Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 31>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:24pm
16 teams from Europe which is a third of the places 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

Flanno7hi View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flanno7hi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:25pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I like America hosting it but 3 teams automatically qualifying is a joke.

That's not been confirmed I don't think but it's no different to 2002 either way

Well it is. 2 is a bit much but 3 is taking the piss.  

Thats the only way we will qualify for World Cups. Hosting it with about 4 other countries!

It was 3 in 2002 as France qualified as reigning champions, which no longer applies.
Our City. Our Community. Our Club
IG @flanno_7hi
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:26pm

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

I like America hosting it but 3 teams automatically qualifying is a joke.

That's not been confirmed I don't think but it's no different to 2002 either way

Well it is. 2 is a bit much but 3 is taking the piss.  

Thats the only way we will qualify for World Cups. Hosting it with about 4 other countries!

It's exactly the same, 1 automatic entry for every 16 teams, Mexico and USA likely would have qualified anyway so it's only Canada getting in.
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:27pm
Good decision. The stadium capacities will be huge meaning more fans then ever attending. No more Iceland vs Argentina in a 40k stadium or like the euroe Ireland v Belgium or England v Wales in small stadia.

I'm sure it will be an expensive trip so if you're going book everything as early as possible. Travel from Europe to NA should be cheaper by then too. 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Not enough when you consider Europe has 50 good teams and is the strongest continent by a million miles.  3 extra spots when they are allowing 16 more teams in is a joke.  6 would have been acceptable.  I am very much against a 48 team world cup anyway. 

What are the host cities for 2026?
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:29pm
it'll be a mess... usa 94 was too much travelling in the air.. airports etc....
morocco easier for fans... but fans of the teams  aren't catered for anymore........would all of Europe and Africa not have voted for morocco...
Come on Irelind
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

it'll be a mess... usa 94 was too much travelling in the air.. airports etc....
morocco easier for fans... but fans of the teams  aren't catered for anymore........would all of Europe and Africa not have voted for morocco...

African vote was split and Europe would have been similar .

Correct decision made at the end of the day for me. Majority of those stadia are in place already 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Jun 2018 at 12:33pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:38pm
Originally posted by eireland eireland wrote:

Good decision. The stadium capacities will be huge meaning more fans then ever attending. No more Iceland vs Argentina in a 40k stadium or like the euroe Ireland v Belgium or England v Wales in small stadia.

I'm sure it will be an expensive trip so if you're going book everything as early as possible. Travel from Europe to NA should be cheaper by then too. 

Every stadium will have 60,000 or more, at least in the USA.

They plan to have seven group matches in each of the other countries, two round of 32 matches and one round of 16 match. That's 14 out of 72, 4 out of 16 and 2 out of 32.

Everything going to plan, you'd like to think you'd avoid the other countries, especially given that Mexico and Canada will play in 3 of those games in each group... they'll have to be at home for all their group games.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

They plan to have seven group matches in each of the other countries, two round of 32 matches and one round of 16 match. That's 14 out of 72, 4 out of 16 and 2 out of 32.

Everything going to plan, you'd like to think you'd avoid the other countries, especially given that Mexico and Canada will play in 3 of those games in each group... they'll have to be at home for all their group games.

2 games.  It's groups of 3 proposed 

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:49pm
Canada & Mexico will only have 10 games each, the rest being  in the US apparently 
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 12:54pm

Not enough when you consider Europe has 50 good teams and is the strongest continent by a million miles.  3 extra spots when they are allowing 16 more teams in is a joke.  6 would have been acceptable.  I am very much against a 48 team world cup anyway. 

South America is stronger than Europe
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:03pm
Sepp Blatter pretending in his own mind he's still President of FIFA and then predicting Morocco would get it. Embarrassed

Will having 16 European teams there mean 8 groups with the top 2 automatically qualifying and no play offs?

All the effort to qualify, hype and preparation, travelling that distance and then potentially only having 2 games seems like a real damp squib.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 13 Jun 2018 at 1:07pm
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:04pm
I'd have preferred Morrocco. Would have been easier to get to and get around, and also easier for watching on the couch from Ireland
Shoco View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Hail Hail the Celts are here

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:06pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Not according to the bookies

YOUR 3 IN A ROW LEAGUE CHAMPIONS
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

easier for watching on the couch from Ireland

Nope. Most of the matches would be on during the working day. Last WC was great because you could still watch most if not all of the games live after work Clap

Edited by Denis Irwin - 13 Jun 2018 at 1:11pm

Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:15pm

No its not. 
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:18pm

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

2 games.  It's groups of 3 proposed 

Oh yeah, forgot about that. At least it'll make it easier to plan than the nonsense of 3rd placed teams having a heap of potential second round venues. A choice of two rather than four potential second round venues makes transport a lot handier.

You'd like to hope that the third game in the Mexico group will be in Mexico and the same in Canada, and that the other four games are sort of close. Like the other Mexico games should be in groups with games in Texas.

Although having said all that, Edmonton is about 1,000 miles from anywhere, so there's little to be done there.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2018 at 1:32pm

No its not. 
Nearly a third of their members have won the World Cup!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2526272829 31>
  Share Topic