You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OohAah... Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:04pm
1. Shane Long goal and the result(maybe cos it was recent but still raises the hairs)
2. Penalty shootout against Romania
3. Dutch away match (Watching in a quiet hotel in Wexford and the place went off)
4. Macedonia Away( getting a round of applause from Macedonians in a restuarant that their former keeper who played against us owns, when we called in after the game which he asked us to,)

Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:07pm
Stuttgart 06 - the usual village idiots kicking a ball as high as you can running into people crashing tables trying to catch it despite people standing/sitting around gernarlly enjoying a beer,  and people trying to get across the crowd,

A high ball lands about a foot away from a German toddler who burst into tears (his dad was trying to get through the crowd) A couple of irish fans ( not the ejjits) nearby went over and consoled him for a good 5 mins, think they gave him a scarf as well and he and his da went on their way with a smile

I personally would of told the toddler to man the fuk up Smile but still, I thought it was a really nice jesture  
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:08pm
World Cup last 16 match against Spain in 2002. It was the first World Cup Ireland qualified for that I was old enough to remember. Duff tearing it up down the wing. Although it was a missed opportunity they played brilliantly and to do it against a footballing powerhouse like Spain was special. 
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:09pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

Seeing Rob Kiernan doing the bouncy and celebrating after beating Celtic it demonstrates how far we've come as a society. Open and accepting to all, recently passed gay marriage and now our ex u21 captain playing and flourishing for the Teddy Bears

your attention seeking, 'Look at me  , look at me' posts really are tedious at this stage for about 99% of this site, the other 1 % being the other fake profile you invent so you can agree with yourself
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:33pm
John Delaney standing up to Sepp Blatter!
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:38pm
Robbie v the Germans in 2002
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Stuttgart 06 - the usual village idiots kicking a ball as high as you can running into people crashing tables trying to catch it despite people standing/sitting around gernarlly enjoying a beer,  and people trying to get across the crowd,

A high ball lands about a foot away from a German toddler who burst into tears (his dad was trying to get through the crowd) A couple of irish fans ( not the ejjits) nearby went over and consoled him for a good 5 mins, think they gave him a scarf as well and he and his da went on their way with a smile

I personally would of told the toddler to man the fuk up Smile but still, I thought it was a really nice jesture  

That toddler is probably about 12. I reckon his spelling of English words is better than yours by now, too.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:07pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:11pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

That toddler is probably about 12. I reckon his spelling of English words is better than yours by now, too.

LOLLOLLOLAngry
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:12pm
The day Irish fans held John Delaney aloft to cheers of jubilation after he had generously opened the FAI coffers to give free drink to fans on the disco train. It also meant that all the slabs of beer previously purchased could be saved for later. It was heart rendering to see how the football commuity united behind their leader on foreign soil. It would bring a tear to your eye. Proud to be Irish!
I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:13pm
God, where do you start? There are so many.

Long v Germany in Dublin has to be at the top: we beat the World Champions, ffs, and the place was electric
The atmosphere that night in the Aviva: especially the last few minutes
O'Shea v Germany in Gelsenkirchen
Those two games in Paris: performances, support, the lot
The Fields in Gdansk (much and all as it divides opinion)
Richie Dunne's "none shall pass" display in Moscow
Drawing with the world champions Italy in Bari
Keane's equaliser in Ibaraki: if you listen to the BBC commentary, Motson is resigned to Ireland losing despite their performance until it goes in. The number of Japanese fans celebrating like mad really demonstrated our appeal to the neutrals.

Those are definitely my top moments.

I know there are more from further back but I don't really remember Italia '90 and there was only one massive moment from USA '94.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

The day Irish fans held John Delaney aloft to cheers of jubilation after he had generously opened the FAI coffers to give free drink to fans on the disco train. It also meant that all the slabs of beer previously purchased could be saved for later. It was heart rendering to see how the football commuity united behind their leader on foreign soil. It would bring a tear to your eye. Proud to be Irish!

