Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup Expansion to 40 no, 48 teams
    Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 10:44am
Being proposed at today's FIFA meeting.

Would be more teams from Asia,Africa and Concacaf

If they're doing that though they'd surely have to give a full spot to Oceiana
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Sponsored Links

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:12am
It would be a disaster IMO. Perfect set up with 32 teams at the moment. Changing the split from 32-16-8-4-2 is ridiculous.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:20am
I don't necessarily disagree with the expansion but Europe should get 3 additional places at least if they were to do that. Asia already have too many;

CONCACAF 2
EUROPE 3
CAF 1
CONMEBOL 1
AFC 1/2 or 1
OFC 1/2 or 0

Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:24am
Wacko
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:24am
Yeah, not a massive fan of this idea to be honest.

It will be interesting however to see how the Euros goes next summer with that expansion. If the play-offs are anything to go by the obvious worry would be that the standard is being diluted a fair bit.
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:26am
Also, this has come 16 years too late for us to be the 33rd team!
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:40am
Great idea and ive been saying for ages this is needed. A 32 team event is quite small really.

What I dont agree with is reports of 32 extra matches. No need for that many.

Instead: 10 groups of 4. The ten group winners and the 6 best 2nd places go through to the knock out. Thats just 24 extra matches, and expands the tournament by 6 days.
Only comes round every 4 years, I'd gladly take an extra 6 days. And the extra week wont inconvenience ppl too much, given its not happening every season.

Europe should be entitled to at least two of the extra places. Can see Europe getting maybe just one. Even still, increases our chance of qualifying.

Very positive development, this, for a proper festival of football.

Theres 24 teams in the Euros; 32 in the world cup from 206 nations is paltry.

Theres even 20 teams in the rugby world cup. The football world cup should be dwarfing that event. Will easily find 8 extra teams who are competitive.

Edited by rolo - 03 Dec 2015 at 11:42am
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:47am
Originally posted by Devrozex Devrozex wrote:

Also, this has come 16 years too late for us to be the 33rd team!
Cry

Nonetheless, I think it's a ridiculous idea, it's grand the way it is. I'd imagine they'd still have 8 groups with the top 2 going through to the knockout stages but imagine the fixture headache that would be in store in the group stages, they're busy enough as it is with 3 games per day nearly every day until the last round of games (2 x day).

That's another thing, by the way. If they set it up with 5 teams per group, you're going to be left with 1 team with no game on the last day having played their last game a few days earlier leaving the other teams with an advantage of knowing what's needed ahead of their final games. Another Anschluss on our hands possibly?

As I said, it's a ridiculous idea, just asking for needless problems. If it ain't broke...

Saddest thing though, is that money is probably not so much talking but roaring from the rooftops. Thumbs Down 

The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 11:59am
Stupid idea.

Like a 24 team Euros. Stupid.

Should be LESS teams from outside Europe/SA not more.

What do they do there, apart from beat Scotland ?

How many have made the Quarter Finals (without bribing referees) over the years ?

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
seanyshuffler View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
PM snitch

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seanyshuffler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:01pm

Increasing the size of both the Euros and World Cup are terrible ideas in my opinion. Dilutes the prestige of the tournament.

FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by seanyshuffler seanyshuffler wrote:

Increasing the size of both the Euros and World Cup are terrible ideas in my opinion. Dilutes the prestige of the tournament.

I agree. As glad as I am that we got into Euro 2016 because it went from 16 to 24, I'd prefer if the tournament was only 16 teams.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:17pm
People hate change. Thats all.

Id say ppl were complaining when the world cup was expanded from 24 to 32 teams
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
AnCearrbhach View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnCearrbhach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:20pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I agree. As glad as I am that we got into Euro 2016 because it went from 16 to 24, I'd prefer if the tournament was only 16 teams.

16 Team Euros was tougher than the WC though, 24 gives a good mix some big teams missed out and some smaller teams got in. I'm expecting a great tournament even if I would have structured it differently.
Aithníonn ciaróg ciaróg eile.
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:33pm
Split on this, it is a world cup after all and we have way more than our fair share of spots on most criteria, what harm is it really if the likes of afcon winners zambia get in? Does a 14th european deserve to get in over an 8th African Team? I would have thought not
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

People hate change. Thats all.

Id say ppl were complaining when the world cup was expanded from 24 to 32 teams
Think of it this way Rolo 53 teams were in the Euro's and 24 teams will be in France .
That's close to half even I think it's a bit daft so many teams are there .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

I think the world cup is grand at 32. There is a lot of games already and I don't think more games will make it any better.

I think 24 Euro teams is a good thing as it was nearly as hard to get to the Euro's (16 teams) as to get to the WC (13) and it should be easier to get to your continents football competition. Maybe it was too early to adopt it as the standard will be diluted but in 8/12 years the standard will be better. 
All the teams that qualified for the Euro's are in the top 40 in the world.

gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:04pm

We wouldn't be going to France only for the expanded Euros.  We are definitely one of the countries that will continue to benefit from the 8 extra places.  We won't qualify every time but our chances will be significantly higher whereas the likes of Germany, Spain etc will qualify almost every time anyway.  

A World Cup is much harder to get to.  Even 1 or 2  extra places for UEFA will help.   
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2015 at 2:23pm
I dunno. It cheapens the achievement of qualifying. Leave it at 32 and should have left it as 16 for the Euros.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 31>
  Share Topic