You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ChromeCast

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ChromeCast
    Posted: 27 Mar 2016 at 9:22pm
Boys will you do me favour. A friend of mine said I should try here to ask this question because you're a helpful lot. Can you tell me what I need to use Chromecast? My nephew was telling me about it and he must've explained it six times and I'm afraid to ask him again. I would love to cast programmes from my laptop to my TV. I don't have a USB port on my TV. What do I need to buy to be able to cast from lap top to the TV? Fair play.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:10pm
If you dont have a usb port on the telly then chromecast is no good. Check if the telly has a VGA port. Its a rectangle shape with two rows of what look like pin holes in it. There will also be screw holes on each end. If it has this port then you can just buy a cable to connect the laptop to the telly.
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 1:35pm
To establish a receiver to allow a connection:
You plug the chromecast dongle directly into the HDMI port on the tv.
If it doesn't have a HDMI port then it may have a DVI port and need a DVI to HDMI adapter (€10 ish).

To power the device up:
My chromecast came with a mini USB plug so I power it directly from the wall as my tv has no USB connection.

Follow instructions / go on YouTube for directions on how to cast, simple enough process.

Edited by eire77 - 28 Mar 2016 at 1:38pm
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 6:34pm
Don't know if you've bought a chrome cast kit yet, if so eire seems to have given good advice and follow that.
If you haven't I'd recommend a HDMI to HDMI cable. It's a fraction of the cost of chrome cast and does the same job albeit through a wire. It's what I use and I've essentially turned my laptop into a DVD player. It's very simple to do just put one end in your TV and the other in your laptop. Of course make sure your laptop and TV have a HDMI port. Most recent laptops and TVs do.
These are a good company that you can buy a HDMI cable from and they also have an instruction video.
http://www.freetv.ie/laptop-to-tv-hdmi.html

Edited by Bitored - 28 Mar 2016 at 6:42pm
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
BarryO View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 12:48pm
Thank you. I want to cast from my MacBook Air and my iPhone and iPad. Is it possible to chromecast from MacBook Air? I can't seem to download the chromecast app.

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 1:50pm
Apple TV is what you need. On the phone at least only certain apps that support chromecast will work. But again you'll need a HDMI port on the telly
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 3:02pm
Yeah I think chrome cast is far better with android than iPhone. Able to use the likes of Showbox and streaming sports.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
BarryO View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:51pm
Thank you. You guys are a great help. I got the Chromecast last night and I can play Netflix from my laptop which is why I really wanted it. Can any of you give me help about which apps I should download. I am looking for apps that play Tv series and movies and I don't mind paying to rent them but if you knew of apps that could play movies and Tv series for free that would be suitable. Thank you.
BarryO View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2016 at 9:49pm
Any help with this please?
SimpleLogic View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SimpleLogic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 4:38am
It would be useful if you posted what type of tv you have and if it has a hdmi port.
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 7:05am
Originally posted by BarryO BarryO wrote:

Thank you. You guys are a great help. I got the Chromecast last night and I can play Netflix from my laptop which is why I really wanted it. Can any of you give me help about which apps I should download. I am looking for apps that play Tv series and movies and I don't mind paying to rent them but if you knew of apps that could play movies and Tv series for free that would be suitable. Thank you.
https://www.google.com/intl/en_ie/chromecast/apps/

List of apps that work with chromecast. 

Edited by Sham157 - 04 Apr 2016 at 7:06am
BarryO View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2016 at 9:06am
Thank you sham157. 
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 4:06pm
Thinking of investing in one, should I buy one somewhere like Argos for €40 that plugs into a HDMI port or would a dongle on Ebay for €15 or so do the same job?

Does anyone have the Eir Just Mobile app on their phone and know if you can cast it to a TV?

BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by BigPodge BigPodge wrote:

Thinking of investing in one, should I buy one somewhere like Argos for €40 that plugs into a HDMI port or would a dongle on Ebay for €15 or so do the same job?

Does anyone have the Eir Just Mobile app on their phone and know if you can cast it to a TV?

Image result for bump
Charlton's Child View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlton's Child Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 5:00pm

Image result for bump

I’ve got a Chrome cast with the HDMI port brilliant bit of kit defiantly recommend it
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:13pm
My kodi box is f**ked. That's about that 4th one I've had that stopped working.

Anyway, can I use chromecast to send the Sportsmania playing in a Chrome browser in Linux to the TV? if so how?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:27pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

My kodi box is f**ked. That's about that 4th one I've had that stopped working.

Anyway, can I use chromecast to send the Sportsmania playing in a Chrome browser in Linux to the TV? if so how?
there should be a little cast logo on the browser top right corner area. If youre using the phone you could try the cast option from the phone that will just mirror whatever is on the phone. Drag down the quick access menu on the phone and the logo to cast should be in there. If not just go into setting.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2017 at 4:38pm
Yeah I see the cast option now.
So just get the chomecast - and then cast away?
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic