You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Magilton fumes over more North Defections

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 11:03pm
Nationalist/ Republicans across the boarder pay their taxes (slabs mates aside!). These taxes in part fund the IFA and grass roots football up there. Im not buying the 'they wasted our time and money' argument
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:50am
Originally posted by peterbelfast peterbelfast wrote:

it is ultimately the players choice, whether they choose to play for ireland or the north. Their reasons are secondary and their choice should be respected whatever their reasons are, as someone from belfast i feel no affinity at all for the pub team and even less for their fans. Easy to see how men from a nationliast background choose not to represent the north. I cycle up the lisburn road and have done so on matchdays and often find n.i fans singing the billy boys or doing the bouncy. U can talk about anthems and flags and identity, the fact of the matter is that nothing will change regarding that, any attempt to change flags or anthems would be viciously opposed by large sections of ni. fans so we will have the same stories time and time again  
Any of your Nationalist friends support the pub team?
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 7:06pm
One of them hale brothers banged in 10 golas in 3 games for Birmingham u18s couple of weeks ago.
peterbelfast View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:28pm
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

it is ultimately the players choice, whether they choose to play for ireland or the north. Their reasons are secondary and their choice should be respected whatever their reasons are, as someone from belfast i feel no affinity at all for the pub team and even less for their fans. Easy to see how men from a nationliast background choose not to represent the north. I cycle up the lisburn road and have done so on matchdays and often find n.i fans singing the billy boys or doing the bouncy. U can talk about anthems and flags and identity, the fact of the matter is that nothing will change regarding that, any attempt to change flags or anthems would be viciously opposed by large sections of ni. fans so we will have the same stories time and time again  

Any of your Nationalist friends support the pub team?

Not 1 nationalist I know does. Even moderate nationalists I don't know of 1 that goes to watch them and I have played football and gaa for years and would know a lot of lads into sport.

Edited by peterbelfast - 24 Feb 2016 at 9:34pm
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 3:16am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Nationalist/ Republicans across the boarder pay their taxes (slabs mates aside!). These taxes in part fund the IFA and grass roots football up there. Im not buying the 'they wasted our time and money' argument

Your two points don't follow one from the other. While all taxpayers have a valid say in how public money is spent, that doesn't contradict the claim that it's wasteful for- say- a player to turn out repeatedly for NI adult sides, then to leave them for the South.

Originally posted by Peter Belfast Peter Belfast wrote:

Not 1 nationalist I know does. Even moderate nationalists I don't know of 1 that goes to watch them and I have played football and gaa for years and would know a lot of lads into sport

I travel to NI games home and away with a devout Roman Catholic; another friend carries the Derry City NISC flag. Everyone knows that the large majority of 'CNR' fans in NI  support the South, there's no need to claim that your circle of friends proves the point 100%.

Edited by Floreat Ultonia - 25 Feb 2016 at 3:31am
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:16am
I'm from Derry, I also wouldn't know a single fan of the north. Plus the tax isn't wasted if the player devolps and plays for Ireland.
I'd say your friends are in the 1% club flo.

Edited by cardwizzard - 25 Feb 2016 at 10:19am
drog addict View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Castleknocker

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote drog addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 10:52am
Originally posted by Floreat Ultonia Floreat Ultonia wrote:

Your two points don't follow one from the other. While all taxpayers have a valid say in how public money is spent, that doesn't contradict the claim that it's wasteful for- say- a player to turn out repeatedly for NI adult sides, then to leave them for the South.

<span style="line-height: 13.44px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">

Not 1 nationalist I know does. Even moderate nationalists I don't know of 1 that goes to watch them and I have played football and gaa for years and would know a lot of lads into sport
</span><span style="font-size: 10px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 13.44px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">
</span>
<span style="line-height: 13.44px; : rgb251, 251, 253;">I travel to NI games home and away with a devout Roman Catholic; another friend carries the Derry City NISC flag. Everyone knows that the large majority of 'CNR' fans in NI  support the South, there's no need to claim that your circle of friends proves the point 100%.</span>

Devout Roman Catholics 😂😂😂😂, ah Heyor!! What's their favourite soup??

Edited by drog addict - 25 Feb 2016 at 10:52am
Chips don't bounce
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 11:05am
Martin ONeill fumes over Eamon Zayed defection

Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 11:42am

I travel to NI games home and away with a devout Roman Catholic; another friend carries the Derry City NISC flag. Everyone knows that the large majority of 'CNR' fans in NI  support the South, there's no need to claim that your circle of friends proves the point 100%.
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 11:47am
If he travels to games home and away, surly he most know hundreds of fans at least. The fact he 'knows' of two Catholics is proving the point of the vast vast majority support Ireland.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 11:54am

i was asked a question and i gave an answer, i made no claim that my experience proves anything 100%. If u are happy to go then fill your boots, personally i wouldn't open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden. I  would occasionally go to cliftonville games and against certain sides their fans like to display uvf flags, parachuite regiments flags etc. These are the same boys that follow N.I and i am upset that i have to share the earth with them, so no  way would i share a ground with them. Like i said earlier, the anthems flags and mentality of sections of the N.i support will never change and thats fine with me because i would never support them and will not be bringing my children up to support them either, the cycle will continue
daveyc View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daveyc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:04pm
I have 1st cousins in Tyrone and Belfast. One travels regularly down and was ST holder like myself. They do not know anyone from their extended family or friends from nationalist background who supports NI. 
Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:15pm

i was asked a question and i gave an answer, i made no claim that my experience proves anything 100%. If u are happy to go then fill your boots, personally i wouldn't open my curtains if they were playing in my back garden. I  would occasionally go to cliftonville games and against certain sides their fans like to display uvf flags, parachuite regiments flags etc. These are the same boys that follow N.I and i am upset that i have to share the earth with them, so no  way would i share a ground with them. Like i said earlier, the anthems flags and mentality of sections of the N.i support will never change and thats fine with me because i would never support them and will not be bringing my children up to support them either, the cycle will continue
How come players like McGinn, Ferguson, McCourt etc play for the North when it goes against everything they were brought up with?
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote peterbelfast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:31pm

