You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Scam or No Scam ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Scam or No Scam ?
    Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:21pm
Right lads I was strolling through Temple Bar an hour ago & seen these Polish lads & I have seen them before up the top of St Stephen's Green too with a frame with a bar across it , like for doing chin ups . €10 ago for €100 prize money for holding on for 100 seconds ! I was standing back having a look at a few boys & girls giving it ago & nobody did it while I was there . As I was standing there beside me was a bouncer & I said anyone done it & he said nobody & he was there 2hours already on the door . He says its some kind of scam ! Ireland' fittest family have a part where you hang from a bar over the sea & some of the lads could do well over 100 secs . 

I have a theory but would like to hear what ye think .... 
bhob View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

YBIGs Donald Trump

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bhob Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:26pm
I think the bar isn't solid/fixed so it can roll and rotate which makes it near impossible to do
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by bhob bhob wrote:

I think the bar isn't solid/fixed so it can roll and rotate which makes it near impossible to do

Yeah that's what they in those holiday resorts anyway.
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 9:51pm
That's it exactly,the bar routes and its usually fairly thick so it's extremely difficult to get a grip.
With enough practice I'm sure it can be done but most people doing around town or at resorts will have no practice or beer on board.

Edited by rossieman - 17 Apr 2016 at 9:54pm
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:53pm
It was in Galway last year. Saw one skinny lad do it. Went up with headphones and full on hypnotised looking. We actually thought he was going to be useless but he did it no problem at all. All the funnier cause the previous seven or eight attempts were juiced up posers who fancied themselves something rotten.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

It was in Galway last year. Saw one skinny lad do it. Went up with headphones and full on hypnotised looking. We actually thought he was going to be useless but he did it no problem at all. All the funnier cause the previous seven or eight attempts were juiced up posers who fancied themselves something rotten.

I dunno what it is but the narrow lads seem to be able to get a better time than the big chaps . There was one East European female & she looked like she was gonna do it & put up a good time . Id say she would knock the bollox out of ya if you crossed her 
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:02pm
Presumably the secret then is to have your two hands turned in opposite directions. If it is going to roll, better to have one on each side than two facing the same way. Like, don't stand underneath the bar, facing forward.... I think a diagram is the best way of demonstrating this. Stand so the bar is running along the sagittal plane, not the coronal plane. It be more awkward at first but the rolling isn't going to roll you off.

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:05pm
I'm not an expert, and I know f**k all about weightlifting or any of that sort of thing, so I'm not even sure that sort of stance is plausible, but it might well get rid of the effect of the bar rolling.
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:09pm
I'd assume a deadlift grip would be the best way to go. You do a number of exercises hanging off bars in Crossfit and thats usually the way to go for some of them (i.e. toes to bar)

Deane View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:27pm
They had the same thing at the Fleadh Cheoil in Sligo last year. Think 1 or 2 people done it out of the hundred or so that tried it. 

They also had a like backwards bicycle where if you steered one way it went the other way. If you could cycle from one point to another without your feet touching the floor you won. 
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:51pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Presumably the secret then is to have your two hands turned in opposite directions. If it is going to roll, better to have one on each side than two facing the same way. Like, don't stand underneath the bar, facing forward.... I think a diagram is the best way of demonstrating this. Stand so the bar is running along the sagittal plane, not the coronal plane. It be more awkward at first but the rolling isn't going to roll you off.

Usually states in the rules that you cant use a deadlift grip
rossieman View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossieman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2016 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Deane Deane wrote:

They also had a like backwards bicycle where if you steered one way it went the other way. If you could cycle from one point to another without your feet touching the floor you won. 

seen those bikes before ,class job Clap
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Butch Butch wrote:

Right lads I was strolling through Temple Bar an hour ago & seen these Polish lads & I have seen them before up the top of St Stephen's Green too with a frame with a bar across it , like for doing chin ups . €10 ago for €100 prize money for holding on for 100 seconds ! I was standing back having a look at a few boys & girls giving it ago & nobody did it while I was there . As I was standing there beside me was a bouncer & I said anyone done it & he said nobody & he was there 2hours already on the door . He says its some kind of scam ! Ireland' fittest family have a part where you hang from a bar over the sea & some of the lads could do well over 100 secs . 

I have a theory but would like to hear what ye think .... 

They do it in Galway too.  It's impossible to do it.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 10:28am
Originally posted by rossieman rossieman wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Usually states in the rules that you cant use a deadlift grip

Have you done physiology?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2016 at 1:24pm
Thought this was about a new tv3 show
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic