You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

LOI in Europe 2016

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 98>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Boy Z Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:54am
Legia fans were the best I have ever seen in Lansdowne. Passion, colour, noise for 90 mins.

I am sick with the 2nd goal. Just can't believe how it came about. Legia were only delighted to waste time at 1-0. Absolutely criminal to concede that way. I thought Dundalk shaded the 1st half but Legia pushed up 10 yards in the second and deserved to win by 1. 

Referee let them away with a lot of professional fouls,especially first half. How neither centre half got booked for them is beyond me. O'Donnell (rightly) booked too and misses the 2nd leg to make things even worse.
Theres only one sport that matters..
Sponsored Links

Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:57am
I was in west upper last night (SW corner). All we could hear were the Polish fans - so much so that it was embarrassing. There couldn't have been more than 200 of them in the away section and the noise they created from start to finish was just unbelievable (and a bit robotic at the same time)...Dundalk fans have been great the last couple of times I've seen them (Tallaght and cup final) but we could hardly hear them all night. There didn't seem to be as much going on in the singing section but maybe the sound just didn't travel. In the cup final last year the Dundalk fans destroyed Cork for noise but they were in the north and Cork in the south... We need to stick away fans in the NE corner of East upper for internationals and take back the north terrace - the sound seems to just carry form the north along the roof all the way around.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Garak View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Garak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:58am
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by EastStandMan EastStandMan wrote:

Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

The rent a mob from dudnalk may as well jog on home for all the good they are . Must be circa 15 k there to support em and ya cant even hear em. Legia fans making noise all game . 

Absolute nonsense, couldn't hear Legia where we were at all and Dundalk fans in the south never stopped whole game.

If you were there fair play to ya . Ask anyone who watched on the box , could not hear em all game long . Just saying , gave a bad impression on tv . As far as play was concerned I thought there was not too much in it tho dudnalk showed an immaturity you would half expect to be fair . Uefa Cup for them now and a lot of fixtures/ travelling for them. Can they hack it ??. Fai Cup / League / Europe , can they hack it ????.  

As we have known for a long time the acoustics are way better in the North Stand. Noise doesn't seem to travel at all from the SS. I was on the halfway line and could only hear them once or twice, polish fans are brilliant to be fair though.

On the game Dundalk can count themselves pretty unlucky. Good news is City look guaranteed to be in the UEFA Youth League now Smile

Oh and McEleny is an absolute gem, wonder how close he came to signing for City...
It's mad how a rabble of fans in one corner of the stadium manage to sound like an intimidating army with the acoustics even though SS was giving it loads.

An added bonus that they can erect all their banners/colours behind them too, always looks impressive. 

Proper Celtic Tiger botch job if you ask me!

Thought Dundalk played well and were fairly tidy on the ball, just got no luck whatsoever and lacked a bit in pace.
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Xpro Xpro wrote:

"Tony Cousins" - easy knowing you weren`t at home league games after Rubin Kazan had come visiting for a glamorous Europa group game. Had you been, you might have noticed the sparse gates for the visit of Drogheda or UCD. But then again, maybe you were biding your time for the visit of Tottenham...    

Point missed as usual with you.

We had gates over 5,000 many times between 2009 and 2011 in the league. The Europa games didn't bring too many more than that.  Tallaght wasn't full for any of the Europa Group games, and that includes games were Tottenham and PAOK brought substantial support.

Also, we didn't play UCD after Kazan in Tallaght and the Drogheda game was a 2pm kick off on a Sunday, not usually a day and kick off time associated with great crowds.

Daragho View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daragho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 10:25am
The usual crap being spouted about 'your fans are sh!t' etc., 'didn't hear a peep out of you all night' etc.

I was in Block 107, lower East and I could clearly hear singing from both sets of fans throughout the game. There were about 1000 Polish hardcore gathered in the North Stand (great security checks by the way, there must have been 20 flares lit as the teams came out!) and plenty more scattered throughout the ground. It may have sounded different on TV but the atmosphere inside was really good.

Dundalk matched Legia for most of the match, but the Polish grew into the game and you felt they were more threatening going forward. Their number 7 on the right got a lot of joy in the second half.
Even at 0-1 it was a big task for Dundalk, but at 0-2 it's over. 

Still, I'm hoping to go along to one or two of the Europa League group games at Lansdowne.

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:29am

The rent a mob from dudnalk may as well jog on home for all the good they are . Must be circa 15 k there to support em and ya cant even hear em. Legia fans making noise all game . 

