You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of moments that made you proud to be YBIG fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tony grealish View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tony grealish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by ConorMac77 ConorMac77 wrote:

Originally posted by Gary McKay Gary McKay wrote:

Originally posted by reddladd reddladd wrote:

I stood 10 feet tall heading into work the Monday after the England game, a very proud Irishman and that would continue right up to Italia 90 where we again confounded the critics and battled with the 'forces' of European football. So thanks to Big Jack and the lads for making a nations emigrant sons very proud to be Irish and not afraid to express that. Great memories that made living away from home that bit easier.
I went to live in Lahndan a few months later so the big one for me was Wembley'91.

The build up was immense and such a scramble for tickets among ex-pats.
At least half the stadium was Irish that night despite Taylor's and the FA's efforts to limit it.
Totally bashed them despite the 1-1 scoreline and made up for the bricks and bottles thrown at us on Wembley Way. I remember watching the recording the next day and you couldnt hear the pundits talking after the game all you heard was 'You'll never beat the Irish'.

I was like a King next day in work.

Totally fcuked up that campaign by not beating the Poles at home.
Would have won Euro92.

Throwing away a 3-1 lead away to Poland later that year was arguably worse. Cry

That was an absolute disaster. We also should have beaten Poland in Lansdowne. Euro 92 was a massive missed opportunity. The team was mature, savvy and full of quality - we really could have done something special in Sweden had we made it.
''I've had a rough night and I hate the f**kin eagles, man!!''
Sponsored Links

ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:45pm

Should have been long qualified by then.

True, the dropped points against the Poles in Dublin and Ray Houghton unable to finish that 1-on-1 chance at Wembley, we could well have been making more memories in Sweden. Was a travesty really, that we didn't qualify with the team we had. Cry
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 2:09pm

Should have been long qualified by then.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:50pm

I stood 10 feet tall heading into work the Monday after the England game, a very proud Irishman and that would continue right up to Italia 90 where we again confounded the critics and battled with the 'forces' of European football. So thanks to Big Jack and the lads for making a nations emigrant sons very proud to be Irish and not afraid to express that. Great memories that made living away from home that bit easier.
I went to live in Lahndan a few months later so the big one for me was Wembley'91.

At least half the stadium was Irish that night despite Taylor's and the FA's efforts to limit it.
Totally bashed them despite the 1-1 scoreline and made up for the bricks and bottles thrown at us on Wembley Way. I remember watching the recording the next day and you couldnt hear the pundits talking after the game all you heard was 'You'll never beat the Irish'.

Would have won Euro92.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:48pm
In response to anyone criticising TFOA that night:

"Would you rather they only sing when they're winning?"
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 1:40pm
Have almost cried about 10 times reading this thread haha
Gashley Grimes View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gashley Grimes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:57pm

Would have won Euro92.

If Ray Houghton had of converted that chance towards the end Angry - totally destroyed them at Wembley - Taylor even brought on rookie Lee Sharpe at half time in desperation.

I'd like to nominate those who stood on the roof at Dalymount..........

Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:47pm

Would have won Euro92.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
reddladd View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote reddladd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 11:44am
For me our presence and performances at EURO 88 is what stands out. There have been other moments no doubt but that summer was the best closely followed by Italia 90.

I was living and working in London at the time and was only there 6 months before the Euro's. There was anti Irish sentiment and ignorance even among decent English people. The IRA were prominent in the news and Paddy was getting the wrong end of the stick.

Then Houghton put the ball in the net and the rank outsiders beat the mighty England 1-0 and all of a sudden the Irish could play football something that seemed to go under the radar of alot of people across the water. That victory and subsequest performances against the Russians and Dutch put us firmly on the map and now we (the Irish in England) had something to stand tall about. Jaysus we were even getting praised by the English.

I could agree with you but then we'd both be wrong.
DangerHere View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DangerHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:30am
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Originally posted by ABFC ABFC wrote:

Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"
Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 

ClapClapClapClapClapClapClap Ireland is full of sing when, and only when, you are winning fans.
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 10:25am
True.

A load of Pixieheads dressed up as Leprechauns.

Versus Italy they started singing it after 20 mins FFS.
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 9:13am
Originally posted by fr larry duff fr larry duff wrote:

the thing about the fields of athenry in Gdansk that gave off the wrong impression to the journos and people watching on tv was everytime they zoomed into the crowd they got people (eejits) spotting themselves on the big screen and going mad and cheering cause they were on tv, this gave the impression that we were 'celebrating', 'partying' or whatever.
those of us in the stadium know that wasn't the case and it was being sung in defiance and in fact it was a very sombre, downbeat mood coming out of the stadium that night.  
And no doubt that's what prompted Roy Keane to come up with that 'let's not just go for the sing-song now and again' line in the ITV studio after the match.

