You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Away days + World Cup 2022 Accommodation and Travel
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ROI v Belgium, Bordeaux, General Thread
    Posted: 20 Jun 2016 at 6:10pm
Blog on Belgian disappointment for anyone interested. Up to Lille tomorrow in hope rather than expectation...

http://afalsefirstxi.blogspot.fr/2016/06/bordeaux-bordeaunt-more-like.html?m=1
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Sponsored Links

Mickeymac View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mickeymac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 9:39am
Flying into Paris this afternoon and booked on train from Montparnasse to Bordeaux at 7:20 but think I should be there much earlier now. There's 2 other trains 1 hour beforehand and wondering is it possible to get on another train on same route or do you have to stick to time you booked. Its a flexi ticket I booked.
Help much appreciated.
johnp30133 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote johnp30133 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2016 at 1:35am
Originally posted by Hoosay Hoosay wrote:

Looks like the Welsh had no problems drinking outdoors.

Defo no probs drinking on the streets tonight. Was rocking, if a little messy, around the Connemara bar. Police were dead sound.
Muinteoir View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muinteoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by abbeyroad abbeyroad wrote:

On the 1800 flight from Dublin into Bordeaux tomorrow night. Anyone know the area and the best way of getting to the city. Will probably go straight to the Connemara pub. Thanks

I'm on this too. My hotel is in the city centre and they told me to get the line 1 bus to some name that escapes my mind and then walk the short distance from there. Can't wait!!
abbeyroad View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote abbeyroad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2016 at 6:53pm
On the 1800 flight from Dublin into Bordeaux tomorrow night. Anyone know the area and the best way of getting to the city. Will probably go straight to the Connemara pub. Thanks
Spoofer13 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spoofer13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 4:01pm
Had a look on twitter. It seems the Welsh fans are having no problems drinking on the street and merging in big crowds outside pubs etc. They seemed to be partying well into the night with no hassle too.

I reckon the cops will play it by ear. If fans behave themselves like the Welsh do and we will do there will be no hassle. 
Muinteoir View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Muinteoir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:59pm

Where did you see it?
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:43pm
Charlie chase View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlie chase Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 4:33am
Quick question..is there a bus goin from La Rochelle on the day of the game??
Butthead View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butthead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 10:03pm
The Connemara looks great, they have a pic on their website of the Hearts fans filling up the streets outside. Also looks like there might be poles & even buildings for hanging the massive flags off. Watching the other matches would be out of the question though which is a bummer. Unless the Blarney Stone blocks the street outside it won't be able to handle the numbers I wouldn't say. Still, Place de la Victoire looks quality & has loads of bars round the outside you could deffo catch the matches in (through the windows while sipping on cans), not sure where the flags could hang though.

Tough call, they both look great!

Edited by Butthead - 10 Jun 2016 at 10:05pm
"I always likened him to a Rolls Royce. You just used him once a week & he'd be flawless"

Townsend on McGrath
dereek View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dereek Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 6:28pm
SOS, I was all set to fly out this weekend but last week I suffered a detached retina and cant fly or drive for 4/5 weeks, however i have been told by my Doctor that I could travel mid week by ferry as a foot passanger, at this stage I can get a ferry Wednesday Evening from Rosslare  with Irish ferries or Thursday evening with stena line, is there anybody traveling on these ferries with a space in a car or Camper that would give me a lift to Bordeaux, Im sorted after that as I can meet up with the rest of my group, Trains times are very tight and  dont look a good option, I will gladly pay my way fuel etc. if you can or know somebody who can help it would make a seasoned supporter very happy.
Thank you 
Derek Lynch
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Is there anything official that is available to read in English about this? 
Do a search on Newsdirectory2.com Bordeaux Drinking Ban during euros.

