You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : League Of Ireland : Premier and First Division
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Roddy Collins fined E1500 for speaking the truth
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roddy Collins fined E1500 for speaking the truth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
SRFCpaulie View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SRFCpaulie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Roddy Collins fined E1500 for speaking the truth
    Posted: 02 Apr 2016 at 9:33am
This ban is crazy!!! The problem is that a lot of people(managers and players included) feel the exact same way about LOI, they just don't have the newspaper column to express their opinions.

If any ex-LOI player or manager wrote the same thing, I'd presume there's nothing the FAI can do. It's simply journalism and they're not connected to any club
Sponsored Links

St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 10:46pm
What immeasurable  damage has Roddy Collins done to the L.O.I ? The only damage done to a league that is and has always been on its knees is by its Guardians ! Obviously Clubs who have had a bad expierience with Roddy are of another opinion, its a sad day when instead of engaging with people on the ground they resort to a fine and case closed !(Then again they dont engage....Full Stop).
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
pateen11 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

It's a nonsense that someone can be fined for giving their opinion.
no, its the real world. criticise your employers or professional body in the media and let me know how you get on.

Roddy hadn't been in the press for ages, Roddy decides to get himself publicity. Roddv v the system. The fact that this man has done immeasurable damage to Irish football over the years is irrelevant of course...

The first is interesting though the FAI wouldn't be true employers as such, just the governing body.

The second point about immeasurable damage I not sure I get
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 12:37am
I still think it`s an own goal from the FAI, at a time when they need all the goodwill they can get from fans of domestic football. Roddy has been blunt in his criticism of that body for several years now but they over reacted by throwing the proverbial book at him. Gagging criticism without addressing it is not the way to go. 
"If you fail to prepare, you`re prepared to fail" - Mark Spitz
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 7:28pm

So explain why Graham Barrett's comments weren't silenced?

You'll have to direct that one to the fai. If there's one thing the fai is consistent about, it is been inconsistent.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 2:42pm
So explain why Graham Barrett's comments weren't silenced?
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 2:37pm

Write a newspaper column criticising your employers, by name, and let me know how you get on with that distinction

If it was Waterford board he was criticising I'd agree with you. However, the fai aren't his employers regardless of how you want to paint it.

Regardless of anyone's opinion of roddy, the bigger picture is the fai attempting to silence any dissent within the league. It's an absolute joke.

Though the other side of it is the idiots in all the clubs signed up to this agreement. They should have backbone and all not sign up to the league until they can get free speech. Openly questioning things is healthy.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 8:48am
Write a newspaper column criticising your employers, by name, and let me know how you get on with that distinction
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2016 at 12:15am
Fair comment "RTID" and I certainly agree with some of your points - especially that Roddy has access to FAI commitees to lobby for change.

I just thought the FAI were heavy-handed in the way they dealt with this issue. 1500 Euro is a hefty fine in the context of LOI wages and a 6-game touchline ban is excessive so early in the season. Surely the FAI could`ve foreseen the backlash from fans and treated this case with more sensitivity?

Yes, Roddy is managing a LOI club and there`s a charter of rules in place, so he knows the consequences. But he spoke in his capacity as a newspaper columnist and merely expressed his opinion. The FAI should`ve copped this distinction - Roddy speaking as a columnist and expressing his views, as opposed to Roddy speaking out as manager of Waterford Utd. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2016 at 9:53am
He is dismissed as a spoofer and a chancer because he is a spoofer and a chancer.

Roderick has managed around 13 seasons in the LoI. He has had more opportunity than most to implement some of the things he decries not being in place. He has access to FAI committees to lobby for change.

I am not in any way shape or form defending the FAI, substantively Roderick is right.  The problem is how self serving he is and the fact he is not a credible martyr for change.
Xpro View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Not a WUM anymore

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Xpro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:09am
Get with the consensus "RTID". We can`t all be wrong in our conclusion that the FAI have failed miserably over the years in promoting the LOI. If you have friends/acquaintances within that organisation then please own up, as you appear to be an unashamed apologist in your posts so far.

Roddy has been the butt of heavy criticism for many years now and on the managerial front, much of it has been justified. He`s vocal, a strong personality with strident and passionate views, and many will dismiss him lazily as a spoofer or chancer.

I don`t have access to his column or comment in the tabloid press as I don`t buy newspapers, (apart from the Sunday Times every fortnight), but I`ve read enough through social media over the past week to convince me that he`s speaking an uncomfortable truth.     
St.Pauli Reloaded 2 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote St.Pauli Reloaded 2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:53pm
Bucket collection before the game tomorrow evening to help Rodster pay the fine 👍
In Martin and Roy we Trust !
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:42pm
Personally I agree, the FAI should have simply ignored him
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:32pm
Glad to hear it.

He should have been ignored so.

"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:28pm
And they are. The Premier Club Alliance for example.

Roddy has a voice within the FAI to be heard. He chose martyrdom.
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 3:22pm

You lot are utterly deluded if you think clubs will band together to defend Roddy's right to not have the rules apply to him.

Thats not what was meant but I think you know that...

I'm no fan of Roddy's approach. There are vaild concerns about the league and grassroots development that need to be raised in a more coherent and united manner.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 2:56pm
You lot are utterly deluded if you think clubs will band together to defend Roddy's right to not have the rules apply to him.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 2:55pm
Originally posted by Daragho Daragho wrote:

It's a nonsense that someone can be fined for giving their opinion.
no, its the real world. criticise your employers or professional body in the media and let me know how you get on.

Roddy hadn't been in the press for ages, Roddy decides to get himself publicity. Roddv v the system. The fact that this man has done immeasurable damage to Irish football over the years is irrelevant of course...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic