FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magilton fumes over more North Defections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

<span style="line-height: 1.4;">
Quote  </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">It says a lot for the Northern Ireland mentality that an Airport was named after a drunken wifebeater
</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">It doesn't really. It reflects that Best was a local who's widely ackowledged as Britain's greatest ever player. He'll be remembered more for that than as a drunk.</span>
</span>
<span style="line-height: 1.4;">A few years ago, a new railway bridge opened in Belfast City Center. It was named not after some politician, genereal or unelected royal, but instead for 19th rilway engineer William Dargan. Presumably that says something for the local mentality too? </span>

A drunk & a wifebeater ! , lets not forget the wife beating part -a marvellous footballer but a dreadful person who most certainly did not deserve to have an Airport named after him.
Mr.Dargan was a fine engineer who richly deserved the honour bestowed on him , a reputation unsullied by abominable behaviour.

Edited by deiseblue - 07 Mar 2016 at 2:09pm
Sponsored Links

Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:07pm
Paul Scholes the greatest ever? Are you stoned, man?

Apologies to Terri for the granda gag ;)

My footballing career never reached higher than Trinity College 2nd XI (one game in a flu epidemic) and the Department of Transport Reserves.

I have however refereed the following luminaries. Match the player to the misdemeanor

A John Leslie (Blue Peter)
B Alan Davies (Jonathan Creek, QI)
C Phil Daniels (feat Blur)
D Neil Arthur (Lead singer of 80s popsters Blancmange)
E Goran Bunjevčević (Spurs and Yugoslavia)

1 Strolled through for a first minute opener as his marker gaped "F*cking Hell, it's *****"
2 Partnered Spizzenergi of 'Where's Captain Kirk' fame in center midfield
3 Insisted on non-playing sub role at his day job's insistence
4 Apologised for disputing a penalty (which he saved) before offering some post-match Charlie
5 Called me a fat bald deaf blind cheating Sc*ttish ***t- OK, fair comment bar the last ;)

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 07 Mar 2016 at 2:21pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:06pm

I understand Terri played in the same league with a current NI international's granda ;)
No, it was the father of a current NI international.

And I may played against the father of a very distinguished ROI player, as well.

Though they were all goalkeepers (fathers and sons), so I never troubled them too much, if truth be told.

As for the other player Ithink you refer to (a fifth goalkeeper!), I knew his grandfather, not played against him - I'm not that feckin old!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 2:03pm

Originally posted by ManicManc ManicManc wrote:

It reflects that Best was a local who's widely ackowledged as the greatest ever Irish player in Britain. He'll be remembered more for that than as a drunk

Very droll, Mucker ;)

Some years ago in the local back home, a West Ham United supporting cockney on holidays (rich fecker and all) made that mistake by claiming the two greatest British players ever were Paul Scholes and George Best 

So refraining from throwing my barstool in his vicinity or my toys out of the pram (you know the way the DUP does on almost every occasion) Wink , I politely reminded him that Best was Irish. 

Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by deiseblue deiseblue wrote:

It says a lot for the Northern Ireland mentality that an Airport was named after a drunken wifebeater .
I'm sure if you looked closely enough, you might find any number of memorials in the ROI to public figures whose personal life hardly bears scrutiny.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by RoyD RoyD wrote:

Was this video taken around the ground?
I've no idea.

You tell me.

Meanwhile, I repeat that I haven't heard the BB in the ground for many years, nor outside the ground, when it comes to it.

Listen, I'm not denying that there is an unsavoury, actually scumbag, element in NI who would seek to attach themselves to the NI team.

But what I am saying is that the atmosphere in and around the ground is nothing like our detractors would have it, chiefly because the vast majority of true fans(i.e not Rangers fans and the like) are simply not prepared to stand for it. 

And if you seek the views of the likes of 'Gspain' of this parish, who actually goes to NI games occasionally, you will find objective proof of what I'm saying.

Edited by Territorial - 07 Mar 2016 at 2:15pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:42pm

Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

NI had a real oppurtunity not long ago to...move to a new stadium. They did not. They would not. Would it make guys like mcclean play for NI? Probably not but at the very least it was worth a try, neutral venue, neutral stadium location

Stick, the proposed stadium at Long Kesh was, variously

a) very unpopular with NI fans (ie the ones who would actually be using it if built)

b) of little interest to either the IRFU or GAA who were also approached as potential tenants

c) much more expensive as costed compared with improving existing facilities- and that's before you consider the lack of easy access routes, food and drink outlets etc. in an area three miles from the nearest town centre.

