You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 190>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 1:09am
Whatever about the Brits being told not to do it and doing it anyway, being charged over fans wearing poppies is madness.
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

the_walls View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
6 in a row, alive alive oh..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote the_walls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:25am
Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Whatever about the Brits being told not to do it and doing it anyway, being charged over fans wearing poppies is madness.

Madness is right and it would be a ridiculous precedent to set.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 9:40am
Originally posted by the_walls the_walls wrote:

Originally posted by OnTheOneRoad OnTheOneRoad wrote:

Madness is right and it would be a ridiculous precedent to set.

But a brilliant one at that
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Fanny MaGee View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fanny MaGee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Nov 2016 at 10:44am
Originally posted by musicinmouth musicinmouth wrote:

Wales don't have many points to deduct. 🙊

True. Deduct them anyway!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 1:15pm
Was just going over a few permutations and it's looking very likely it's effectively between us and Serbia. GD will work against us imo but it's very possible we can beat Serbia to 1st by only winning 2 and drawing 4 games thus finishing on 20 points.  

Wales, Serbia & Austria at home = 3 points
Moldova & Georgia = 6 points
Wales away = 1 point.

My initial permutation was Serbia finishing on 22 points.

Georgia away  3 pts
Wales Home    3 pts
Moldova          3pts
Austria            1pts
Ireland            1pts
Georgia           3pts

We would need 2 out of these 3 possible results regarding Serbia  to knock them off 22 points which are very possible:

Draw at home to Wales
           or/and
Lose away to Austria
           or/and
Draw away to Georgia

More likely they'll drop points to Austria & Wales than Georgia & Wales/Austria. This would leave them on 19 points.

The most likely points total I came up with was 18 points for Austria & 17 points for Wales providing they draw twice with us.

As long as we don't lose at home to Wales in March, we have to hope they draw away to Serbia or even a win though a draw would be better. I think Serbia will still beat them mind.

Edited by irishmufc - 16 Dec 2016 at 1:17pm
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 5:06pm
2 years ago we were in a similar position with Poland and Scotland to come at home remember 3rd got us play off we drew both what saved us was Georgia beating Scotland. Wales anything can happen. I think out fate will be decided in September
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 6:15pm
2 years ago the team was in a different place mentally. The belief they have acquired since then was one of the main reasons why the team has had so many fantastic results.

The outlook is fundamentally different this time...and in a positive way.

Btw what saved us last time wasn't just Georgia beating Scotland (an excellent result but was always a potential banana skin for Germany, Scotland, Poland and Ireland) but also the far more remarkable achievement of Ireland beating the reigning world champions.

Edited by colemanY2K - 16 Dec 2016 at 6:16pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Missy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Missy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 7:24pm
I agree with you that we took care of business while Scotland did not.
LR is no longer a fortress where we can say 10 points from remaining 4 home game are guaranteed.
We all know how hard we find it to beat Georgia one could say that they are over due a result against us.

We are not halfway through our group and it will be full of twists n turns. I will be happy if we have something to play for come next October.
irelandfan View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irelandfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2016 at 11:47pm
Originally posted by Missy Missy wrote:

2 years ago we were in a similar position with Poland and Scotland to come at home remember 3rd got us play off we drew both what saved us was Georgia beating Scotland. Wales anything can happen. I think out fate will be decided in September

2 years ago we were destroyed in Glasgow we let a mediocre Scottish side kill us in midfield literally Hendrick and Gibson looked like amateurs. A lot has changed since then beating Germany,Bosnia, Italy and Austria. We are no where near qualified but in a far better position than in 2014. 
I'm the gaffer whatever I say goes.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

2 years ago the team was in a different place mentally. The belief they have acquired since then was one of the main reasons why the team has had so many fantastic results.

The outlook is fundamentally different this time...and in a positive way.

Btw what saved us last time wasn't just Georgia beating Scotland (an excellent result but was always a potential banana skin for Germany, Scotland, Poland and Ireland) but also the far more remarkable achievement of Ireland beating the reigning world champions.

Yes indeed, we played like a team who were unsure of ourselves in the two games against Scotland and the home one against Poland. The win over Germany was a game changer, we had the monkey off our backs and the realisation we could actually win matches against good teams.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2016 at 3:03pm
Mentally we are a lot stronger now. The huge wins against Germany and Italy have given the team and management confidence.

A lot of ball to be played but I really can't see us finishing outside the top 2 now.
The only thing that will stop us getting first will be too many draws.

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:33pm
What are the chances lads of Georgia taking points of Serbia in March.

Would be great if the Georgians could even hold them to a draw.

Probably a 2-1 win for Serbia

Edited by irishmufc - 27 Jan 2017 at 6:33pm
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:43pm
Can never write them off but I think this one will be a step too far for them. 

However I can see Wales taking a point in Belgrade. 

Edited by rolo - 27 Jan 2017 at 6:45pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 6:44pm
Serbia has a couple of suspensions so here's hoping
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

It could be roasting out there in June and I fancy Serbia to beat them by a goal.

Thank feck we got our game out of the way with them.
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:05pm

Who's missing?

One thing about Georgia is that they're unpredictable and could've beaten Wales away yet draw at home to Moldova.

It'll be interesting to see if Serbia are complacent out there as Serbia's defence is poor enough and if Georgia score first they could well take points of them.
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

It could be roasting out there in June and I fancy Serbia to beat them by a goal.

Thank feck we got our game out of the way with them.

Well then we are screwed. That makes the margin for error almost zero.

I have Serbia drawing with Wales and drawing with us in Dublin. Cant see them slipping up against Georgia (X2)  or Moldova or indeed Austria (who could be out of it by the time they play in October).
That leaves Serbia on 22 points.

So our target has to be 23. The draw with Serbia in Dublin as mentioned, and 4 wins. I think two of those wins are quite likely (Georgia and Moldova) another tricky but manageable (Austria) and the last one very tough to call (Wales). 

If Serbia beat Wales we're looking at second place at best. 

"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Who's missing?

One thing about Georgia is that they're unpredictable and could've beaten Wales away yet draw at home to Moldova.

It'll be interesting to see if Serbia are complacent out there as Serbia's defence is poor enough and if Georgia score first they could well take points of them.

Nastasic and Katai.

Ivanovic hasn't kicked a ball since October which is also a big plus for us.

Edited by colemanY2K - 27 Jan 2017 at 7:33pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6061626364 190>
  Share Topic