How come players like McGinn, Ferguson, McCourt etc play for the North when it goes against everything they were brought up with?

didn't ferguson declare for us then change his mind when he realsied he wasn't getting near the squad. The way i see it is that fans have a choice who they can support and supporting an international team isn't going to benefit their personal careers. However playing international football can certainly benefit a players career so they have more to gain by playing with a team that they maybe wouldn't choose if both options were viable, and some players are prob afraid of kicking up a storm if they turndown callups etc. 
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 12:55pm

Because they wouldn't have gotten anywhere near the FAI XI.

If our PUL chums had a strategic bone in their body they would tolerate this. We now have a de facto United Irish side, which takes pressure off the IFA to be subsumed into the FAI. Let players choose, but yes, I can see the frustration when they wait until they are 20 to do so.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 1:25pm

That's a fair point. But, how many players that have changed to our team, have played under age games for Norn Iron? Been coached and made better players, they didn't have a problem with it then. 

Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by cardwizard cardwizard wrote:

Plus the tax isn't wasted if the player devolps and plays for Ireland.  I'd say your friends are in the 1% club flo

I was thinking more of  the time wasted coaching the player (although I accept that's done mainly at clubs) before he changes international team, and of the more committed who lose out as a result (although even at youth levels you want to field as strong a side as possible)
Aye, I mentioned the minority in my own previous post. This is accepted by everybody, so there's no need for a succession of people on here to say anecdotally 'all my nationalist friends/relatives/ colleagues who like football support the South'.

Originally posted by drogaddict drogaddict wrote:

Devout Roman Catholics 😂😂😂😂, ah Heyor!! What's their favourite soup??

Off it for Lent when we met for a lemonade last week ;)

How come players like McGinn, Ferguson, McCourt etc play for the North when it goes against everything they were brought up with?

Reasons include,

1) It doesn't necessarily contradict everything: not everyone in the NI nationalist or any other community is equally hardcore
2) as Peter mentioned, rational choice to boost their own career. Particulaarly in the last couple of seasons where the NI team manages to be both easier to break into and (however temporarily) better
3) unwillingness to face criticism (again as above, although this may be overstated as players moving becomes more commonplace)

Originally posted by PeterBelfast PeterBelfast wrote:

i made no claim that my experience proves anything 100%

Apologies if I read too much into you detailing that experience. 

Quote I  would occasionally go to cliftonville games and against certain sides their fans like to display uvf flags, parachuite regiments flags etc. These are the same boys that follow N.I and i am upset that i have to share the earth with them, so no  way would i share a ground with them

Disappointing that you seem to base your opinion of most/ all NI fans on a few wannabe paramilitaries at Irish League games. I've managed to steer clear of them in 40 years of watching local football (I went to Cliftonville Primary School near the ground).

Quote i would never support them and will not be bringing my children up to support them either, the cycle will continue

Your choice, of course. But can you be sure the next generation will share your hardcore attitude. "I am upset that I have to share the Earth with them" probably wouldn't be welcome at the now integrated Cliftonville PS ;)

Originally posted by Roverstilllidie Roverstilllidie wrote:

If our PUL chums had a strategic bone in their body they would tolerate this. We now have a de facto United Irish side, which takes pressure off the IFA to be subsumed into the FAI. Let players choose, but yes, I can see the frustration when they wait until they are 20 to do so

We're a bit more strategic than you suggest. The IFA and FAI actually have a decent working relationship however much many of our fans criticise it. There was a recent friendly, a pre-Euros camp in the South is planned, coaches co-operate at all levels etc.

You've always had a united Ireland side in principle, I agree it's now more widely recognised in practice. Which makes it the more disappointing that so many of your fans still want a separate NI side not to exist. That's just ingrained bias tending to bigotry, don't ye think? Especially as there's no likelihood of a united Ireland in the foreseeable, as no doubt Enda, MeHole and even Mary Lou will agree off-camera before and after tomorrow's poll.

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

But, how many players that have changed to our team, have played under age games for Norn Iron?

McClean, Duffy and O'Kane played for NI u-21.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2016 at 2:24pm
There is no doubt that today the vast majority of the nationalist/RC population of NI support the Republic.  

Indeed I would think that northerners now make up proportionally more of our support than those from south of the border.  If you assume approx 4 million in the RoI and 600K nationalists in NI i reckon more than 13% of the regular support is now from NI.  I'm not basing this on any research or facts just an observation and opinion. 

This has come from a very low base.  In the 1980's there were 3-4 Cliftonville lads who went to games but otherwise support from north of the border was virtually unknown.  It grew in the 1990's.  In many ways it has followed the case of players born in NI playing for the Republic which has mainly been in the past twenty years (I realise there were players in the 1930's and 1946).  

In the 1980's I knew quite a few people through football in NI and it was virtually unheard of for anyone north of the border to support the RoI as a first team.  I know of people who have switched allegiances but I still know nationalists who still support NI and still go regularly to games.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 14>
  Share Topic