You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

That happened me with my house insurance. Once you put in a claim, you can't move to a competitor for 5 years, in the meantime your premium goes through the roof.

Not true at all HB. Depending on the size of the claim you might have trouble getting other quotes but if you have whats classed as a small one it shouldn't be any bother

It was 2 small ones and they also told me it would not affect my policy. They lied and I got stung.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 4:58pm
All have their own criteria but normally anything under 5k as a once off is grand. 2 or more can be different alright
Some people just deserve a slap
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 6:36pm
The 2 combined were less that 1k.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 9:42pm
Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Not if you have had a claim against you, lad at work had his car stolen 2 years ago, naturally insurance went up so when he rang around other companies basically wouldn't insure him because of the claim, hes pretty much tied to his existing company for a number of years 

I've a better one than that - some years ago, my car was stolen, luckily enough, recovered by the Gardai 3 days later with no damage, so that was that, or so I thought. Naturally enough, being car-less and the victim of a crime, I alerted my insurance company straight away and commenced an insurance case. 

They sent an assessor the day after to do a report, no messing about, and that was as far as the whole thing got, because it was recovered & returned to me 2 days after that.  As the car had no damage (it was inspected by their assessor and I had the choice of getting my own assessment FOC if I disagreed with their fella, I didn't disagree, so that was the end of that) , I rang them and cancelled the claim. 

And thought that was the end of it, until some months later, my renewal was due. My insurance had gone up because I had commenced a claim (which, by my insurance policy, was the correct procedure in the eventuality of having a car stolen, keeping the company updated at all times etc) , and my no claims bonus had disappeared as well. Bear in mind, I had not claimed or received a single cent from them at any point. 

There was also the issue of them putting in on the Cartell website (which I have access to in work) as a stolen vehicle, which was fine, but it was still there a few weeks later, no idea what possessed me to check my own car, but for whatever reason, I did, and seeing it listed as stolen weeks after it was returned, I contacted them to remove it. 

They refused to acknowledge they put it there in the first place when I challenged them (they blamed the Gardai, a quick phone call to them confirmed it wasn't them; when I brought this to their attention some weeks later, they still wouldn't tell me who put it there) , eventually it disappeared after about another month of phoning every so often to ask them why they hadn't removed it. 

You would think this is fairly simple stuff, but until I pointed out to them that I had not claimed anything, they were quite prepared to double my premium over it. At this point, and the Cartell thing was really annoying me (If I had decided to trade the car in at the time, not a single motor dealer in the country would take it with it being red flagged as stolen) , and their appalling customer service, I had lost all confidence in them & decided to move companies no matter what the cost. 

Which was grand, until they illegally withheld my full no claims bonus, despite multiple requests, and they kept sending me one that had the words 'claim outstanding' at the bottom, which naturally enough, any prospective insurer would want to know about. After the threat of legal action, they eventually conceded that I had no outstanding claim, nor any intention of proceeding with one (this was some 4 months after my car was returned & I has signed off on a form saying I was satisfied with the condition of the car on inspection) , they eventually sent me the documents I required the very day before my insurance expired. 

And for all that, I was probably lucky, while all this was going on, I had found an alternative insurer and some fella in their office I was dealing with was sympathetic to the crap I was putting up with (he even gave me a few tips on wording ''requests'' to the old company, only for the chap, I would have likley been stuck with the existing fcukers like some of ye mentioned. 

Have mentioned before the 3 main things are Quinns going bust (private gambling debt, paid for by the taxpayer in the form of an insurance levy), insurance fraud, which is massive in this country, and the learned lads on the benches of the courts awarding lottery type figures, or figures appropriate to their own standard of living, for reasonably mild run of the mill injuries. Having said all that, the behaviour of the insurance companies themselves, or at least some of them (the above case, won't mention any names, but if ya can count as far as three, you might think of it) is appalling, and certainly wouldn't make you think they are anything much better than the cowboys arranging the fake car crashes for fraud purposes. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 10:52pm

Through someone close to me I was informed of a scam. It was something like this ->

4 people in on the scam get in unsuspecting taxi and ask to go somewhere.
Eastern European also in on the scam in a jammer crashes into the back of the taxi.
4 people get taking off to hospital with 'injuries'.
4 people claim for injuries.
Eastern European fella is left the country at this stage (maybe already received a few quid, can't remember this piece) 
Dodgy lawyer representing the car full of people.
4 people gets awarded ~15k each
Fee paid to dodgy lawyer
Lawyer pays Polish lad (if he didn't already do it earlier).

