You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scott Hogan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 90>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2016 at 7:23pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Calm down lads, whatever happens happens. FOr what it's worth I'd agree with Judges sentiments that he's more likely to end up playing for us than not.

Yeah, I agree with this. 

I think he will play for us - not cos he's gagging to do so, but because within 12 months his probably quite poor prospects with Ingerland will have become clearer.  

Any agent who's in his ear would be telling him it's commercial suicide to accept an Irish call-up now, when there's a possibility, however small, of getting in to England at some stage.  Unfortunately, those kind of concerns may well be in his mind.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2016 at 11:37pm
Don't know whether this adds anything to the debate:
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-striker-scott-hogan-yet-12150442

Maybe the reporter just needed to fill a column this week?
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Don't know whether this adds anything to the debate:
http://www.getwestlondon.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/brentford-striker-scott-hogan-yet-12150442

Maybe the reporter just needed to fill a column this week?

That sounds about right. It seems he has given O'Neill no indication as to whether he will or won't play for the ROI.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 1:25am
The fitness thing is just a palatable PR excuse which saves him from openly offending Ireland while he bides his time (as to which, see my post above).  

Plainly if he's played 16 games straight, he's well able for 20 min off the bench in Vienna or even a start. There would have been nothing to stop him doing an amended training programme with Ireland to assist his rehabilitation, if that even remains an issue at this point. 
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 1:55pm
MON's last press conference indicated a March deadline. Seems fair enough given the lack of games between now and then.
It's not me it's you:-)
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 2:01pm
MON is dead right. If he is fit in March, he should be called up. If he declines, we publicly state that he is no longer under consideration for us and move on.
rebelbrowser View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebelbrowser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 4:04pm
I've posted a variant on this post already in the Conor Hourihane thread but anyway...there is an interesting article in the guardian at https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016ov/10/tammy-abraham-pontus-jansson-championship-most-eye-catching-ps - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/nov/10/tammy-abraham-pontus-jansson-championship-most-eye-catching-players that picks both Conor Hourihane and Scott Hogan in a list of the Championships best players. 

Regarding Hogan it says..." Scott Hogan is a former team-mate of Jamie Vardy at FC Halifax and he could have been forgiven for giving up the whole football thing as a bad business in April 2015. That was when he suffered his second cruciate ligament injury, in a training-ground drill, nine months after the first on his league debut for https://www.theguardian.com/football/brentford - Brentford. But he eventually, slowly, made his way back, scoring seven goals in the final four games of last season, and very much picked up where he left off this term. He has scored eight so far as he spearheads a team who continue to surprise by lurking within striking distance of the play-off spots. Hogan can be one of those players who does not offer a huge amount when he is not scoring goals but in the penalty box he is deadly..."
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2016 at 4:16pm
Originally posted by Lenny82 Lenny82 wrote:

MON is dead right. If he is fit in March, he should be called up. If he declines, we publicly state that he is no longer under consideration for us and move on.

Spot onThumbs Up
KING-CON View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KING-CON Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:27am
Himself and John Egan were at UFC 205 in New York. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:30am
Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Himself and John Egan were at UFC 205 in New York. 

Seen that on the UFC thread someone not sure who, saying it means he'll declare for us now.

I went to Skiing event before and cheered on a Norwegian with a friend (who was Norwegian)  doesn't mean I'm going to declare to play for Norway
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:57am
I'd ask Hulk does he want to be included in the Welsh squad. If he seems uncertain then just forget about him. He has a chance to qualify automatically for a World Cup now. If he feels uncertain then he doesn't have the desire we want from players pulling on the green shirt.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

I'd ask Hulk does he want to be included in the Welsh squad. If he seems uncertain then just forget about him. He has a chance to qualify automatically for a World Cup now. If he feels uncertain then he doesn't have the desire we want from players pulling on the green shirt.

i wouldn't ask him atal anymore. he knows the score. i'd let him come to us now.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 11:59am

Don't think he qualifies for the Welsh squad.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2016 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

i wouldn't ask him atal anymore. he knows the score. i'd let him come to us now.

Interesting to read the story of how Harry Arter approached Martin O'Neill in a car park in 2014 and reminded him that he was eligible to play for Ireland. At this stage, it should be Hogan ringing MON and telling him he's available, not the other way around.
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Interesting to read the story of how Harry Arter approached Martin O'Neill in a car park in 2014 and reminded him that he was eligible to play for Ireland. At this stage, it should be Hogan ringing MON and telling him he's available, not the other way around.

Yes in an ideal world. However you lose nothing by talking to someone so MON should arrange a meeting, have a chat ask him to make a decision. Bring matter to a conclusion well in advance of next match so it is not a distraction.

If he is waiting for a call that does not come it is never finalised.

I buy the fact that he wanted the international breaks off to continue the rehab. It was 2 cruciates after all. However not been available for selection for the moment should not have delayed his declaration. He could have declared and still withdrew from the squad.

Bring it to a head Martin!!
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Yes in an ideal world. However you lose nothing by talking to someone so MON should arrange a meeting, have a chat ask him to make a decision. Bring matter to a conclusion well in advance of next match so it is not a distraction.

If he is waiting for a call that does not come it is never finalised.

I buy the fact that he wanted the international breaks off to continue the rehab. It was 2 cruciates after all. However not been available for selection for the moment should not have delayed his declaration. He could have declared and still withdrew from the squad.

Bring it to a head Martin!!

That would be my thoughts as well. He could have said to O'Neill 'I don't quite feel fit enough at the moment but I want to play for your team'. As things stand, he has fobbed Ireland off a little and remained non commital, so he's certainly going to have to make a decision between now and March.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 1:27pm
What if he doesn't score another goal between now and March? Are we still likely to call him up?

Has hit a bit of a dry patch recently I thought.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2016 at 7:12pm
We were told this lad wanted to use the international breaks to work on fitness. 

What's he doing in New York then?!

Clearly that's all bullsh*t and he is stalling. 

If he scores the goals that get us to the world cup, I'll be delighted. But I'll probably never warm to him.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2829303132 90>
  Share Topic