You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 12:01am
Some crackers here.
This will make a nice article
Sponsored Links

Trigboy 10 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trigboy 10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 1:32am
i remember as a small kid watching on TV sheedys equaliser against England at italia 90! Mc Loughlins goal aswell in Belfast will always be special! As someone previously said the atmosphere outside Hennessys pub in Kingsbury in 2013 was brilliant and the fans at one stage bringing traffic to a standstill! the little off licence next door was running out of beer and the owner couldn't hide his delight at all these fans who had made Kingsbury the place to be before the game instead of central London! O'shea's goal against Germany aswell and the crazy celebrations as up until that point I don't think anyone was going be having any great memories of dreary Gelsenkirchen!! on the Homefront in 1999 a group of us went to Galway for the Pats v Galway game but we had no way of getting back we took a chance that the supporters bus would have empty seats but they were all full! Pat Dolan became aware of our plight and he allowed the 4 of us get a lift back on the team bus! Can vividly remember stopping at Supermacs in Loughrea and a box load of food been bought for the journey back and Dolan saying help yourselfs!!

Edited by Trigboy 10 - 20 Apr 2016 at 1:49am
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:42am
The one that stands out for me is when Robbie Keane scored against France in 2009 in Stade de France. Traveled over to Paris thinking we had no chance at all after losing in Dublin. Had a great day at the Eiffel Tower before the match and heading out to the stadium I thought we'd be looking at a 2 or 3-0 defeat. I couldn't get a ticket for the Irish end so was in with the French fans. I have to say they were an absolute nightmare. I was with my wife and Johnny2times from the forum. Got nothing but abuse off the people around us right from the start.

The feeling when Robbie Keane scored was like something I've never felt at a football match before. Disbelief, excitement and a feeling that we could pull off probably our best ever result. That moment and the couple of minutes that followed were pure joy.

In contrast, at the end of the match, I can't ever remember feeling as depressed about football. A feeling of anger and injustice. I still can't listen to that bloody Black Eyed Peas song.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 9:56am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I still can't listen to that bloody Black Eyed Peas song.
Me too, fcuking hate that song.
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:05am
TFOA in Gdansk stands out . Special moment In what was a sh*t time on and off the pitch for our country . The comments from people in countries all around the world on YouTube are just incredible . Makes me proud to be Irish reading them
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
Fozzy B View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozzy B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:18am
the other day i watched a video on killianm2 of the penalties and the post match celebtations from the u18 euro final against germany in 98. hearing george hamilton yell ireland are the european champions. great stuff. there must have been one or two lads from on here that were in cyprus that day.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:21am
Originally posted by Fozzy B Fozzy B wrote:

the other day i watched a video on killianm2 of the penalties and the post match celebtations from the u18 euro final against germany in 98. hearing george hamilton yell ireland are the european champions. great stuff. there must have been one or two lads from on here that were in cyprus that day.

Great channel for Ireland clips
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 3:25pm
With the truly awful 5 or 6 year spell that came after it, hindsight made the Spain second round game at the World Cup a nice memory despite the outcome. The fact we had a team that went toe-to-toe with the Spaniards and arguably should have won the game made me proud for a period where there was precious little to be proud about.

The atmosphere in Croke Park for the first leg of the France playoff was something else as well, didn't get matched until the Poland home game this campaign. When Anelka scored there was a brief moment of silence and then absolutely deafeningly loud noise trying to get the team up for it again. As well there was one moment i remember vividly in that game, Duffer absolutely skinning Gallas in the corner and leaving him for dead, wins a corner in the end, turns over to the crowd gesturing like a maniac and the crowd go mental Thumbs Up The electric atmospheres stay with you for a long time!

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 20 Apr 2016 at 3:26pm
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 4:56pm
It was mentioned before but the 2-2 draw to Italy in Croker was amazin. The excitement of the goals, Whelan's due to the class of it and St. Ledger's with the "holy f*ck we are gonna beat Italy" thoughts. OK disappointing to concede then but was one of the, if not THE best game of football I have personally witnessed. With the situation being that even if we had beaten Italy, I think we still needed them to drop points against Cyprus, so the equaliser wasn't heart breaking as it could have been.

I remember coming out of the pub a little while later as the Italian team bus was leaving the stadium, and based on the great game of football we had just witnessed a lot of Irish guys stood and applauded their bus
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 5:18pm
Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 8:23pm
Aye, first and foremost it was the utter unbelievable joy that we'd pulled off a result like that, but it was very nice to have that when people were constantly running down the team as sh*te
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:16pm
Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"
Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 

Edited by PanteirA - 20 Apr 2016 at 10:18pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:19pm

The team, certain managers and players get ridiculed on a regular basis by so called supporters.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
colmoc View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
serious foot fetish

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colmoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:20pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 
Well said kerryman
SRFCpaulie View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRFCpaulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:36pm
Germany away and home in the last campaign. There's a lot of people who dismiss the Irish football team and these games shut them up
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Aye, first and foremost it was the utter unbelievable joy that we'd pulled off a result like that, but it was very nice to have that when people were constantly running down the team as sh*te

Sad thing is though that most of those same people are now tripping over themselves to get tickets for the Euros this summer...and God knows how many of those are getting them!

Anyway, not sure I can add to any of the moments mentioned on this tread tbh, they've already been mentioned but my favourites include Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at Giants' Stadium and McGrath's performance in the same match, Matt Holland's screamer against Cameroon in 2002 WC, our performance against Spain in the 2nd round of that tournament, the atmosphere in Gelsenkirchen in 2014 and of course the celebrations for O'Shea's equaliser.

Hopefully more moments to come this summer
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:44pm

Did a Rugby player rob your missus or something you've an awful obsession of painting Rugby fans as bandwagongers when there'll be plenty in France who haven't been to an Ireland game since the last Euros. You'd swear it was something unique the way you always sh*te on about it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

+1
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
  Share Topic