Two different bodies - In summary

1. No spirit sales between 8pm and 8am
2. No public drinking between 11pm and 7am - designed to keep you indoors
3. From midnight 17th June until 8am on 19th June - no drinking outside pubs or in certain areas of the city including Bordeaux City Centre, outside Fan Zones etc. - designed to keep you indoors

To me it looks as though its coming from the publicans/rest. owners/hoteliers to ensure that if your drinking then you'll be drinking at €6/€7 a pint from them and not at €1 a can from Lidl or Carrefour. The public safety issue is a red herring.
That's no too bad. I can drink can's until 22:59, go back to the hotel for some kip and start drinking cans again at 07:01. Clap
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

Do a search on Newsdirectory2.com Bordeaux Drinking Ban during euros.

Two different bodies - In summary

1. No spirit sales between 8pm and 8am
2. No public drinking between 11pm and 7am - designed to keep you indoors
3. From midnight 17th June until 8am on 19th June - no drinking outside pubs or in certain areas of the city including Bordeaux City Centre, outside Fan Zones etc. - designed to keep you indoors

To me it looks as though its coming from the publicans/rest. owners/hoteliers to ensure that if your drinking then you'll be drinking at €6/€7 a pint from them and not at €1 a can from Lidl or Carrefour. The public safety issue is a red herring.
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by PhilliyK PhilliyK wrote:

Someone would wanna tell Frank in the Connemara pub about this    man has permission for outside drinking from the city

The whole thing is a bit unclear. If a pub has a designated outside area, which I assume your pal Frank does then presumably that's OK, it's lads sitting in the middle of a square with a bag of cans that they're going after I would guess. 

We'll see tonight and tomorrow what goes on with the Welsh.
PhilliyK View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Granny Grabber

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhilliyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 12:13pm
Someone would wanna tell Frank in the Connemara pub about this    man has permission for outside drinking from the city
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:27am
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Hoosay View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hoosay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 11:07am
Probably.

As you said there's two different authorities issuing differet rules, so it's possible the two press releases had different formats and nobody checked it.

The official announcement about match day restrictions and the sale of spirits is here

Can't find anything about the 11-7 restriction on the Bordeaux official site or the torusit site. 
Seanachie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seanachie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2016 at 10:55am

Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Originally posted by HampshireDub HampshireDub wrote:

Originally posted by Seanachie Seanachie wrote:

Bad news. Bordeaux has banned street drinking during the Euros. There will be no drinking allowed outside of bars and the fanzone between the hours of 11am and 7am (I am guessing bars aren't open for the other four hours.

Drinking on the street will also be banned in the vicinity of the airport, the station, the stadium and the fanzone from midnight the night before the match till 8am the next day (in Ireland's case, that means from the night of the 17th till the morning of the 19th). If the overlap between those two bans seems strange, it's because they were issued by two separate authorities.

Again I'm slightly confused here ? Shall I just start sipping tins now ?

There is also a ban on serving drink in glasses, only plastic, paper or metal cups will be allowed instead, which looks like it might contradict the street-drinking ban.

Finally, the sale of alcohol stronger than 20% is prohibited between the hours of 8pm and 8am. Wine and beer will still be available for sale but will have to be drunk at home.

http://www.sudouest.fr/2016/06/08/alcool-dans-la-rue-la-gironde-et-bordeaux-au-regime-sec-pendant-l-euro-2016-2392859-2780.php

Do you mean between 7am and 11am ? Otherwise it implies a total ban does it not ?

Correct it's essentially a complete ban on street drinking.

That link says between '11 heures and 7 heures', which sort of threw me, because the French only ever use the 24-hour clock. 11pm looks more likely. It doesn't surprise me in Bordeaux, which is a fairly bourgeois city. Still, hard to see how it'll be enforced, and we'll have to see how things go for the Welsh (and the Austrians) ahead of us. 

Yeah 11pm is a bit less ridiculous, but weird that they didn't say 23h.

We'll know how effective it is soon enough, Wales play there tomorrow right?

Although, in the rest of the article it uses 24h clock, e.g. when talking about the spirit ban it says entre 20h et 8h.

I'm sure that paper, like many others in the world, is now labouring without sub-editors to catch things like that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 19>
  Share Topic