You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2627282930 31>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:40pm
They're getting six places in the World Cup come 2026.

The next South American team in, from the last qualifiers, to bring the 5 up to 6, would be Chile, reigning Copa America champions. They finished sixth in the CONCACAF qualifying group.

The next two European teams in, from the last qualifiers, to bring the 14 up to 16, would be four times World Champions Italy... and Northern Ireland. That's counting the sides who lost their playoffs most narrowly.
Sponsored Links

Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Nearly a third of their members have won the World Cup!

But that is in a far smaller pool of teams. And apart from Brazil, no other South American team has won the tournament in over 30 years.

I'd also wonder how some of the teams in South America would get on in a tough UEFA Qualification group.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:01pm
4 of the last 5 World Cups have been won by European sides. There's little comparison to be had with SA in truth, although they are comfortably the second strongest continent.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Nearly a third of their members have won the World Cup!

But that is in a far smaller pool of teams. And apart from Brazil, no other South American team has won the tournament in over 30 years.

I'd also wonder how some of the teams in South America would get on in a tough UEFA Qualification group.
I would also wonder how European teams would fair in South American qualifying. I would be pretty confident that Chile would have qualified were they based in Europe.
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:16pm

I would also wonder how European teams would fair in South American qualifying. I would be pretty confident that Chile would have qualified were they based in Europe.

Sure, and that is a fair point. But I get the impression that Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay are cyclical, and are not consistent like Brazil and Argentina in producing the type of player that can consistently dominate World Football. The likes of Ecuador and Peru are generally weak, and probably wouldnt last the pace in Europe, and the likes of Bolivia and Venezuela certainly wouldnt. I think South American performance in a European setup would depend heavily on how good the Chile's and Colombia's of the World would be at the time.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:19pm
Just reading it now, North America still gets the same amount of teams so makes no odds, they'd have had 6 either way, just 3 now qualify directly
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:22pm
Europe have been weak IMO.
They currently have 13/32 which is approx 40%

They should have demanded 40% of the increase.

Okay SA have strong teams but the others sections are much weaker than some of the European teams sitting at home.

Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Sure, and that is a fair point. But I get the impression that Chile, Colombia, Paraguay and Uruguay are cyclical, and are not consistent like Brazil and Argentina in producing the type of player that can consistently dominate World Football. The likes of Ecuador and Peru are generally weak, and probably wouldnt last the pace in Europe, and the likes of Bolivia and Venezuela certainly wouldnt. I think South American performance in a European setup would depend heavily on how good the Chile's and Colombia's of the World would be at the time.

Qualification is almost certainly harder from SA in fairness.

Still, having said that the likes of the Netherlands and Italy couldn't make it through UEFA qualifying for the current World Cup.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Okay SA have strong teams but the others sections are much weaker than some of the European teams sitting at home.

Every expansion of the World Cup has been about buying votes from smaller Asian and African federations. The last expansion is no different.
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:26pm
Does Oceania (i.e. New Zealand if we're being honest) get an automatic berth as a result of this  ?
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:33pm
Oh they have a proposed match schedule. Only six of the sixteen groups are all in the US.

However, of the 45 teams who aren't the US, Canada and Mexico, 22 will have group games solely in the US, and 1 will have games solely in Mexico.

You'd have to hope to be among those teams.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Does Oceania (i.e. New Zealand if we're being honest) get an automatic berth as a result of this  ?

Yes
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Qualification is almost certainly harder from SA in fairness.

Still, having said that the likes of the Netherlands and Italy couldn't make it through UEFA qualifying for the current World Cup.

I'd agree. There is very little room to underperform, and apart from Brazil, most countries, including Argentina have had anxious waits to make sure they attended previous tournaments.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:46pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

Yes

So NZ (with all due respect to the other Oceania teams)  now have  defacto automatic qualification for the WC from 2026 LOL

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Jun 2018 at 2:46pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 2:55pm

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Every expansion of the World Cup has been about buying votes from smaller Asian and African federations. The last expansion is no different.

True but Europe have the most teams already for a very good reason. They have basically given away 3 places.

One of those could be Ireland SD. You need to be angry about this.

Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:00pm

Yes

So NZ (with all due respect to the other Oceania teams)  now have  defacto automatic qualification for the WC from 2026 LOL

Could have more too. This is interesting -

Play-off tournament

A play-off tournament involving six teams will be held to decide the last two FIFA World Cup berths, consisting of one team per confederation (except for UEFA) and one additional team from the confederation of the host country.

Two of the teams will be seeded based on the FIFA World Rankings, and the seeded teams will play for a FIFA World Cup berth against the winners of the first two knockout games involving the four unseeded teams.

The tournament is to be played in the host country(ies) and to be used as a test event for the FIFA World Cup. The existing play-off window of November 2025 has been suggested as a tentative date for the 2026 edition.

Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:10pm
Given the time of year that Mini Tournament can only really be held in California,Texas ,Florida or Mexico 

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 3:25pm
Potential stadium venue capacities

LA.................92,000
New York.......82,500
Washington....82,000
Dallas............80,000
Kansas..........76,000
Denver...........76,000
Houston.........71,000
Baltimore........71,000
Atlanta.............71,000
Philadelphia.....69,000
Seattle.............69,000