You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Car Insurance

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
The F The F The FAI

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DUBLIN DOC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Sham157 Sham157 wrote:

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/revealed-irish-profits-for-insurer-twice-what-was-planned-38284217.html
So the cartel is alive and kicking still, fancy that, dirty robbing coonts
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2019 at 11:10pm
Insurance companies doing something good as a cartel, working together to out people working the system (allegedly)

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 9:19am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Insurance companies doing something good as a cartel, working together to out people working the system (allegedly)

Don't think you understand the word cartel
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:13pm
That time of the year again..Car Insurance renewal came back from Chill. My current insurers (Ivernia) renewal was €1127 up around €200 on last year but they had a lower quote from another Insurer (KennCo) for €868. Shopped around and got it for €798 with FBD through an Post. Same details on FBDs own site got me a quote of over €1200..

Overall, as a result of An Post, my insurance is down the price of a few pints on last year.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:20pm

That time of the year again..Car Insurance renewal came back from Chill. My current insurers (Ivernia) renewal was €1127 up around €200 on last year but they had a lower quote from another Insurer (KennCo) for €868. Shopped around and got it for €798 with FBD through an Post. Same details on FBDs own site got me a quote of over €1200..

Overall, as a result of An Post, my insurance is down the price of a few pints on last year.
That's still expensive. Obviously you may have circumstances that dictate higher premium.
My premium was €511 with MIG
151 reg Hyundai i40
No penalty points
5 years + no claim bonus
1 windscreen claim in the previous 12 months.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:28pm
Just checked mine there from last May and I paid 390e.

I changed my car from a 05 @2k to a 152 @18k and the insurance went down a fair chunk. Makes no sense but however.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 12:38pm
premium on older cars are higher as they are targeted for use in organised crashes..

also adding another driver to your policy brings down the price generally, dosent make sense either as car probably in use more, but insurance firms believe that you have someone in your life to keep you on steight and narrow and you wont be reckless
Getting old and intolerant
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I changed my car from a 05 @2k to a 152 @18k and the insurance went down a fair chunk. Makes no sense but however.

You will find it makes sense for the insurance company can get away with. Pearse doherty did a great job on.them 
AKA pedantic kunt
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

That's still expensive. Obviously you may have circumstances that dictate higher premium.
My premium was €511 with MIG
151 reg Hyundai i40
No penalty points
5 years + no claim bonus
1 windscreen claim in the previous 12 months.
Yeah still pricey, last year i changed car in Feb it was initially just over €600

162 Lexus IS300H
3 points
7 years NCD
No windy claims.

I kind of get the feeling too that the time of year for my renewal is dodgy too for premiums.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

premium on older cars are higher as they are targeted for use in organised crashes..

also adding another driver to your policy brings down the price generally, dosent make sense either as car probably in use more, but insurance firms believe that you have someone in your life to keep you on steight and narrow and you wont be reckless
yeah when I was shopping around i got quotes for me only and then with a driver added. Quotes were always cheaper with a driver added.
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2020 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

You will find it makes sense for the insurance company can get away with. Pearse doherty did a great job on.them 

Genuinely worth 6mins off your time 
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 6:25pm
Just got my renewal email, €715 fully comp, down from €730 last year and €760 the year before. 
Have been shopping around this afternoon online and haven’t found any cheaper than my current insurer Allianz. Aviva wanted €1475 if I was paying by direct debit LOL

Edited by 9fingers - 24 Jan 2020 at 6:26pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 6:44pm
Forgive my ignorance on this question but if it's illegal not to have car insurance, then why isn't there a Government funded alternative to private companies charging what they want or does that break some sort of trading type laws? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Forgive my ignorance on this question but if it's illegal not to have car insurance, then why isn't there a Government funded alternative to private companies charging what they want or does that break some sort of trading type laws? 
Same as banks and, like banks, when they go tits up they will be saved by the public purse. That's providing they are big enough...
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2020 at 8:52pm

Google PMPA.  

Although there are arguments when the market is failing like it is with public liability insurance that a semi state insurer should probably exist 
AKA pedantic kunt
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 8:52am

This. Car insurance not compulsory in new Zealand. Would sort the cartel out fairly quickly... 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:00pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

This. Car insurance not compulsory in new Zealand. Would sort the cartel out fairly quickly... 
What would that sort out? There's an inunsured drivers fund in Ireland that pays out on cases. That's funded by all of us that do pay insurance. If we'd more uninsured drivers then either that fund would balloon, bumping premiums, or would collapse the fund meaning people would go bankrupt or into massive debt for claims.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

What would that sort out? There's an inunsured drivers fund in Ireland that pays out on cases. That's funded by all of us that do pay insurance. If we'd more uninsured drivers then either that fund would balloon, bumping premiums, or would collapse the fund meaning people would go bankrupt or into massive debt for claims.

It would mean if you have an accident and it's your fault you pay for the damage you cause. Because it's compulsory and because its a cartel, they control the market and price fix. If it wasn't necessary theyd soon cop on. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 23>
  Share Topic