Might be wrong on some points like the awared amounts but it was something like that.
Can see why the insurance companies are getting hammered and passing it on to us!

Edited by t_rAndy - 21 Dec 2016 at 10:52pm
heighway2heaven View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote heighway2heaven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Shoco Shoco wrote:

Not if you have had a claim against you, lad at work had his car stolen 2 years ago, naturally insurance went up so when he rang around other companies basically wouldn't insure him because of the claim, hes pretty much tied to his existing company for a number of years 

I've a better one than that .....

I'm actually angry as f**k having read that. And I'm sure there's even worse stories again that people on here will have.

http://giant.gfycat.com/LimpLittleArabianoryx.gif
cm79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady
Cawhil cattle caaaaal

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cm79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2016 at 12:07pm
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 10:29pm
question.
Currently doing a course for work, now my employer said they will cover my travel expenses as its a 90km round journey daily for 25 days but they want a letter from my insurance company saying I am covered to use the car for work purposes. Think this is a bit of a red herring from my employer as i may be hit with a hike in my insurance premium if i request a letter and my employer is using this so I wont claim my expenses.
Any suggestions?
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2017 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

question.
Currently doing a course for work, now my employer said they will cover my travel expenses as its a 90km round journey daily for 25 days but they want a letter from my insurance company saying I am covered to use the car for work purposes. Think this is a bit of a red herring from my employer as i may be hit with a hike in my insurance premium if i request a letter and my employer is using this so I wont claim my expenses.
Any suggestions?

Have you got business use in your insurance policy? If you do no problem. To add it, it costs about 30 pounds up in the black north so might not be too bad. Ring them up and check how much it will be to add it if you don't have it on your policy
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:19am

question.
Any suggestions?

Can they not just pay you a rate for millage and subsistence ?

Looks like they might be trying to avoid paying you expenses.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:20am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

question.
Any suggestions?

Can they not just pay you a rate for millage and subsistence ?

Looks like they might be trying to avoid paying you expenses.
exactly, driving to a course is nor work use. Chancing his arm
John W View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John W Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 12:53am
Put in the expense of the insurance on your first claim to your employers
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 5:53am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

This.
Don't even bother ringing the insurance company.
Go back to your boss and tell him the insurance company told you driving to a course as part of work does not constitute work use of a vehicle and therefore your policy covers you.
Absolutely chancing his arm.

Edited by Bitored - 19 Jan 2017 at 5:53am
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:28am
If you want ring your insurance company they'll put Class 2C on you policy which is use for Social, Domestic, Pleasure (all the norm) & Business use. It's usually a 25% extra charge. Your normal policy wont cover you for work use bar to & from but a course is basically to & from so should be ok. The Class 2C cover is only usually requested when you're driving during the day for work, going to meetings etc

Edited by Croftman - 19 Jan 2017 at 9:29am
Some people just deserve a slap
bogball88 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bogball88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

This.
Don't even bother ringing the insurance company.
Go back to your boss and tell him the insurance company told you driving to a course as part of work does not constitute work use of a vehicle and therefore your policy covers you.
Absolutely chancing his arm.

I know up here working for a council and using my car for work purposes daily, I am classed as an essential car user and I am required to have for business use on my policy in order to claim mileage. Non essential users who want to claim mileage for purposes such as training courses still have to have the for business use on their policy as well

Edited by bogball88 - 19 Jan 2017 at 9:31am
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:32am
Upgraded my Focus 00 to an 05 there 2 weeks ago and asked the insurance company to change over the policy. Considering the new car is 5 years younger I thought my policy would reflect this, no change whatsoever. Shower of robbing bastards
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:47am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Upgraded my Focus 00 to an 05 there 2 weeks ago and asked the insurance company to change over the policy. Considering the new car is 5 years younger I thought my policy would reflect this, no change whatsoever. Shower of robbing bastards
Your new car is worth more than your old one. So if you crash the new one into a wall you're now expecting a bigger payout. Why would your premium reduce?
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2017 at 10:56am
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

Going from an old banger to a slightly less old banger is not going to make your premium reduce.
If you'd bought a new car your premium would come down, because statistically, brand new cars have less collisions.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 23>
  Share Topic