Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Callum O Dowda

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 31>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 9:43pm
He's reportedly fell out with Johnson.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:11pm
Never quite seen what the fuss was about with him over the years on here

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 12 Feb 2020 at 10:11pm
Andrew00 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrew00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:14pm
Poor enough footballer. Never fulfilled the potential promise he showed years ago 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

What fuss? The lad clearly has talent, pointing that out hardly constituted "a fuss". I don't think there was ever anyone suggesting he was going to go on to win the Ballon d'or.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:36pm
He would be in the Kieran Westwood bracket for me
Over rated on YBIG
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:50pm
league one at best!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What fuss? The lad clearly has talent, pointing that out hardly constituted "a fuss". I don't think there was ever anyone suggesting he was going to go on to win the Ballon d'or.

Went back a few pages, just selecting one at random and low and behold I saw the following comments on one page alone:

He has to be in our starting XI

f**k me that’s a wonder goal, Messi like

Rumours of a move to the premier league very soon 

Not quite Ballon d’Or talk but he was compared to Messi

As I said, over rated on here, it’s nothing personal and I’m not saying he’s a terrible footballer by any means. Just an opinion 
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:00pm
Stood up a good cross for our goal of the year 2018 but apart from that has been entirely ineffective for us, not that alternative options have offered a lot more.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:11pm

Went back a few pages, just selecting one at random and low and behold I saw the following comments on one page alone:

As I said, over rated on here, it’s nothing personal and I’m not saying he’s a terrible footballer by any means. Just an opinion 

He clearly meant the goal was Messi like i.e. a goal you would expect to be seeing Messi scoring.

Not in any way comparing the actual player to Messi in terms of ability.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:13pm

That’s not comparing him to Messi, it is comparing a goal he scored to the type of thing Messi can do. There has no doubt been hyperbole about him, like many others, but is equally hyperbolic to claim he was compared to Messi.

He has certainly shown he has talent, just not often enough. There also seems to be regular rumours of him falling out with managers and the like. These may well be unfounded, of course, but they seem a bit consistent not to be worried about them.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:17pm
O'Dowda not being all action and being technically decent isn't suited to how Ireland anyhow, no wonder he's not overly effective when he see's action.

Maybe he will become an asset to the team once Kenny takes over, where you would imagine the very limited technical players will stop getting picked because they work hard and he will pluck more for the better and more technical players.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2020 at 11:21pm
I know I know
Just found it funny that O’Shea said no one said he’s going to win the Ballon D’Or on here (as if i suggested anyone said he would) and the first random page I go to on this thread Messi is being mentioned 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 7:46am
Disappointed how his career is panning out, had high hopes for him. 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 10:04am
I still believe there is a touch of class about him but he would want to get his arse in gear big time. Seems another one of those players that has fallen between two stools - i.e. Not quite a winger but not quite a forward. So many of those about.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2020 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

O'Dowda not being all action and being technically decent isn't suited to how Ireland anyhow, no wonder he's not overly effective when he see's action.

Maybe he will become an asset to the team once Kenny takes over, where you would imagine the very limited technical players will stop getting picked because they work hard and he will pluck more for the better and more technical players.

So, you rate O'Dowda highly in the technical department despite him being a bench-warmer at Bristol City. Can't blame his contract problems now or late nights listening to his grandad's 78s. Don't worry, GD,  Messiah Kenny will morph him into Messi.  

That doesn't really make sense, just because a player might be very good technically does not mean every aspect of their game is flawless or perfect, hence why he finds himself on the bench at Bristol City.

Wes Hoolahan a highly technically gifted player was often benched or subbed early when a manager wanted to fill a team with grit and hard work or he simply didn't fit the system.

O'Dowda isn't overly quick compared to Weimann or Eliasson who start out wide for Bristol City, he's not the most all action/hard working player in the world either ala not in the James McClean mould and his assist/goals ratio for Bristol City this season needs to improve big time.

I also said he's decent technically and overall he's a decent player with more potential than he's showing currently. I also never said he was the second coming of Pirlo or Xavi, nor would I expect "Messiah Kenny" to turn into him into a world class player Wink 

I merely think that if Kenny looks to play a more patient and controlled brand of possession based football, we might start seeing the best out of O'Dowda for Ireland.

"might"

Edited by Green Devil - 13 Feb 2020 at 1:37pm

Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 12:37pm
Playing here in what looks like a central two and not really affecting the match much to my eyes.
Not getting on the ball much and not breaking much down either. 

King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 1:16pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Playing here in what looks like a central two and not really affecting the match much to my eyes.
Not getting on the ball much and not breaking much down either. 

Probably a good way to describe his last few years!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 2:26pm
Did a lot of running, didn't see much possession. Bristol play a strange formation, not sure it suits the attacking players they have (ie Afobe stuck out on left, O'Dowda in centre mid, etc).
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2122232425 31>
  Share Topic