But as you say TFOA was sung in defiance and in loyalty to the team. All Roy Keane was seeing on a tv in a studio in Warsaw was a load of fans singing and spotting themselves on the big screens in the stadium. Bet he didn't have a clue about the dejection among the fans coming out of the stadium or he surely wouldn't have said that.

fr larry duff View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fr larry duff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 8:33am
the thing about the fields of athenry in Gdansk that gave off the wrong impression to the journos and people watching on tv was everytime they zoomed into the crowd they got people (eejits) spotting themselves on the big screen and going mad and cheering cause they were on tv, this gave the impression that we were 'celebrating', 'partying' or whatever.
those of us in the stadium know that wasn't the case and it was being sung in defiance and in fact it was a very sombre, downbeat mood coming out of the stadium that night.  
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:51am
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Without doubt Shane Long last October. It was a big FU to the begrudgers who ridiculed the team and the rugby bandwagon fans who would ask me "why do you go to Ireland matches. They're sh*te"

Did a Rugby player rob your missus or something you've an awful obsession of painting Rugby fans as bandwagongers when there'll be plenty in France who haven't been to an Ireland game since the last Euros. You'd swear it was something unique the way you always sh*te on about it

Agreed, while some of it is from rugby heads there'll be a lot of people who said that they'd draw the curtains if the team were playing out their back yard, who will now be in France giving it loads about how they're Ireland's biggest fans.

Anyway, none of that matters really, i don't care who jumps on the bandwagon because it doesnt affect my support for the team and its not the same feeling. You're not supporting a team when you hop on when they're doing well and abandon them when they're sh*t, i don't even see how that's an enjoyable experience at all and it's completely against what being a fan is. It's far more rewarding supporting the team through thick and thin. You know what you're getting when you support this team. There'll be a lot of pain and sh*te gut wrenching moments, but sticking it through all of that makes the brilliant moments so much better. I was an emotional wreck after Shane Long's goal and especially after full time because after so much disappointment in big games like those we had finally done it.

I think the next great irish moment for me is gonna begin on Sunday the 12th of June. Getting into Paris and seeing the place start to become completely taken over. Will be a bag of nerves/excitement about the match. The buzz around the place will be incredible Big smile

Edited by OnTheOneRoad - 21 Apr 2016 at 12:53am
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2016 at 12:27am
z

Edited by fear-glas - 19 Nov 2020 at 11:41pm
kimbap View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimbap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by PanteirA PanteirA wrote:

Someone who would say that doesn't understand football and sport in general. Nobody should follow their country just because of the standard they are capable of playing to. Same goes for your club. I could never understand the people who slated us for singing the FOA the way we did in Gdansk when 4 down. Id challenge anyone to find a more passionate version of it by us or the rugby fans.  One of the many beautiful things about football is the passion it invokes in people , and that passion wasn't found wanting on that dreadful night. Gerk done a great piece at the time in response to some idiot of a sports journo who criticised the Irish support there that night for doing what they were there for , support. Its my stand out moment out of all the great moments iv experienced watching football for the simple fact that iv haven't yet, and probably never will again experience that defiance in the face of defeat and pride of my country 

+1
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:44pm

Did a Rugby player rob your missus or something you've an awful obsession of painting Rugby fans as bandwagongers when there'll be plenty in France who haven't been to an Ireland game since the last Euros. You'd swear it was something unique the way you always sh*te on about it
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2016 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Aye, first and foremost it was the utter unbelievable joy that we'd pulled off a result like that, but it was very nice to have that when people were constantly running down the team as sh*te

Sad thing is though that most of those same people are now tripping over themselves to get tickets for the Euros this summer...and God knows how many of those are getting them!

Anyway, not sure I can add to any of the moments mentioned on this tread tbh, they've already been mentioned but my favourites include Ray Houghton's winner v Italy at Giants' Stadium and McGrath's performance in the same match, Matt Holland's screamer against Cameroon in 2002 WC, our performance against Spain in the 2nd round of that tournament, the atmosphere in Gelsenkirchen in 2014 and of course the celebrations for O'Shea's equaliser.

Hopefully more moments to come this summer
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
  Share Topic