It's naive to assume that, if built, it would have been welcomed as a 'neutral site'. Both Unionist and Nationalist hacks  would have found some evidence of bias to the other side. 
To elaborate further, the IFA actually signed up to the site, their Chief Executive of the time, Howard Wells, being much more enthusiastic then eg his counterparts in the GAA:

Meanwhile, The Maze is not just "3 miles from the nearest town centre".

It is also the site of a former airbase.
And the RAF don't tend to build runways near to built up areas. In fact the Maze site is in the countryside.

Which is one reason why it's now being used by the Royal Ulster Agricultural Society for their annual show. And by precious few others.

Meanwhile, The Maze was pulled on the advice of civil servants in the Dept of Finance, since the viabilty figures simply didn't stand up. Nor never could have.
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I met a member of Fergusons family. If he was good enough he would have played for Ireland, simple as.
Ah right, "a member of his family".

Is that a step up or a step down from " a fella in the bar"?

Either way, you still overlook that the FAI must have thought he had a chance - and offered him the chance - otherwise they wouldn't have sent Mick Martin to ask him.

Get out of that one, Sherlock

I met a close member of Ferguson's family at a work event in Belfast a couple of years ago. The person in question was very nice actually. It was a for a major bank up north. Im not going to name the person or the bank on here.
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by ManicManc ManicManc wrote:

It reflects that Best was a local who's widely ackowledged as the greatest ever Irish player in Britain. He'll be remembered more for that than as a drunk

Very droll, Mucker ;)
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:32pm

I met a member of Fergusons family. If he was good enough he would have played for Ireland, simple as.

Either way, you still overlook that the FAI must have thought he had a chance - and offered him the chance - otherwise they wouldn't have sent Mick Martin to ask him.

LOL

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:28pm

Quote  It says a lot for the Northern Ireland mentality that an Airport was named after a drunken wifebeater

It doesn't really. It reflects that Best was a local who's widely ackowledged as the Britain's greatest ever Irish player in Britain. He'll be remembered more for that than as a drunk.

Fixed Thumbs Up
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
Alan Kernaghan played for the Republic and was from an Ulster unionist background I believe. I'm open to correction on that though.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:21pm
Quote  It says a lot for the Northern Ireland mentality that an Airport was named after a drunken wifebeater

It doesn't really. It reflects that Best was a local who's widely ackowledged as Britain's greatest ever player. He'll be remembered more for that than as a drunk.

A few years ago, a new railway bridge opened in Belfast City Center. It was named not after some politician, genereal or unelected royal, but instead for 19th rilway engineer William Dargan. Presumably that says something for the local mentality too? 

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 07 Mar 2016 at 1:22pm
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:15pm
A mate of mine was at school with Ferguson. In Eglinton. I believe.

I understand Terri played in the same league with a current NI international's granda ;)
deiseblue View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deiseblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:14pm

By your own definition therefore we can clearly state that Northern Ireland's most iconic player , George Best , falls into the "tramp " category given his drink driving conviction never mind his predilection for wife beating !

I have never defended or condoned Best for those things.

Though this is where he's meant to have met his wife, Alix:

So you happy to state unequivocally that Best is a tramp ?
It says a lot for the Northern Ireland mentality that an Airport was named after a drunken wifebeater .
RoyD View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm

Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

I cycle up the lisburn road and have done so on matchdays and often find n.i fans singing the billy boys or doing the bouncy.
I've been to most NI home games in the last 10  years-odd and I don't recall anyone singing the BB at or around the ground.

And what is your objection to the Bouncy?

Was this video taken around the ground?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BQrBc-JXbc
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:11pm

By your own definition therefore we can clearly state that Northern Ireland's most iconic player , George Best , falls into the "tramp " category given his drink driving conviction never mind his predilection for wife beating !
I have never defended or condoned Best for those things.

Though this is where he's meant to have met his wife, Alix:

Best was a talented boy alright, but no Victor Moreland or Derek Spence...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2016 at 1:10pm

Edited by Territorial - 07 Mar 2016 at 1:13pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 14>
  Share Topic