You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum O Dowda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:02am
People are totally getting their knickers in a twist here for the wrong reason. It's great that MON is looking to get young lads involved with the senior team early. O'Dowda won't be near the final 23. But he's probably been the standout u-21 player over the last year, including Byrne. He will move up the leagues and become a senior international for us.

There is absolutely an argument to me that Byrne should be their too, not instead, of O'Dowda.
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Sponsored Links

pinkfloyd2016 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I know nothing about EPL clubs after him but his move to Derby fell through in January and I know Celtic were watching him. I am sure a quick google of his name and both clubs should show something up.

And what makes you think he would make it at Derby. If he can't get a first team place with a league 2 side how is going to make it at Derby . 

The way I see it is O' Dowda is 21 . He will be playing league one football next season . If he is too make it to the premier league . He s going to have to start getting first team football and seriously tearing up the league . This guy isn't some youth prospect from liverpool or arsenal who was loaned out to a league 2 team . He is a league 2 player . None of the top scouts rated him . The chances of him ever becoming a premier league player are very slim.
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:17am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

People are totally getting their knickers in a twist here for the wrong reason. It's great that MON is looking to get young lads involved with the senior team early. O'Dowda won't be near the final 23. But he's probably been the standout u-21 player over the last year, including Byrne. He will move up the leagues and become a senior international for us.

There is absolutely an argument to me that Byrne should be their too, not instead, of O'Dowda.

What makes you so sure he will move up the leagues. Ward Prowse and Ravel Morrison were both stand out u21's for England . They are both rotting on the bench for their teams now. So was Jack Grealish and he in my opinion is a far more talented player than O' Dowd.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:17am
Ok, but even if Cambuur were a worse team than Oxford (I don'tbelieve for a second they are btw), surely you have to take into account the quality of opposition they're playing against each week and not just the quality of their own team? I mean Ajax, PSV,Feyenoord, Twente, Alkmaar etc. are significantly better than any team O'Dowda will have encountered in L2. Anyway, for what it's worth I would have picked both O'Dowda and Byrne for this squad, I'd have picked a whole raft of fringe players in fact as I think it's a great opportunity to do so in a relatively low pressure environment.
We're decent enough..
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinkfloyd2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:21am
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Ok, but even if Cambuur were a worse team than Oxford (I don'tbelieve for a second they are btw), surely you have to take into account the quality of opposition they're playing against each week and not just the quality of their own team? I mean Ajax, PSV,Feyenoord, Twente, Alkmaar etc. are significantly better than any team O'Dowda will have encountered in L2. Anyway, for what it's worth I would have picked both O'Dowda and Byrne for this squad, I'd have picked a whole raft of fringe players in fact as I think it's a great opportunity to do so in a relatively low pressure environment.

You are exactly right and it is a point that all the O Dowda cheerleaders choose to ignore.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:37am
Agreed, he played some decent sides, which is why a loan move to the Netherlands was good for him. Was far better to go there then a club of similar stature elsewhere; better at Cambuur than Kilmarnock or Accrington. I really want Byrne to do well, I am sure everyone on here does, I hope he gets a decent move next season. We need him to breakthrough next year. He is 20 now so next year is vital for him.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 1:53am
O'Neill is simply bringing the best of the under 21s up to train with the first team. He did it with Byrne and Browne, now he's doing it with O'Dowda. I don't know what people are sh*tting the bed about.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:15am
Originally posted by pinkfloyd2016 pinkfloyd2016 wrote:

Originally posted by Charlo Charlo wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.
Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.

Where is the evidence that there is bigger clubs watching him. There is more to the game than pace and control on the run. 
Been told so! Forrester too has 4 EPL clubs watching him every week!
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:25am
Originally posted by pinkfloyd2016 pinkfloyd2016 wrote:

Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

No, O'Dowda is in my opinion. Dele Ali was playing league 1 last season and Vardy was on a building site not that long ago, he'll not be in league 2 next season.
Having watched him for the U21s he has looked a cut above others in the squad and there are bigger clubs watching him. He has great pace and control on the run. Doubt he'd make the squad for the Euros but being included and probably be given a cap which will do no harm to his own prospects for a potential move.

Where is the evidence that there is bigger clubs watching him. There is more to the game than pace and control on the run. 
Just on the other aspect, I'm aware of what constitutes being a professional footballer and play at a good level which I guess you are hinting at?.....but what he has going for him is ability and certainly those two are some of his good points which are evident in his game if you were ever to go and watch him live......you would see this and in comparison to others playing in the game itself, his league or in leagues above him you will see that some players can't actually do it. A move to Derby fell through in January and he has signed an extension to his current deal.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 5:47am

+1 nail on the head!
Charlo View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Charlo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 6:22am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

+1 nail on the head!
Correct! The two of them along with Alan Browne are the pick of that bunch just now. Encouraging to have three promising players coming available. Striker and Left Back two areas where we need something to start coming through.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 7:44am
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

O'Neill is simply bringing the best of the under 21s up to train with the first team. He did it with Byrne and Browne, now he's doing it with O'Dowda. I don't know what people are sh*tting the bed about.

Well said
Andy_Eire View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy_Eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 8:15am

Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

+1 nail on the head!
Correct! The two of them along with Alan Browne are the pick of that bunch just now. Encouraging to have three promising players coming available. Striker and Left Back two areas where we need something to start coming through.
Courtney Duffus (PL u21 player of the month), Shane Lavery and Sam Bryne all of Everton are ones to look at
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

That is fine in so far as it goes, but I would argue that this is not the training squad to do it in.

But the reality is that if MON is now willing include players in England's 4th tier, and we are not talking about a player on loan there, it becomes difficult to justify not including a specific player in Hollands top flight and the best of the LoI, both of which are higher standards of football.

Its nothing personal against O'Dowda, best of luck to him, but he needs to be playing at a lot higher a level to be in the national setup.
Andy_Eire View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy_Eire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 2:53pm
League of Ireland isn't a better standard of football than League 2
roverstillidie View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Bohs number 1 fan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roverstillidie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by Andy_Eire Andy_Eire wrote:

But it is. There are some relatively big clubs down there in terms of Pompey, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers but I find it very hard to believe Dundalk, Rovers and Cork wouldn't be more than competitive against Newport, Crawley, York, Mansfield, Dagenham and the likes.

How many of our squad came through the LoI and how many every played in L2?
Peter1986 View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by roverstillidie roverstillidie wrote:

Originally posted by Andy_Eire Andy_Eire wrote:

But it is. There are some relatively big clubs down there in terms of Pompey, Plymouth and Bristol Rovers but I find it very hard to believe Dundalk, Rovers and Cork wouldn't be more than competitive against Newport, Crawley, York, Mansfield, Dagenham and the likes.

How many of our squad came through the LoI and how many every played in L2?

I agree I think loi is a higher standard than than l2 def the bigger clubs lik Dundalk and rovers would more than hold there own against l2 clubs.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2016 at 4:07pm
Is there ever not a LOI-angle to your posts RTID? It's hilariously desperate and repetive.

Who is there is the LOI under the age of 22 that has displayed more potential than O'Dowda? The answer is that there isn't anyone, hence why none of them were in contention for a call-up
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 31>
  Share Topic