FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedU-21 Championship 2011

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Direct Link To This Post Topic: U-21 Championship 2011
    Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 3:31am
Lads, the draw for the qualifying matches for U-21 Championship 2011 will be held tomorrow. Who should we be hoping our young fellas are drawn against? I'm really looking forward to this starting up as we have a couple of really exciting talents at this level at present. Cant say Givens deserves to still be in his job though...

QUALIFICATION POTS

A: Spain, England, Italy, Germany, Serbia, France, Austria, Turkey, Israel, Russia

B: Belarus, Czech Republic, Portugal, Sweden, Finland, Wales, Switzerland, Ukraine, Romania, Croatia

C: Netherlands, Belgium, Scotland, Hungary, Greece, Norway, Moldova, Armenia, Bulgaria, Northern Ireland

D: Poland, Latvia, Slovakia, Albania, FYR Macedonia, Iceland, Slovenia, Republic of Ireland, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Montenegro

E: Cyprus, Georgia, Lithuania, Kazakhstan, Andorra, Faroe Islands, Estonia, Malta, San Marino, Azerbaijan, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg

"you can keep your Costa Brava, im telling ya mate id rather have a day down Margate with all me family"
Sponsored Links

Chopper View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 3:58am
Spain
Portugal
Netherlands
Ireland
Kazakhstan

If Ireland as you say really do have some exciting talent at this level, i would love to see them play the best teams in Europe. Just so we can see where they really stand.

Spain and Portugal have always done well at youth level. And Netherlands is the defending champion. 
RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 4:02am
a good hard group needed , not too worried about our making tournaments at this level as long as the lads are tested against the best in the qualifiers
, agree with your group chopper
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
Honey Monster View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 5:55am
This draw will be tough either way considering our seeds.

We have very decent players at this level. How Givens is still in the job is a mystery. Stevie Heighway would be perfect at that level.

Tough game for them next tuesday against Germany in a friendly in Turners Cross. Was planning on going but cant see me getting anymoe time off work anytime soon!

The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 6:00am
would be quality if they were the same groups as the senior team are picked in and then the games were on before the senior international (KO a few hours before or the night before)
gouldinho View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 6:42am
Givens better get sacked if we dont qualify.
Tash Kent View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2009 at 8:10am

How the fcuk are Austria in pot A, Givens has made a bollox of it but anybody who does well will go straight into the senior squad and the U21 team from our point of view is just about development and not qualification a lot of the time, will be very happy to have 4 or 5 lads from the current U21 squad make the senior team and be staying in that over the coming years.

Philip Greene RTE Radio Legend
10 Seconds Gone Here In Limerick And No Score.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 12:55pm

The Republic of Ireland were drawn in Group Two of the qualifying tournament of the UEFA U21 Championship of 2011 when the draw was made at 2pm Irish time in Aarhus, Denmark.

Ireland were in the fourth category for the draw and were drawn against top seeds Turkey, Switzerland, Armenia, Georgia and Estonia.

Don Givens, manager of Ireland's U21 squad is in Denmark for the draw and is currently involved in negotiations with the others in Group Two with a view to setting up the fixtures arrangements.

Ireland will prepare for the qualifying tournament by playing friendly matches against Germany and Spain in the next couple of months.

They will play Germany at Turner's Cross, Cork, on Tuesday, February 10, at 7.30 pm. They will play Spain in the RSC Waterford on Friday, March 27, at 7.30 pm.

Germany and Spain are two of the eight teams who will contest the final tournament of the UEFA U21 Championship of 2009 in Sweden next June. They will provide a young Irish squad with a demanding challenge as they finalise their team selections for the finals.

Manager Givens is also hoping to reach agreement while in Denmark on possible opponents for a third friendly match in August in preparation for the qualifying tournament. It is highly likely that Portugal will provide the opposition for Ireland.

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:09pm
Used to follow the U21's all the time when I was in Ireland as it gave us an idea of who was up-and-coming. I followed all the underage levels but since moving to Canada I have lost track of them all. The U21's used to be made up of the same group as the seniors but now it look like its all over the place. Still I am looking forward to seeing how we do.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Donal Cullen Donal Cullen wrote:

Used to follow the U21's all the time when I was in Ireland as it gave us an idea of who was up-and-coming. I followed all the underage levels but since moving to Canada I have lost track of them all. The U21's used to be made up of the same group as the seniors but now it look like its all over the place. Still I am looking forward to seeing how we do.

I hope I'm wrong but I'd say the same as we've always done under Givens. Sh*te.

Edited by Jim26 - 04 Feb 2009 at 1:18pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Donal Cullen View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:19pm
Jim the U21's have always been a big let down considering the talent we have had. Reckon its time for Don Givens to step down and let Keano or Kinnear try the job.
There are friendlier places to drink.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 1:30pm
The draw could have been a lot worse. But I just cant see us qualitifying for any tournament with Givens in charge, not that taht is the most important thing but I feel he doesnt get the best out of the talent we have most of the time which is the worrying thing.

is the Germany game on telly next week does anyone know? If not, will it be on the net??

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2009 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Honey Monster Honey Monster wrote:

The draw could have been a lot worse. But I just cant see us qualitifying for any tournament with Givens in charge, not that taht is the most important thing but I feel he doesnt get the best out of the talent we have most of the time which is the worrying thing.is the Germany game on telly next week does anyone know? If not, will it be on the net??
It's on Sky Sports AFAIK
Chopper View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2009 at 4:51am
Turkey has been performing extremly well at underage levels the past few years. Verry strong side.  The Swiss are also verry good.  Hope Ireland do qualify. Rest of the poule are outsiders. Hopefully Ireland can steal a few points from Turkey and Switzerland,  and win the rest of the games  Cool
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 5:47am

is the Germany game on telly next week does anyone know? If not, will it be on the net??

Confirmed, it's on Sky Sports 3 from 7:30: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html
The Count View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 5:50am
good man tetsujinClap
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Semi-Pro

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2009 at 8:05am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Confirmed, it's on Sky Sports 3 from 7:30: http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,12942,00.html

Yeah so I believe, fantastic

RogerMilla View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
#TEAMJAVIER #ENGANCHE

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2009 at 3:47am
also on german telly lads , hope we can give them a good game...
The first time the Devil made me do it. The second time I did it on my own.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
  Share Topic