You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Reg Hunter

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deco911 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2021 at 1:28pm
got the quote there 535 a bit down from last year. Quick search on google and next best I can find is 650 another quote was 1500😂
Could he first year I stick with same company 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
Anyone ever cancelled a car Insurance policy to simply change their renewal date? My renewal is January as you may have noticed from previous posts, and it falls within a 2 month period where House Insurances and property taxes as well as Xmas all fall. Been thinking of cancelling and starting a new policy around maybe March/April to relieve the pressure around xmas/new year.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

Anyone ever cancelled a car Insurance policy to simply change their renewal date? My renewal is January as you may have noticed from previous posts, and it falls within a 2 month period where House Insurances and property taxes as well as Xmas all fall. Been thinking of cancelling and starting a new policy around maybe March/April to relieve the pressure around xmas/new year.

That is a very interesting question. Never cancelled a policy myself but had to change insurance companies on the advice of my broker as previous insurance company went bust. Meant renewal date is now two months earlier than it was originally. In summer so not a bad time. 

I would think it is very easy to cancel but I would imagine that cancelling in March after renewing in January would cost you quite a bit (the refund wouldn't be reflective of the remaining 10 months). If it was me I would cancel in November as you are through most of the year and therefore probably taking less of a loss. You would have a renewal date in November and while not being the best time of year would avoid the expensive January you have at the moment. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 12:31am

Set up a budget account in a credit union.  

Flatten the curve on all your bills for the year so you never have to pay in bulk for any bill and basically you pay the same amount into the budget account every time you are paid and then the bills come out in full as they arise.  That way it doesn’t matter when the bills come and you can even factor in things like Christmas or kids going back to school etc. 

Edited by Baldrick - 31 Jan 2021 at 12:32am
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 5:58am
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Flatten the curve on all your bills for the year so you never have to pay in bulk for any bill and basically you pay the same amount into the budget account every time you are paid and then the bills come out in full as they arise.  That way it doesn’t matter when the bills come and you can even factor in things like Christmas or kids going back to school etc. 
Already have an account for that incl away trips and holidays.Just an awful lot happening pretty much at once so want lighten the load at that particular time of year.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 8:12am

Already have an account for that incl away trips and holidays.Just an awful lot happening pretty much at once so want lighten the load at that particular time of year.

I dont get you sham if its the same as mine the load is the same every single month.  Even if 60% of Bill's came out in January it would still spread them all across the 12 months. And if your total cost of bills  in  year was 6000 it would be 500 every month regardless of what month the bill is due.
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 8:47am

I dont get you sham if its the same as mine the load is the same every single month.  Even if 60% of Bill's came out in January it would still spread them all across the 12 months. And if your total cost of bills  in  year was 6000 it would be 500 every month regardless of what month the bill is due.
i pay everything like that off in full. I save x amount a month. Id just personally prefer to not have it all happen at once. 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:08am

i pay everything like that off in full. I save x amount a month. Id just personally prefer to not have it all happen at once. 

Sham mine are paid in full too at the time but it's the budget account that pays it and then my spread is over the year.  

So for example say in Jan you have 4 Bill's worth 300 a month totalling 1200 for january.   If your total bills  for the year estimated to be the 6000.  500 a month goes into the budget account every month.  But in january the budget account pays the bills directly of 1200 but you still only pay 500 that month.  That way its irrelevant when the bills  fall.  They could all be the one month and it wouldnt matter. 
AKA pedantic kunt
Slow & Blind View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 9:44am

Phone your insurance company and advise that you are taking the car off the road, then in March get a new insurance policy. You may have to get a letter from the guards to confirm it was off the road for the period you had no insurance. Your no claims bonus is fine for up to 12 months without insurance but you would lose it if you aren't the main policy holder on a car in that year. 
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:03am

Sham mine are paid in full too at the time but it's the budget account that pays it and then my spread is over the year.  

So for example say in Jan you have 4 Bill's worth 300 a month totalling 1200 for january.   If your total bills  for the year estimated to be the 6000.  500 a month goes into the budget account every month.  But in january the budget account pays the bills directly of 1200 but you still only pay 500 that month.  That way its irrelevant when the bills  fall.  They could all be the one month and it wouldnt matter. 
Jaysus Baldrick, I get it like, I just personally want to see if its feasible for me to move it to a time that suits me better regardless of how much I save every month.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:04am
Originally posted by Slow & Blind Slow & Blind wrote:

Phone your insurance company and advise that you are taking the car off the road, then in March get a new insurance policy. You may have to get a letter from the guards to confirm it was off the road for the period you had no insurance. Your no claims bonus is fine for up to 12 months without insurance but you would lose it if you aren't the main policy holder on a car in that year. 
Car wont be off the road though Its merely just to shuffle payments around.
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:24am

No insurance company I know of offers something like that as it would be finance/credit and that would be a different financial license that you can't offer with insurance. Even if you went for the monthly insurance payments they have to be paid at the start of the month.
One option could be a 3 month interest free credit card on purchases and pay it off quickly. How much is your insurance? 
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
its  not saving sham.  It's a budget account all the bills come direct debit from the budget account.  It's not a saving account where you change how you much you save.  Its basically just all your bills in the year divided by the amount of salary payments you receive in a year plus 1% surplus cover.  

It basically makes it irrelevant when the bills arrive.  It would totally remove the need for you to move your car insurance renewal date or any other renewal date and they could all be end of year and it would not impact your cash flow one bit. 

Edited by Baldrick - 31 Jan 2021 at 10:26am
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:29am

No insurance company I know of offers something like that as it would be finance/credit and that would be a different financial license that you can't offer with insurance. Even if you went for the monthly insurance payments they have to be paid at the start of the month.
One option could be a 3 month interest free credit card on purchases and pay it off quickly. How much is your insurance? 
I think you’re missing the point of what I was asking, Its not an issue paying it or anything like that. I was simply asking to see if it was an option in order to change the month of rewewal from January to another month later in the year that just suits me better. 

Edited by Sham157 - 31 Jan 2021 at 10:34am
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:33am

its  not saving sham.  It's a budget account all the bills come direct debit from the budget account.  It's not a saving account where you change how you much you save.  Its basically just all your bills in the year divided by the amount of salary payments you receive in a year plus 1% surplus cover.  

It basically makes it irrelevant when the bills arrive.  It would totally remove the need for you to move your car insurance renewal date or any other renewal date and they could all be end of year and it would not impact your cash flow one bit. 
Im aware what you’re saying Baldrick. I’ve managed to fund and pay all of these things for years now, mortgages, taxes, insurances, multiple away trips/holidays etc etc. Its a very simple personal desire to have my insurance renewal later in the year. Nothing more nothing less, hence the actual question in my original post.
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:36am
Fair enough sham,  think both myself and slow and blind are aptly named here 😀😀😀😀
AKA pedantic kunt
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:37am
Nothing stopping you doing it Sham, talked to friend in FBD and he said it happens more than you think, but there could be a cancellation on your original policy, all policies are different so he couldn’t guarantee 

f**kin hell this question went sideways LOL

Edited by 9fingers - 31 Jan 2021 at 10:38am
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Slow & Blind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2021 at 10:38am

I think you’re missing the point of what I was asking, Its not an issue paying it or anything like that. I was simply asking to see if it was an option in order to change the month of rewewal from January to another month later in the year that just sts me better. 
I get you now, I'd confused myself! Insurance has to be paid ahead of the period you are insuring so if it's due in January for the year ahead then it has to be paid in January. If the insurance company allowed you not pay until March then it would be a form of credit/finance for the first two months and insurance can't be paid like that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1617181920 23>
  Share Topic