Absolute nonsense, couldn't hear Legia where we were at all and Dundalk fans in the south never stopped whole game.

If you were there fair play to ya . Ask anyone who watched on the box , could not hear em all game long . Just saying , gave a bad impression on tv . As far as play was concerned I thought there was not too much in it tho dudnalk showed an immaturity you would half expect to be fair . Uefa Cup for them now and a lot of fixtures/ travelling for them. Can they hack it ??. Fai Cup / League / Europe , can they hack it ????.  

I genuinely think that's as much to do with how the mics are set up as much as anything else. I've gone to premium in the West stand for the last couple of FAI Cup finals and can hear the South lower perfectly from there.

I agree with you re the game, there wasn't much in it at all, it certainly wasn't a 2-0 game.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:30am
Seriously harsh result. Thought the ref probably got both penalty decisions wrong - both much to the cost of Dundalk. To be fair when the incident first happened I thought it was a peno, but on the replay you can see it was seriously harsh. No idea how the foul on McMillan wasn't a penalty - the defender didn't look at the ball once and backed straight into him. Thought it was a straightforward enough decision but ref thought otherwise.

The late second goal was criminal and has probably put the tie beyond Dundalk now. Such a shame as Legia are really not up to much. I fear it will be a long, long time before a LOI side get as good a chance as this to qualify for the CL proper.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:38am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Seriously harsh result. Thought the ref probably got both penalty decisions wrong - both much to the cost of Dundalk. To be fair when the incident first happened I thought it was a peno, but on the replay you can see it was seriously harsh. No idea how the foul on McMillan wasn't a penalty - the defender didn't look at the ball once and backed straight into him. Thought it was a straightforward enough decision but ref thought otherwise.

The late second goal was criminal and has probably put the tie beyond Dundalk now. Such a shame as Legia are really not up to much. I fear it will be a long, long time before a LOI side get as good a chance as this to qualify for the CL proper.

I don't think it'll be as long as the gap between Shels in 2003 and now. The Champions route has made it a lot easier considering there's no chance of drawing the likes of the 3rd or 4th place teams from the top leagues. It's the one thing Platini can be proud of.
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:42am

I don't think it'll be as long as the gap between Shels in 2003 and now. The Champions route has made it a lot easier considering there's no chance of drawing the likes of the 3rd or 4th place teams from the top leagues. It's the one thing Platini can be proud of.

I actually think that Platini was fantastic for championing the causes of the smaller clubs and leagues (not to mention champions, see new seeding system for CL) while spreading the wealth. 

The foul on Kilduff (think he had just come on for McMillan?) was a penalty all day.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 11:46am
Legia Clap
bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:23pm
By the way huge credit to whoever produced that match programme last night. Its the best programme I've ever bought at a game. Huge amount of content on both clubs. Minimal advertising and superb value for money. Still have loads of it to go through.

Clap

Get those responsible for this to do the International programmes which are rubbish.

Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:30pm
Can anyone please tell the FAI to move the SS to the North stand for Ireland games? Pointless throwing away a major advantage in key matches just because the architect never took acoustics into account Confused 
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by bananarepublic bananarepublic wrote:

By the way huge credit to whoever produced that match programme last night. Its the best programme I've ever bought at a game. Huge amount of content on both clubs. Minimal advertising and superb value for money. Still have loads of it to go through.

Clap

Get those responsible for this to do the International programmes which are rubbish.

didnt see one for sale
ybigeejit View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ybigeejit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

Clap

didnt see one for sale

same here. we were in the east upper and didn't see any for sale on the way in
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 12:47pm

We've seen penalty decisions like that waved away hundreds of times so it was definitely harsh. I'd agree with Stephen Kenny too that it may have altered the balance  of the entire game.

As for Legia, I'd say they'd be the worst team in the entire CL if they get through. They didn't look up to much at all, maybe at the level of a relegation zone English Premiership team or even a Championship side.

Edited by Strazdas - 18 Aug 2016 at 12:50pm
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:01pm

Clap

produced by club volunteers, won many awards for them

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:35pm

Clap

The Dundalk programme has always been excellent to be fair. Which is odd considering their fans on here are semi literate at best.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2016 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Clap

The Dundalk programme has always been excellent to be fair. Which is odd considering their fans on here are semi literate at best.

maybe they buy them for the pictures......Angry
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5960616263 98>
  Share Topic