You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

As regards the national team -
3-2 v France 1981
1-0 v Scotland 1987

1-0 v England 1988

0-1 v Italy 1990 - very proud in defeat

1-1 v England 1991 - proud and frustrated

1-0 v  Netherlands 2001

1-1 v Germany 2002

1-1 v Germany 2014 - getting a result in Gelsenkirchen buried a personal ghost from 18th June 1988

1-0 v Germany 2015

As for the FOA game in Gdansk against Spain I didn't exactly feel proud, more a feeling of curmudgeon resilience

1989WCQ Ireland 1(Michel OG) - Spain 0 has to be in there.
Sponsored Links

armahibee View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:41pm
For me personally it has to be the 15 minutes before the Croatian game.the Atmosphere was electric and was immensely proud to see the boys back at the big table again, was all down hill from then
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 5:48pm
Originally posted by Gashley Grimes Gashley Grimes wrote:

Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

As regards the national team -
3-2 v France 1981
1-0 v Scotland 1987

1-0 v England 1988

0-1 v Italy 1990 - very proud in defeat

1-1 v England 1991 - proud and frustrated

1-0 v  Netherlands 2001

1-1 v Germany 2002

1-1 v Germany 2014 - getting a result in Gelsenkirchen buried a personal ghost from 18th June 1988

1-0 v Germany 2015

As for the FOA game in Gdansk against Spain I didn't exactly feel proud, more a feeling of curmudgeon resilience

1989WCQ Ireland 1(Michel OG) - Spain 0 has to be in there.

I remember that Spain match kicked off at 2.30 on a Wednesday afternoon as there were no floodlights in Lansdowne at the time. A few of us handed the principal notes from our fathers to leave early and he was bulling for some reason - so we let the fog horn rip on the way out the school gate. We all thought that Stapleton scored at the time.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
greenforever View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Apr 2016 at 2:08am
Also the Shamrock Rovers all Ireland X1 V Brazil, I think it was 73, fantastic athmosphere and we could have got an equaliser if i remember right.... 4 3 against the Worlds best team
I know nothing :-)
uncle sam View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uncle sam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 8:12am
St ledgers header against Italy
eboue16 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eboue16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 8:50am
the 25 mins in the stadium from when st ledger scored against Croatia up until the unpleasantness that followed was short lived but immense
"He f**ked me over and my attitude is an eye for an eye."
Roy Keane
Talking about Alf Inge Haaland tackle
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 11:59am
Originally posted by greenforever greenforever wrote:

Also the Shamrock Rovers all Ireland X1 V Brazil, I think it was 73, fantastic athmosphere and we could have got an equaliser if i remember right.... 4 3 against the Worlds best team

It was indeed 1973 GF, my first time at Lansdowne Road, me Da brought meself and the two brothers, I remember it so well and that was what sewed the seed of following the Irish team for me, couldn't wait to get back to Lansdowne Road again after seeing this massive green pitch, the flags in the crowd, the atmosphere, me Da roaring Come on Ireland, this was a great game to be at. 
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by fr larry duff fr larry duff wrote:

the thing about the fields of athenry in Gdansk that gave off the wrong impression to the journos and people watching on tv was everytime they zoomed into the crowd they got people (eejits) spotting themselves on the big screen and going mad and cheering cause they were on tv, this gave the impression that we were 'celebrating', 'partying' or whatever.
those of us in the stadium know that wasn't the case and it was being sung in defiance and in fact it was a very sombre, downbeat mood coming out of the stadium that night.  

Its funny, as that is exactly how I saw it in 2012. It was not an extension of a party, or some form of delirious triumph over adversity. It was an indication that Irish fans would remain behind their team, in spite of the abject performance on the pitch, and some bizarre managerial decisions, which were unthinkable to many in the stands. It was an Irish mentality, but it had nothing to do with the Irish "being there for the party".
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:55pm
Being there - the single moment is Robbie Keane V Germany in Japan 02. Never seen anything like the celebrations, have mentioned it before on some other thread, but when fans eventually started leaving the stadium, they had small TVs out at the back of the stands (would ya call that the concourse ?), where the equaliser was being played on loop. So lads would stop on their way out, watch it again on the TV, and then start celebrating all over again, usually with the volunteer Japanese stewards joining in. Great days. 

Dunne Vs The Russians (all of them) in Moscow probably my 2nd favourite, one man nearly single handedly stopping an inevitable defeat. One particular moment that stood out wasn't the numerous blocks or goal line clearances, but at one stage he went on a run from CB with the ball upfield, beat a few lads & made it well into the Russian half and then lost the ball. He chased yer man all the way back to the edge of the Irish box, drew level with him & executed a perfect slide tackle to take the ball back off him. I wasn't there for McGrath V Italy in '94, but that was the greatest individual performance from an Irish player I have witnessed at a game I attended. 

SSL V Italy in Croke Park, it only lasted 2 minutes, but CP will never see 80K people jumping up & down in unison ever again. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
benboview View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote benboview Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 1:58pm
Damien Duff vs Spain in 2002.

OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:18pm
The problem is too many of the greatest moments got cancelled out a few minutes later Thumbs Down The Shane Long goal was unbelievable but there was a sense of utter shock in the stadium as well. I was euphoric and emotional but at the same time it hadn't sunk in that it had actually happened LOL I've never celebrated a goal more intensely than Walters goal against the Scots. Real edge to the atmosphere in that game, it was more like 'lets f**king get one over on these' rather than the hopeful/nervous atmosphere for ze Germans, the mental shouting and roaring only came in that game once we had a lead to protect. We got on top of them in the first half, then when the goal finally came there was absolute pandemonium. then 45 seconds into the second half they threw it away so i don't count it Cry

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 23 Apr 2016 at 2:22pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Ansiopa View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ansiopa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 2:42pm
Jack Charlton send off at Anfield ,,ok, result didn't go our way,,but we showed appreciation for ten years from the big man.
As a bonus I was sitting beside Mick McCarthy.
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 5:21pm
The  best irish performance that i watched as a team was  the defeat in Italy at 1990...we played so well....WE OUTPLAYED THEM .....THE WHOLE GAME.......and the charismatic  Aldridge who was having his best game in that WC,...  was man marked the whole game by 2 italians .... at the time/.. Jack should have introduced  RONNIE WHELAN AND STAPLETON THAT DAY......  later on for someone.... not ALDO
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2016 at 9:24pm
Thought you would have said Eunan O'Kane's debut.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 3:58am
Originally posted by The Huntacha The Huntacha wrote:

Thought you would have said Eunan O'Kane's debut.

For Torquay. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 11:48am
Eh, you should watch that Italy game again. They destroyed us. Schillachi hit the bar with a free kick, had a goal disallowed for offside which looked on as well. Italy were by far the better side. We'd one chance through a Quinn header, that was it.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 9:38pm
Euro 88 in Germany from Rayo to Ronnie to "Auf Wiedersehen" in Gelsenkirchen after losing to Holland.
"Fields" in Gdansk.
John O'Shea in Gelsenkirchen as my kids were with me to experience an Irish away game
http://https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysrtU-sb8C4
JAVIER View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JAVIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2016 at 10:55pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Eh, you should watch that Italy game again. They destroyed us. Schillachi hit the bar with a free kick, had a goal disallowed for offside which looked on as well. Italy were by far the better side. We'd one chance through a Quinn header, that was it.

watch it again.,..  the main chances were from them in the counter attack even their goal was a counter attack...buddy.........   we got the dominance of the game from minute 0 to minte 90 we had half chances I agree with you...but we were there..... charlton should have brought  whelan  and   stapleton later on we were there 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
  Share Topic