Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 90>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Since Sky turned football its all about Stats and not actually Talent and how good the player is. International Football is on a different level to the Premier League never mind the championship. Its also more about the team rather than the individual and once we lose a 2/3 players the backup isn't there no matter what their stats say. 

Is it Tommy?

I doubt the likes of Moldova or Georgia would have too many players snapped up by PL clubs anytime soon, you only have to look at the sheer volume of Championship players in our squad, Scotland's, Wales and The Nordies squad.

I'd be more than happy to get Scott Hogan in the Ireland set up, sure if he turns out to be another David McGoldrick or Daryl Murphy (ability and impact wise for Ireland) so beat it! We are in a desperate place right now in terms of depth in the striker department so we must use the granny rule to the maximum and be prepared to leave no stone unturned. 
I would actually argue that all three divisions of the EFL have gone backwards, leaving the EPL aside. More money doesn't always equate to more quality! Outside of the top clubs there are an awful lot of very average sides in the championship, which is why any team with a decent coach can have a run at it, Huddersfield being a fine example! I would have actually used the squads of Scotland, the North, Wales and ourselves as proof of the reverse argument!
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Since Sky turned football its all about Stats and not actually Talent and how good the player is. International Football is on a different level to the Premier League never mind the championship. Its also more about the team rather than the individual and once we lose a 2/3 players the backup isn't there no matter what their stats say. 

Is it Tommy?

I doubt the likes of Moldova or Georgia would have too many players snapped up by PL clubs anytime soon, you only have to look at the sheer volume of Championship players in our squad, Scotland's, Wales and The Nordies squad.

I'd be more than happy to get Scott Hogan in the Ireland set up, sure if he turns out to be another David McGoldrick or Daryl Murphy (ability and impact wise for Ireland) so beat it! We are in a desperate place right now in terms of depth in the striker department so we must use the granny rule to the maximum and be prepared to leave no stone unturned. 
I would actually argue that all three divisions of the EFL have gone backwards, leaving the EPL aside. More money doesn't always equate to more quality! Outside of the top clubs there are an awful lot of very average sides in the championship, which is why any team with a decent coach can have a run at it, Huddersfield being a fine example! I would have actually used the squads of Scotland, the North, Wales and ourselves as proof of the reverse argument!

Oh I agree, I was hinting at that you don't have to be a PL player to be international player to even start in our team or the other sides mentioned apologies I should have added that in.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:50pm
Fair enough! I agree we are desperate for strikers but I think the ship has sailed with Hogan.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:27pm
Can't see Hogan ever playing for us and I know there has been about 10 other strikers listed in alternative threads (McGoldrick, Sheridan, Rooney) but I think we should start looking within our current crop of players. McClean has been tried out there but I don't think he is clinical enough to be a striker, however, I think Robbie Brady has the potential to be moulded in to a great striker for us.

A lot of great players are played out of their favoured positions at international level so it is not completely uncommon. It would also, I would hope, remove our dependency on long balls up to a big target man to flick on or hold up.

Not sure that many would agree with me on this one.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
Even if he doesn't declare, he's far from the only option. Long and McGoldrick will be around for a few years yet, then there's the likes of Rooney/O'Brien/Sheridan/Mason who haven't had an opportunity to impress yet, and we have some promising attacking talents at Under-17/19 level.

Failing all of that, there's the other eligible options of Bamford, Keane, Jutkiewicz, Robinson, and Wickham. You'd have to think we could convince 1-2 of them if we really, really tried.
We're decent enough..
GUFC_Andy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GUFC_Andy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:45pm
I appreciate that you're trying to put a positive light on the situation O'Shea, but Rooney, Sheridan and Mason are all pretty gash and not good enough for international football. Haven't seen much of O'Brien but he's still fairly young, could emerge as a option in the future.

Also Bamford and Will Keane aren't good enough and Wickham would never play for Ireland imo

Edited by GUFC_Andy - 29 Mar 2017 at 11:46pm
Don't ban me for no reason, please.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Even if he doesn't declare, he's far from the only option. Long and McGoldrick will be around for a few years yet, then there's the likes of Rooney/O'Brien/Sheridan/Mason who haven't had an opportunity to impress yet, and we have some promising attacking talents at Under-17/19 level.
I can't help but get even more impressed reading that, if we don't make Russia it could be a very long time before we see a tournament, unless they expand the Euros to 48 and the WC to 128!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:23am
We've made thr last two tournaments without a prolific striker, no reason it can't be done again. As long as we have someone decent I think we'll be fine, just means we have to remain airtight at the back and make sure the midfield contributes with their share of goals.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 12:32am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

We've made thr last two tournaments without a prolific striker, no reason it can't be done again. As long as we have someone decent I think we'll be fine, just means we have to remain airtight at the back and make sure the midfield contributes with their share of goals.
We only made the last tournament, unless I completely missed our appearance in Brazil! Anyway, it is incredibly hard to qualify with Long, Murphy and Walters, it would be nigh on impossible with Rooney/Sheridan/McGoldrick/Mason/O'Brien. I don't think a management team of Clough, Shankly, Fergie and Stein could do anything with that list of ineptitude.

Or Micheal O'Neill LOL

Edited by pre Madonna - 30 Mar 2017 at 12:34am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 1:17am
As in euro 2012, which came with Robbie a few years past his best. We're looking reasonably likely to make this one too, again without a huge goal threat.
We're decent enough..
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 2:45am
These threads are horrible, 'Irish' posters calling for an English man to play for Ireland who couldn't give a f**k about representing us. I'd Rather give Sean Maguire a chance, at least he is Irish.
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:19am
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

These threads are horrible, 'Irish' posters calling for an English man to play for Ireland who couldn't give a f**k about representing us. I'd Rather give Sean Maguire a chance, at least he is Irish.
Seanie was born in Luton.
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 3:54am

I agree although I note PMs comment about him being born in Luton LOL he`s always happily taken Irish underage caps so there`s no comparison between him and Hogan in that regard.

I despise these threads. Its clutching at straws stuff. If Hogan wants to chase an England cap best of luck to him and all he`ll get is my gratitude for being straight up about it.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2017 at 4:28am
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

I agree although I note PMs comment about him being born in Luton LOL he`s always happily taken Irish underage caps so there`s no comparison between him and Hogan in that regard.

I despise these threads. Its clutching at straws stuff. If Hogan wants to chase an England cap best of luck to him and all he`ll get is my gratitude for being straight up about it.
I agree to an extent, there is certainly no point waiting for Hogan anymore. Anyway, if he wants to play for us he knows where the phone is. I just hate this ignorant presumption of people's nationality without understanding their circumstances, not to mention questioning other poster's nationality because you disagree with them,  it is what you normally find in the online comments sections of the Daily Mail.
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 4:57pm
What the story with this guy? He is a sub for the most part for villa this year and hadn't scored in I can't remember when. Surely he doesn't think hee can get a English cap
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Possible he just doesn't want an Irish cap.

Strange situation both Egan and Judge were very confident he would line out for us when fit. I reckon an agent has been up to no good with him and lead he down the wrong path very muck like Grealish. I would still love him to declare as he is a good player.

They are both
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 11:18am
He's gone as far as I'm concerned he's been approached at least twice and refused point blank so f**k him.
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2017 at 1:17pm
How do you know he has a). Been approached twice.
And b). "Refused point blank"

It'd be nice to see some actual hard evidence provided at times to back up the wild claims so regularly presented as copper-fastened fact by certain posters....
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5455565758 90>
  Share Topic