You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What religion are you? - Census Form

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

The fact as well that you are even questioning the existence of Jesus would logically rule you out of Christianity in general, not just Catholicism. The central and most fundamental part of Christian faith is that Jesus was the son of god and died on the cross for our sins. If you question whether he even existed then you are questioning the very essence of Christianity. If that is the case, how can you keep a straight face while ticking the Catholic box?

That is class

The real interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tl8acXl3qVs
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:15pm
The Walls
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 1:17pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

but i am a catholic. nobody literally believes or follows everything anyway. so are there almost none? technically i'd probably be described as a breakaway section of RC like the other breakaways of cristianity.

i follow the parts of it like being good to others, generous, honest etc and anything that's general good for people. I ignores stuff about sex, marriage etc and i'm divided on abortian. one one hand the woman should decide but on the other she's killing a life. if my mother chose that i wouldn't be here. 

then on the whole jesus and stuff like that. i'm pretty sure an actual jesus existed but i doubt he had magical powers. i beleive in the big bang, but who created the big bang? i dunno but f**k it if i die and my religion wasn't true it's no sweat. i don't stress over it, i do't go to church and as i said i just take the good things from it and apply it to everyday life. 
Totally agree with that Eireland. That's the category I'd put myself in too.

I don't get this "you have to follow every little thing" to be a Catholic. It's basically "be a nice person". That's what I subscribe to Clap
Every little thing?

In this thread so far we have had fellas saying they are Catholic but don't believe :

-That the Bible is anything other than a load of myths
-That Jesus had magic powers

That's pretty frickin' essential stuff
I'm not saying Jesus had magic powers, or ever existed, but things like "treat others like you'd like to be treated" and "don't ride your mates wife" are pretty good guidelines to live your life

And you need a church you'd don't believe in to tell you your moral values. 

I'll put it to you another way. There are two glass boxs. One has Catholic on it the other doesn't. 

If you step in or out of either box - does the urge to kill, ride your brothers wife, rape or any other crazy sh*t change in you? The answer is No. 

Please never go in the box marked Catholic and walk away with free from those delusions

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

but i am a catholic. nobody literally believes or follows everything anyway. so are there almost none? technically i'd probably be described as a breakaway section of RC like the other breakaways of cristianity.

i follow the parts of it like being good to others, generous, honest etc and anything that's general good for people. I ignores stuff about sex, marriage etc and i'm divided on abortian. one one hand the woman should decide but on the other she's killing a life. if my mother chose that i wouldn't be here. 

then on the whole jesus and stuff like that. i'm pretty sure an actual jesus existed but i doubt he had magical powers. i beleive in the big bang, but who created the big bang? i dunno but f**k it if i die and my religion wasn't true it's no sweat. i don't stress over it, i do't go to church and as i said i just take the good things from it and apply it to everyday life. 

I don't get this "you have to follow every little thing" to be a Catholic. It's basically "be a nice person". That's what I subscribe to Clap
Every little thing?

In this thread so far we have had fellas saying they are Catholic but don't believe :

I'm not saying Jesus had magic powers, or ever existed, but things like "treat others like you'd like to be treated" and "don't ride your mates wife" are pretty good guidelines to live your life

I'll put it to you another way. There are two glass boxs. One has Catholic on it the other doesn't. 

If you step in or out of either box - does the urge to kill, ride your brothers wife, rape or any other crazy sh*t change in you? The answer is No. 

Please never go in the box marked Catholic and walk away with free from those delusions
Why does it have to be one box or the other? Can't I describe myself as Catholic without being all-in? I'd say I'm a bit of a Real Madrid fan too, definitely not as much as being and Ireland fan, and definitely not as much as a lot of Real Madrid fans, but if there was a census of who I support in La Liga I'd check that box. Why does it anger so many of ye that I describe myself as Catholic?
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:27pm
Should the question not be:  What fairy story do you believe in?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Should the question not be:  What fairy story do you believe in?

I put down Leicester City
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:29pm

The fact you are comparing your religious beliefs to being a fan of a football club is the problem.

You can describe yourself as what you like. The problem is both the way the question is posed and the fact that people who aren't catholic are ticking the box and when that happens at a macro level we have a skewing of the figures with large social consequences.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
I can only speak for myself but im not angry at all. Just baffled. As I say, you don't need Catholicism to treat others well and be a good person and you ignore the parts you don't like and don't agree so with that established how is the Catholic Church of any relevance to you?

I would also take issue with your Real Madrid analogy. Christianity is about implementing the revealed word of god and concerns itself with saving our immortal souls from an eternity of torment I would suggest that that is far more significant than what football team you sort of like. You and lots of others like you all around the country clearly don't take Catholicism or it's obligations seriously yet bizarrely still describe yourselves as Catholic. If I actually believed in any of it I would find you comparing your faith with a football team you sort of like offensive.

Edited by the_walls - 26 Apr 2016 at 2:34pm
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 2:50pm
I don't understand how someone can nit pick the best parts of Catholicism like don't commit adultery/don't murder and ignore the contempt that catholicism has for women and gays.

If you read up on Islam there are a lot of good stuff in it too. Namely the fact everyone is accountable for their actions. That contrasts with Christianity "do what ever you want and as long as you repent before you die you're golden".

I'm not going to become a Muslim in the same way I'm not going back to catholicism or any of the other cracking pot sky fairy religions!
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:04pm
I think this leads into a broader discussion about people who by any criteria are not religious, but don't have the confidence or intelligence to break from the brand of religion they were brought up in. Easier to tell yourself you are a catholic than read up on atheism or agnosticism.
the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:12pm
Id agree RTID. To be fair most of us have it drilled into us in school since we were 4 or 5 years old. It's hard to formally abandon something that has been with you since childhood. I remember in primary school having to learn off loads of cathecisms because we were getting a visit from the bishop and a visit from the bishop was a really big deal. Most people I would wager don't actually really believe in any of it but making that formal break is still a step too far.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:22pm

The problem is how do you ask that in a Census setting?

Are you

- proper religious
- a bit religious
- like to say I am religious but think telepathically talking to a sky fairy so a bit of my body I can't see goes to space after I die is a sign of mental illness.
- a Catholic when Celtic play Rangers.

Edited by roverstillidie - 26 Apr 2016 at 3:23pm
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:25pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

Every little thing?

Why does it have to be one box or the other? Can't I describe myself as Catholic without being all-in? I'd say I'm a bit of a Real Madrid fan too, definitely not as much as being and Ireland fan, and definitely not as much as a lot of Real Madrid fans, but if there was a census of who I support in La Liga I'd check that box. Why does it anger so many of ye that I describe myself as Catholic?

Because you have quite clearly shown you are a catholic because you were baptised, and don't believe in any of the fundamental tenets of it's teachings. The only parts you agree to are the ones that are morals, you could be a Jedibudest and the same morals would apply. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:28pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

The problem is how do you ask that in a Census setting?

Are you

- proper religious
- a bit religious
- like to say I am religious but think telepathically talking to a sky fairy so a bit of my body I can't see goes to space after I die is a sign of mental illness.
- a Catholic when Celtic play Rangers.

LOL 
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:42pm
LOL
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 3:53pm

I think this leads into a broader discussion about people who by any criteria are not religious, but don't have the confidence or intelligence to break from the brand of religion they were brought up in. Easier to tell yourself you are a catholic than read up on atheism or agnosticism.

Clap
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 4:09pm
Do you believe that the bread and wine of communion are the actual body and blood of Christ?
Yes / No*

*If you say no then you aren't really a Catholic.

Do you believe in Jesus Christ - who rose from the dead and took on all of the worlds sin. Who turned two loafs and fishes into enough food for thousands. Who turned water into wine. Who walked on water. Etc etc.
Yes / No*

* If you say no then you are not even a Christian (never mind a Catholic).

NB. Being a good person and supporting Celtic do not necessarily make you Catholic.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2016 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Christianity is about implementing the revealed word of god and concerns itself with saving our immortal souls from an eternity of torment.
I'm not sure I agree with that, certainly don't take it that seriously or care enough to counter-argue.

Religion is what you make it, if people aren't religious, so be it, I'm not trying to convert people. Whatever I believe it is (which some of you seem to think isn't Catholosim), works for me.

I definitely think that's an issue for some people.

Edited by Shedite - 26 Apr 2016 at 4:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic