You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rep of Irl WNT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 143>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 8:54am
Tough draw but sure we're used to tough.....
Australia
Ireland
Nigeria 
Canada
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 8:58am
Not as bad as it could have been, not as good as it could have been - Canada one of the worst second seeds to draw, Australia one of the best first seeds to draw. Nigeria poor enough I think. At least we missed Portugal from pot 4, they got the worst group. We won't be expected to qualify from that group but it's not a complete no-hoper either, will probably have to get something from the first game against Australia to have a chance.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 1:42pm
I wouldn't be overly bothered about the tough group aspect. I reckon Irish teams often play far better as underdogs.....the potential banana skin matches for us are games where we are expected to win.

I think we can take a point off Australia at least. Opening matches for the hosts are often tricky affairs and it can take a while for a host team to get going - plus probably half the stadium will be Irish.

I'm glad we missed New Zealand as well. Lovely country and people, but it would probably be freezing there in July. Perth for example can hit 30C at that time of year.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 2:01pm
I always thought Perth wouldn't be that hot during June, July and August? Had always assumed it would be 16 / 18 degrees during their winters  
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by Roberto_Carlow Roberto_Carlow wrote:

I always thought Perth wouldn't be that hot during June, July and August? Had always assumed it would be 16 / 18 degrees during their winters  

Actually, I think you're right....30C would be way too high at that time of year, it's probably more around the 18C mark.

As I said, we're probably fortunate we avoided NZ....their winter would be similar to ours. Also, there are far more Irish in Oz.
Roberto_Carlow View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto_Carlow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 2:38pm
Some of the games during the 2010 South Africa and 2014 Brazil World Cups were ridiculous with the weather being so cold. Just doesn't feel right for a tournament. Luckily Australia in the winter doesnt seem too bad so the conditions should work out well.

New Zealand just seems like a place that is never warm, although I've never been down to that part of the world so have no experience of it. 

We should get some decent support down there which is a big plus.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2022 at 3:17pm
One issue with the opening game will be stadium capacity. 42,500 for the opening game with the hosts at the Sydney Football Stadium (aka Allianz Stadium). Surprised they havn't opted for a larger venue.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2022 at 3:02pm
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 8:23am
All game confirmed for 8pm Kick Offs local time.
Thurs 20th - Ire V Aus Sydney 10am.
Wed 26th - Ire V Canada Perth 1pm.
Mon 21st - Ire V Nigeria Brisbane 11am.

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 1:43pm
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2022 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

I think the Australia game is 11am in fact Irish time.

Those times are not bad at all from the Irish perspective - had we been in NZ, we could have seen very early kick offs for some of the matches, some around 6am.
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 9:57am
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by wicklowrunner wicklowrunner wrote:

I think the Australia game is 11am in fact Irish time.

Those times are not bad at all from the Irish perspective - had we been in NZ, we could have seen very early kick offs for some of the matches, some around 6am.

Yeah, it is - https://savvytime.com/converter/australia-brisbane-to-ireland-dublin/jul-31-2023/8pm
The post in the calendar thread needs to be updated too
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2022 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by cwh2018 cwh2018 wrote:

I think this maybe the high point for the team, as we have a quite a few members of the team that may not even stick around for the next euros.  There does not seem to be the talent coming through after Mccabe and connolly with a 5 to 6 year gap in age, Payne the only really young regular at the moment.

Caldwell, Fahy and O'Gorman won't be around for the next world cup and Louise QUinn probably won't be either. Megan Campbell would be questionable with her injuries as well. 

The world cup will be the the end of the journey for many.

Nah, the age profile is good. Only 6 players called up in the last year are over 30:
Fahey (35)
Caldwell (34)
O'Gorman (33, squad player)
Roche (33, fringe player)
Quinn (32)
Littlejohn (32)

Only Fahey & Caldwell will probably call it a day. Quinn & Littlejohn will have another campaign in them, they know we have a very good chance at qualifying for the Euros.

Campbell (29), Agg (29), Lucy Quinn (29), O'Sullivan (28), McCabe (27), Barrett (26), Connolly (25) will all be around a long time yet.

Finn (24), Payne (22), Kiernan (23), still improving.
Ziu is only 20 and was starting to establish herself in the starting XI before the injury.

Others have pointed out Molloy, Stapleton & Larkin coming through from the U19s.

On top of that, the fact we've now qualified for a major tournament (and are growing with a good chance of continuing that for future tournaments) will have a lot of eligible players coming out of the woodwork. Pauw said the other day she's already had a lot of players in contact.
And not just from England (like the mens game historically). Womens football is huge in the States, and there's a huge Irish diaspora there. Australia & Canada too.

This is all on an upward trajectory for us.

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 1:42am
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2022 at 9:56pm
Slightly off topic but good to see the rte giving priority to Shels claiming the WNL Title today at Ferrycarraig Park on 9o clock news ahead of all the pl stuff........
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 6:24pm
Tickets back on sale for Australia game.  Cat 2 and Alcohol free cat 3 only available now. 

Strange those "Alcohol Free" tickets aren't so popular.  Wink
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2022 at 10:10pm
Hopefully those Australia tickets will still be available if I have no luck with the Ireland access code tomorrow.
wicklowrunner View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wicklowrunner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2022 at 7:48am
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

Hopefully those Australia tickets will still be available if I have no luck with the Ireland access code tomorrow.
Still haven’t received my code from FAI.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6869707172 143>
  Share Topic