Pity they didn't drop him. Might of knocked some sense into him
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:19pm
Some great moments already mentioned .

O'Sheas last moment equaliser against Germany and the mayhem that followed is another in my opinion.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
Our travelling support has been smashing for years and does make you proud to come from a country where you know you can travel and be welcomed due to having earned an excellent reputation. Our behaviour at all the major events has been great and even though I don't care much for the BFITW nonsence we really are very well behaved, respectful of our hosts and good humoured. This is actually reasonably unique in football support where many other countries intimidate and disrespect locals when they visit.

The Fields in Gdansk was special - I felt it was a show of defiance where we may have been beaten but never defeated. We've come out of tougher corners. Those who disagree can do one, they just don't get it. Although to be fair the TV pictures showed a lot more eejits than I remember from the moment.

Football wise our overall performance at tournaments, the games against England where we're unbeaten in three decades, Mcateer v the Dutch, Robbie and Shane Long against Germany have been proud moments. Also the fact we are one of, I think, only three teams who have qualified for multiple world cups and always got out of our group is a source of pride too.

Edited by eire77 - 18 Apr 2016 at 2:31pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by OohAah... OohAah... wrote:

1. Shane Long goal and the result(maybe cos it was recent but still raises the hairs)
2. Penalty shootout against Romania
3. Dutch away match (Watching in a quiet hotel in Wexford and the place went off)
4. Macedonia Away( getting a round of applause from Macedonians in a restuarant that their former keeper who played against us owns, when we called in after the game which he asked us to,)

Now have had a real think about this question , like someone said so many really . But still can't get past that we were going to play in a world cup quarter final in Rome  for what happened that day against Romania .

That moment will live with me for ever , when David scored .......

Proud, not  sure is a right team for it but the day we played Wales at Croke Park , it was so hard to imagine that this could happen in our country , never forget the anthems still chokes up even now .

Last funny really as this really touched me we were in the posher seats in Yerevan and at the end of the game a father and son was walking along in front of us and Irish lad gave him his scarf .
The look of joy on the boys face was matched by the Father also and was given a huge cheer as he walked along , very simple really but always sticks in my mind of the Irish  are all about at an away game .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:35pm
One of my great memories is Sean St Ledger putting us 2-1 up against Italy in croke park late on(I know we conceded after)
But the seconds after the goal I don't think I have ever seen anything like it I remember looking across at the hogan stand and it was like the stand was moving with all the jumping up and down add to that the noise which was deafening!
Pure magic!!
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Actually just remembered two:

The train platform in Tokyo on the way to the Caneroon match. The media had said there would be max 5,000 Irish in Japan yet the platform was mobbed with paddies. Then the scene when walking into the stadium and all the flags and you just felt this was gonna be something special. Immense pride that a nation of our size could muster such support so far from home.

Secondly, the anthem before the game against Croatia in Poznan. I welled up and could hardly sing it. It had been so long since we had been to a finals. Alas it all went down hill from there.

Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by The Boy Z The Boy Z wrote:

My Granda passed away during the week and at the funeral my Dad told a tale of him supporting Ireland as a 23 year old. My Granda told me the same story recently enough and he was able to recite the whole Ireland team with the club teams they played for and talked me through the goals we scored. The match was England away in Goodison in 1949. We were complete underdogs with a hiding expected. England had never lost at home as far as I know. Goals from Con Martin and Peter Farrell gave us a 2-0 win.

On the way back to the boat my Granda was asked 'Oi Paddy, what score was the game'. '2-0' he replied. 'We only beat you 2-0?? Bloody hell'. 'No, we beat you'. A very proud memory for him.

Agree with FW about the FOA in Gdansk,incredible to be there for that. 

Many lads on on here have a lot to be proud of for their work through YBIG for various charities.

It was their defeat at home outside the 'home nations'. Love hearing stories from that game, that team aren't recognised enough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 8>
  Share Topic