equally, there are those who don't attend games (for numerous reasons), but are incredibly active at grass roots level, be it with the clubs or in administration. They support football in a different way. But that is a very small number, which can potentially be vaulted by balloting sensibly, or utilising package deals.

Merely suggesting that there should be a proper system to allocate tickets based on previous record as they have with any modern sporting organisation. At the moment there's a lot of ticket's that fall into dubious hands, I saw a few lads with FAI tickets that has been sold to them over the odds by the people they had been awarded too. Reported every person after the game, maybe they'll do nothing but at least I tried.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Sponsored Links

Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:38pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by liam_in_germany liam_in_germany wrote:

Whats the craic with ****s singing the kolo toure song
I know.

Picking up some random Uncle Tom and signing to them.

Surely this is racist ?

I'm not so sure. They certainly seem to be well meaning when they do it, there's no malice behind it or suggestion that they're mocking the man they're doing it with (it's meant to be a song of praise after all)

Would you be offended if you were picked up in Ghana and they sang Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Neville. Philo oh oh Philo oh oh Philo Neville? 

If they were all smiling and happy, I wouldn't interpret it as a hostile or 'racist' gesture at all
Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:38pm
Get drunken idiots everywhere even in town on a Wednesday ..... Some people go to the euros just to get smashed.

Thing I hate is when you see lads who are sloppy falling into a table where locals are having a meal or going up to an elderly couple who are having lunch and trying to get high fives off them when they just want to be left alone.

It's annoying and a tad embarrassing but being drunk sloppy and loud still beats smashing up a pub or coffee shop

Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:43pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

I'm not so sure. They certainly seem to be well meaning when they do it, there's no malice behind it or suggestion that they're mocking the man they're doing it with (it's meant to be a song of praise after all)

Would you be offended if you were picked up in Ghana and they sang Gary, Gary, Gary, Gary Neville. Philo oh oh Philo oh oh Philo Neville? 

If they were all smiling and happy, I wouldn't interpret it as a hostile or 'racist' gesture at all

Young lad of Asian background at a dubs game and the chat jayo jayo jayo (Sherlock) rang out.....not racist just banter. I look Eastern European and wouldn't find it offensive if people in France pretended I was Russian and hid their chairs from me.   

Check it out : https://i1.wp.com/theshake.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/offended.jpg
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 5:54pm
The simply fact is the majority of regular match day goers are there to be seen and not heard outside of the footballing side of things. I.E. not causing trouble or acting the pup.

I had my hotels, match tickets etc all sorted for the Euro's but unfortunately I couldn't go due to a high work load (such is life) yeah sure I'm jealous I couldn't go to France, don't begrudge anyone there whether they're regulars or bandwagoners. 

But don't tell me "we're the best fans in the world" because we're nowhere near it, a couple of blokes picking up rubbish or singing to a woman is all well and good for the camera, but where the hell will these be on a cold night in November when we've a friendly against Latvia or Estonia?

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Ibaraki View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ibaraki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 6:39pm
Irish people are the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers around. Let's not pretend otherwise.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2016 at 7:17pm
Originally posted by Ibaraki Ibaraki wrote:

Irish people are the biggest bunch of bandwagon jumpers around. Let's not pretend otherwise.

Ah yea but we are sound great craic and everyone loves us
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 8:11pm
A special word of praise to the lad in Smile nightclub in Lille in a jersey with 'HOULAHAN' on the backClap
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 9:56pm

I know.

Surely this is racist ?

Embarrassing every single time
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
HuntysCousin View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:14pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

A special word of praise to the lad in Smile nightclub in Lille in a jersey with 'HOULAHAN' on the backClap

What were you doing in a nightclub? Wink
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:23pm
Lads, we've all acted foolishly and done stupid sh*t when we were young . You learn from it . I agree it's a bit annoying but for most of these lads it's their first time at the rodeo ! We are all just getting that but older ! I'd rather them be there than not .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by BabbsBalls BabbsBalls wrote:

Lads, we've all acted foolishly and done stupid sh*t when we were young . You learn from it . I agree it's a bit annoying but for most of these lads it's their first time at the rodeo ! We are all just getting that but older ! I'd rather them be there than not .
fair play BB i think you have it in one .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Blue Man View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blue Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 10:40pm
As long as they don't get tickets over away trip regulars, I don't mind them as long as they stay out trouble. Who knows, maybe they will get the supporting our national team bug and frequent Lansdowne more often. I for one could count on 2 hands the amount of times I'd been in Lansdowne prior to the WC '10 qualifiers and I live in Dublin. Can't really explain why I stayed away for so long but my 1st away game was Paris '09 and swore I'd never miss a home or away game I was around for after it. Emigration has dictated I can't go anymore but it took a massive away game for me to start going regular and hopefully it'll rub off on some in France and we get Lansdowne rocking like it used to
"Everytime Leeds concede a goal, its like being stabbed in the heart" - Billy Bremner

Gary Speed 1969-2011

YBIG Blind Date Champion 2010
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:04pm
Found myself using the phrase "Maybe I'm getting old" a number of times on this trip (I don't see myself as that old !) in relation to the conduct of some people. Definitely thought it was messier than Poland and say a few things that annoyed me : People robbing ice creams from a shop that was selling cans near Moulin Rouge, people happily singing and dancing away after we had just get beaten by Belgium. 

It's mostly all good natured and most enjoyable but some aspects of things do annoy me.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Found myself using the phrase "Maybe I'm getting old" a number of times on this trip (I don't see myself as that old !) in relation to the conduct of some people. Definitely thought it was messier than Poland and say a few things that annoyed me : People robbing ice creams from a shop that was selling cans near Moulin Rouge, people happily singing and dancing away after we had just get beaten by Belgium. 

It's mostly all good natured and most enjoyable but some aspects of things do annoy me.

100% agree that the carry on after Belgium bet us was a joke . Another thing was seeing lads slumped in the streets outside MC Donald's on that afternoon . Anyone who didn't have a ticket for Bordeaux were drinking all day non stop and it wasn't great to see their condition . Very somber mood for me for a few hours after . Each to their own but I think more genuine lads were a bit taken by the score line
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:42pm
With about 5 mins to go I left my seat in the belgium game and watched from the stairs as couldnt put up with the group in front of me jumping and singing as if we've won. Game really put me in a bad mood for a while after. A lack of sleep and a torturous journey home straight after probably added to it in fairness though. 
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
deco911 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:49pm
Be first to admit I have drank way way too much at away game previously but have deffo got older and wiser and appreciate it even more now
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2016 at 11:53pm
I was as gutted as anyone after the Belgium game but I decided I wasn't gonna wallow in self pity. We only lost a game of ball so I downed several pints back in La Rochelle and I'm glad I did.
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic