You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
First foreign team to beat them in England and not the Hungarians as they'd have you believe
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:55pm
Surely it should all be football wise lads. If we as fans were an ice cream we would like ourselves to death. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
irelandshirts View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
I love Ireland jerseys

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandshirts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:58pm
Despite being all over the world following the Irish team including World Cups,post game piss up after Germany game in Chiba and Euros and home matches etc the moment that made me most proud was watching the game away to Russia in 2011 when Richard Dunne was at his best.

I wasnt even at the game but sitting in my living room whilst feeding/holding my new born son.

As i said in another post i wanted to explain to him and show him, even tho he didnt know what was going on, why his dad goes all over the world supporting the Irish team and what it was all about and why it matters.I wanted him to see the passion and dedication of the fans,the spirit of the players. First time father.Two of us crying like babies after it.A magical moment.
WWW.IRELANDSOCCERSHIRTS.COM

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

First foreign team to beat them in England and not the Hungarians as they'd have you believe

Wales beat them in 1920. Wales is derived from a word meaning foreigners. Make of that what you will.
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:10pm
If we're talking on the field....

Shane Long, Germany. A brilliant moment, a brilliant goal. Can't stop watching it, the crowds reaction and thinking back to full-time, the sheer emotion of it. Still makes the hairs on my neck stand up

It was also the greatest two fingers you could show to any Rugby snob or barstooler with no interest in the national team who have slated the Senior Team and those who follow them across the World. 

Richard Dunne in Russia is a worthy mention too

Numerous late goals in our last campaign might not feature highly for some but it revived our never say die attitude amongst the masses once more. And we made those points count in the end!
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 3:15pm
My proudest moments was when mc loughlin scored in belfast to send us through to usa 94, was too young for italia 90 but had been watching the vhs from it from about 92 and absolutely loved it, the theme tune, the fans interviewS, footage of training. Then onto beating the italians in 94 who had broken our hearts in 90, i remember watchin it in ibiza on holiday with the parents. Rememeber a few spanish guys congratulating us and remember feeling about 10 foot tall and genuinely belived we could win the world cup.
Stoked Up View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stoked Up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:30pm
I'm going to go with two. My earliest memory of a famous Ireland victory was watching on TV when Ireland beat the mighty USSR in 1974 with Don Givens scoring a hat trick and Liam Brady making his debut. Some of the crowd were up on top of the roof in Dalymount.

The other one was when we were sat on our backsides, when the Bulgaria v Scotland match ended in Sofia with a Scottish victory, that would send us to our first ever finals in Germany. Having gone so close on many occasions before I thought we'd never get a chance to participate in a major final. Then getting there and being so competitive was an even bigger buzz, especially beating England in our first ever game at a major final tournament.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

My Granda passed away during the week and at the funeral my Dad told a tale of him supporting Ireland as a 23 year old. My Granda told me the same story recently enough and he was able to recite the whole Ireland team with the club teams they played for and talked me through the goals we scored. The match was England away in Goodison in 1949. We were complete underdogs with a hiding expected. England had never lost at home as far as I know. Goals from Con Martin and Peter Farrell gave us a 2-0 win.

On the way back to the boat my Granda was asked 'Oi Paddy, what score was the game'. '2-0' he replied. 'We only beat you 2-0?? Bloody hell'. 'No, we beat you'. A very proud memory for him.

Agree with FW about the FOA in Gdansk,incredible to be there for that. 

Many lads on on here have a lot to be proud of for their work through YBIG for various charities.

Lovely story Z 👏👏😥🇮🇪
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
1/ Roy keane performance vs Holland at home and Jason Mc goal vs Holland
2/Liam Brady's silky goal vs Brazil
3/David O'Leary penalty vs Romania
4/Tony Galvin's mazy run that ended up in houghton's goal vs England 88
5/Ireland's performance vs france in wc qualifiers in a 3/2 win `
6/Any Aldo performance in the green shirt
7/Any Mark Lawrenson and kevin Moran's performances  as partnership in the green shirt
8/Ronnie Whelan's scissor beauty
9/PAUL MC GRATH
10/IRELAND TEAM'S PERFORMANCE VS SPAIN  AT WC 2002
11/The very best right forward of his time playing for IRELAND ..... Steven Heighway
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:23pm
Galvin's mazy run??????????😅😅😅😆
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 6:31pm
The ones that made me proudest have all been said and explained here; Shane Long v the Germans, McAteer, Keano at the death in Ibaraki, Duffer in the second round, Dunne in Moscow... One that made me fiercely proud from the last campaign: McClean's almighty (and fair!) reducer on Milik, and the absolute almighty roar that went up after. Just one of those great moments. the roof came off the f**king place Clap

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 18 Apr 2016 at 6:33pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:19pm
Anthem at every game
OscarDelta View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OscarDelta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 7:22pm
To me its gotta be 1988, been in UK then for 2 years and listening to the patronising garbage about we along to make up numbers and it was England's to win.

Studying desperately for exams and didn't see the game as no working TV in common area in house and one guy with a TV deliberately decided no football........................

Scoring and holding on was brilliant.
What rubbed it further for England fans was BBC decided the following Satuday that it was showing Ireland v Holland rather than the England game as both at same time.
Work was fun and got my exams :)

---
Japan was wonderful as we were 1st game in Japan for World cup, Robbie's goal was out of this world given who against.
-----
France 2004 when French National Anthem was sung by everybody was hair on back of neck standing up moment, got free tickets to that game as guy who got me tickets and was with me at game refused to accept payment because way we as fans had behaved.
--------------
Bringing my lad to Brazil game in London when full shirt was down to his feet and having fans demand a picture with him because he was so sweet and good natured.

He was a passenger with his mum during our 2 friendlys in London in 2004.
St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
Euro 88 takes some beating and qualifiying for Italia 90 in Malta ,fellas running into the ground with their suitcases having been delayed due to fog at  Dublin airport LOL and Bohs beating Rangers!
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:11pm

International: aside from the many great moments, just being on the Kop in 1995 aged 11 against the Dutch was a special moment. There was a clear sense before the game that we were a spent force so it was a foregone conclusion in many ways against mostly an Ajax side that had just won the Champions League that year. Of course, we went in hope but was a fair result, Very moving as a kid to see YNWA sung to Charlton by both Dutch and Irish fans after the game and a good proportion of the Irish fans on the kop singing Aida, the usual Dutch chant at the time, as the Dutch players did their lap of honour.

Niall Quinn sliding in against Van Breuklen in Palermo was the moment I fell in love, remember my old man shaking me up and down in front of the fireplace telling me that my lucky Ireland hat had done it (on it's debut mind!) Clap

Domestically, torn between a few moments but #1:

Pats beating Kilkenny 2-1 in Buckley Park to win the league with about 15 mins to go after Shels threw it away in Dundalk. The FAI had the league trophy sent up to Dundalk so Gormley and Ozo lifting some Kilkenny District League trophy instead on the night LOL Never experienced celebrations like it when the goal went in though, very special

Tony Sheridan's wonder strike in Landsdowne to deny Pats the FAI cup around 95 or 96, lovely strike by any standards

Seeing lads throwing a battered sausage at Tomas Ravelli a few months after Sweden reached the semis of USA 94 when IFK Gotenburg played a LOI 11 in Tolka, in fairness he took it in good spirits LOL

JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 1:29am
YES GALVIN mazy run got the goal vs  England if I recalled correctly  he was  Tottenham's main  left mid at the time
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:10am
Watch it again
RKeane View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RKeane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2016 at 2:54am
McClean's tackle, St Ledger v Italy, Dunne in Moscow, Keane v France, O'Shea & Long v Germany, Kilbane v Czech
YESSSS! IT'S THERE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic