You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Lowest of the low football chants

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HuntysCousin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:31am
A good friend of mine was in the away end,he reckons the number of fans who sang about Hillsborough was blown out of proportion (he condemned those who did)

Unfortunately,it's just common practice for away fans to sing offensive chants at derbies,it's not just limited to England.It has been condemned by many fan,doesn't mean it won't happen again
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:35am
What I find gas is the fact so many Irish ''fans'' (I would prefer the more accurate term consumers meself) of both clubs seek to engage in plain oul  'whataboutery' when this subject arises. 

Some class of weird justification for scumbag behaviour ' Ah yeah, Man U fans sang about Hillsborough, but those disgraceful Liverpool fans sang about Munich in a pub beforehand' (Or a simple vice versa depending on where your foreign club allegiances lie) as if this somehow makes it equal or OK. 

E77 hit the nail on the head, simply a huge amount of EPL fans in general are brainless scum, regardless of club. SB's absolutely pathetic post about ''retaliation'' being an example just on this thread. 

Over in the children's section (AKA ROTW) , Liverpool fans on here (and going on the general age profile of the YBIG site, not too many over 30 years old) have been referred to as '' murderers'' by other lads not actually old enough, or maybe even born before 1985 to have sadly watched the Heysel disaster (and yes, Liverpool's scumbag fans more or less entirely to blame for it) unfolding live on TV. 

Absolutely zero comprehension of the scumbag fan culture that prevaded in England in those days from one set of fans/consumers, and absolutely zero regard for the scale of the human tragedy from another set of fans/consumers of a different club, few of which remember a time before a certain Scots lad was the manager of Man U. 

I'm half glad the brainless & witless continue to sing about these subjects, it gives our own brainless sheep (Well, my family has always supported Man U/Liverpool mate, it was handed down to me & I have no choice, and by the way it was nothing to do with the fact they happened to be winning all around them at the time) something to think about here & there. Not that it costs them much more than a few second's thought in general, but f**k it, they are precious seconds. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
eire77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eire77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 11:52am
I'd go further than EPL Deise, English league teams and national team supporters not much better. Why Irish people choose to associate themselves with these knuckledragging jingoistic morons is one of life's continuing mysteries.

At least when we support our national team people pull others up when they cross the line (generally). There is a general culture of respect to others which has to be commended - it's the reason we are welcomed in other countries and our neighbours are usually not.

Edited by eire77 - 13 Mar 2016 at 11:53am
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get me...
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 11:54am
Same logic applies to LOI supports who wouldn't cover themselves in glory either.
They try and replicate everything our UK neighbours do too.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Same logic applies to LOI supports who wouldn't cover themselves in glory either.

I cringe at 'we'll beat them black and blue'. Great chant but no need for that line.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 2:31pm

Spot on.

Was drinking with LOI Cork City fans yesterday in Cork who took great delight in telling me that they roared abuse at some middle aged Dublin couple who mistakenly went to the 'shed end' in Turner's Cross and he thought this would impress me.

He then started with some English style chant about hating dubs.

Anytime I've been to Cork they come out with this obsessive rubbish about Dublin and Dublin people/LOI teams.

LOI fans have their own arsehole element too and they even take the air of English chants which is embarrassing stuff as well.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

I'd go further than EPL Deise, English league teams and national team supporters not much better. Why Irish people choose to associate themselves with these knuckledragging jingoistic morons is one of life's continuing mysteries.

At least when we support our national team people pull others up when they cross the line (generally). There is a general culture of respect to others which has to be commended - it's the reason we are welcomed in other countries and our neighbours are usually not.

Your second point is spot on Eire but what Irish people/supporters are associating themselves with these morons?
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Spot on.

Was drinking with LOI Cork City fans yesterday in Cork who took great delight in telling me that they roared abuse at some middle aged Dublin couple who mistakenly went to the 'shed end' in Turner's Cross and he thought this would impress me.

Anytime I've been to Cork they come out with this obsessive rubbish about Dublin and Dublin people/LOI teams.

LOI fans have their own arsehole element too and they even take the air of English chants which is embarrassing stuff as well.

Ya that song is cringe alright. Never heard anything too outrageous at a LOI game tbh though just the occasional English style nonsense as you said. As for the Cork/Dublin thing I see where you are coming from but the most successful clubs are in Dublin so what do you expect. Noone overly fond of Dundalk either ha. Anyway miles of topic. I would say the famine song is the lowest chant I've heard in person
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
d13dave View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d13dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 5:41pm
I have a fairly thick skin when it comes to bad taste chants designed to wind up opposition fans and players but mocking incidents where fellow football fans died tragically is too much for me and even after a skinful i would not join in (Hillsborough, Heysel, Munich, Leeds lads in Istanbul, Bradford fire etc). Should be left well alone

Thankfully you hear very little of it in international football

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by AnCearrbhach AnCearrbhach wrote:

Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Spot on.

Ya that song is cringe alright. Never heard anything too outrageous at a LOI game tbh though just the occasional English style nonsense as you said. As for the Cork/Dublin thing I see where you are coming from but the most successful clubs are in Dublin so what do you expect. Noone overly fond of Dundalk either ha. Anyway miles of topic. I would say the famine song is the lowest chant I've heard in person

Good post Cearrbhach.

It wasn't so much focused on some Dublin team LOI fan that was but this lad's ridiculous hatred for Dublin people.The fact myself and my mate from Mayo by default,he had us as sounder skins from the off which is daft tbh.

We still went on the piss with him for the nect 5 hours
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

I have a fairly thick skin when it comes to bad taste chants designed to wind up opposition fans and players but mocking incidents where fellow football fans died tragically is too much for me and even after a skinful i would not join in (Hillsborough, Heysel, Munich, Leeds lads in Istanbul, Bradford fire etc). Should be left well alone
<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> </span>

Exactly Dave.

But no right minded person engages with this rubbish.

I met Enlish fans at the euros and they were the soundest people you could meet.

We met others that were sound to us but acting the prick in the place we were drinking in and eventually got kicked out.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 9:29pm

A sizeable proportion of football fans in general are brainless scum. Its not just the EPL.

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 9:39pm
Originally posted by d13dave d13dave wrote:

Well, in the space 2mins they go from celebrating the killing of catholics to celebrating the killing of germans. 

There is a percentage of football fans are mindless, simple as and my comment about retaliation wasn't a justification i was merely pointing out why they do it. When Rangers begin their bouncy bouncy chant, they'll be getting something involving the IRA coming back in their direction that element will never leave football. If lads have a real issue with that and don't want to associated with it they should stick to rugby, GAA be real ffs there is a hooligan element to football there always has been, look at eastern europe Poland, Ukraine,Serbia  Hungary they're absolutely fanatical.

Edited by SByrne24 - 13 Mar 2016 at 9:41pm
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 9:47pm
So, SByrne..the solution to hooliganism and scummy behaviour is to do likewise or just not go? Someone else mentioned whataboutery a few posts back...

As for your suggestion to become a rugby fan...I think I would rather take a slap from some far right looney if those are the options.

Do you join in with these chants by the way?
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by Colum Colum wrote:

So, SByrne..the solution to hooliganism and scummy behaviour is to do likewise or just not go? Someone else mentioned whataboutery a few posts back...

As for your suggestion to become a rugby fan...I think I would rather take a slap from some far right looney if those are the options.

No, I didn't say that. I used the rational behind the responses from supporters, i.e. chant about the famine, get the IRA sung back. Thats how its been for years, its not about to change because a few lads on YBIG moan about it.

Do I join in? in booing the English anthem as i pointed out before? No, I've no issue with the English nor England I live here. Do I sing, Celtic Symphony/Boys of the Old brigade at Celtic Park/Hampden, Yes I do. I'm a Glasgow Celtic fan, we've a bit more class then to chant about Hillsbrough or Munich we chant about the army who got our countries freedom.

Edited by SByrne24 - 13 Mar 2016 at 9:53pm
Colum View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Colum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 9:58pm
But the way to change it is to moan about it. The more football fans that condemn it the better. It might not work but the message is there that we don't want it
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 10:02pm

But the way to change it is to moan about it. The more football fans that condemn it the better. It might not work but the message is there that we don't want it

Are you a Man United/ Liverpool fan? 
Bo Jackson View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bo Jackson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 10:10pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

No, I didn't say that. I used the rational behind the responses from supporters, i.e. chant about the famine, get the IRA sung back. Thats how its been for years, its not about to change because a few lads on YBIG moan about it.

Do I join in? in booing the English anthem as i pointed out before? No, I've no issue with the English nor England I live here. Do I sing, Celtic Symphony/Boys of the Old brigade at Celtic Park/Hampden, Yes I do. I'm a Glasgow Celtic fan, we've a bit more class then to chant about Hillsbrough or Munich we chant about the army who got our countries freedom.

Aye, cause Celtic fans have never sung about the Ibrox disaster Embarrassed
You don't know Bo?

2018 YBIG Fantasy Football Champ!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic