Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 190>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Alex Ferguson talked like a winner long before he ever won anything with United.  He talked about winning the title and not just one title, he talked about 'knocking Liverpool off their perch' by winning it multiple times  At the time it was laughable.  Ferguson embraced the challenge.  Stated publicly United's goal was to win the league championship.  He wanted to raise the expectations of everyone at the club.  Raise the standards.  He wanted everyone from the supporters, players, backroom staff, tea ladies to know that this was a club that had the highest standards and that only winning would do.  He had no fear of setting himself up for a fall because he had total determination and belief in his methods.  I cannot recall him ever talking down United's chances before a game to ease the pressure from the press. 

He went out to play attacking exciting football and to win every game.  He expected to win every game even when the personnel weren't there in the late 80's.  I don't get the sense from MON that he goes out to win especially away from home.  In my opinion he has in his own mind told himself that a draw would be a great result. He sets up his teams to play crude physical football and to turn away games into an ugly war of attrition that upsets the opposition rather than try to be creative ourselves.  He's delighted with draws instead of being disappointed.  That's the impression I get anyway.

I think a true winner embraces high expectations.  They don't shy away from them or play the underdog card.  That's where they belong in their minds and so feel totally comfortable in that situation. 

Scotland played fantastic football against Germany last campaign and had nothing to show for it. We rode our luck at times and took 4 points of Germany and were within 35 minutes of knocking the hosts and favourites out of Euro 2016. Results results results
Sponsored Links

Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:25am
Fergie is an arrogant prick. That's why he spoke so positively. 1000's of managers since then have spoken the same words but ended up with egg on their face. It turned out, Fergie was a great manager but it helped that he was at a massive club.

Can't compare Fergie with MON for what MON is trying to achieve.
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:58am
Ferguson did all that, but sure, if it were that easy, how come nobody has really been able to copy him with any great degree of success and how come Man U are having difficulty replacing him? They went for a similar arrogant man full of self conviction in LVG, it didn't work out, and then another abrasive toward just about everyone type in Jose, and while I'm not writing Mourinho off just yet, I think his greatest managerial years are already past him. 

Still don't see what it has to do with anything much, I have never heard, for example, Huddersfield's David Wagner being interviewed, but I doubt he is making grandiose statements of winning leagues & thrashing opponents just yet, but he is managing to do what is actually his job, winning as many games as possible, quite alright at the minute, with whatever he says behind the scenes. 

We have had all this type of talk before from another Irish manager, standards, professionalism, attention to detail etc, and barring an initial burst of relative success, it didn't last for him either. So much so that he is now the assistant to the very lad you say is talking us down all the time. There is a lesson in there somewhere. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 2:26am

Edited by Hickster74 - 15 Oct 2016 at 11:46am
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 2:29am
Originally posted by Hickster74 Hickster74 wrote:

Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

[QUOTE=Cathalthesmart]I think we will beat Austria and Wales at home atm, Serbia I'm not as confident.

We've a very good record against Balkan opposition at home : I think it may be several decades since a team from that region won a qualifier in Dublin.

No British or Balkans have ever beaten us at home in a competitive game.

Edited by Hickster74 - 15 Oct 2016 at 2:37am
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:07am
I never said management was easy or that you have to be arrogant. I stated that successful people in sport rellish high expectations and thrive on them.  They enjoy being the favourite and living up to it.  I am sick of us always needing to be underdogs and having the manager play down our chances against the likes of Serbia or Georgia as if a draw would be a great result.  I think this playing the underdog card feeds into the players minds whether he says it in private or not.  It doesnt look like it to me that he send Ireland out to win every game.  Georgia away, Scotland away, Poland away, Serbia away...It looks like he is happy to play for draws away.  Tacticallly on the pitch and also in his interviews. He definitely played for a draw away to Georgia in 2014.  Why are we playing for draws away to the likes of Georgia and Serbia?  They are difficult but very beatable.  We have been to 2 major championships out of the last 3. Why are we afraid? Where were Serbia and Georgia? Theres a reason for us not winning away in generations.  Its not ability.   Its that killer instinct, a belief that a win is not something that is unrealistic, or unattainable.  The lads sh*t themselves because they think winning away is not supposed to happen.

Here's an example. You can take the pre match Georgia press conference as the opposite to this.  I would like to hear him say with conviction before every game ''that we are playing to win. That we are always disappointed not to win every game.  We play to win.  Of course we know that we wont win every game but that is our aim.  We respect Serbia/Georgia and know it will be a difficult game but we are here to get 3 points.''

You don't have to be an underdog to be focused and avoid complacency.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:16am
You're right TJ, let's lobby the FAI to hire Phil Brown. He talks a great game and sets expectations sky high. On the subject of positivity, I remember this Italian lad who used to manage us who thought all our players were technically rubbish, so much so that our full backs couldn't leave our half and we played horrific hoofball. He said we didn't even have a national league and thought our lads were so bad that he couldn't be bothered to go and watch them. What was his name again? I'd say he had the players brimming with confidence
El Puto Amo
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:50am

I never said management was easy or that you have to be arrogant. I stated that successful people in sport rellish high expectations and thrive on them.  They enjoy being the favourite and living up to it.  I am sick of us always needing to be underdogs and having the manager play down our chances against the likes of Serbia or Georgia as if a draw would be a great result.  I think this playing the underdog card feeds into the players minds whether he says it in private or not.  It doesnt look like it to me that he send Ireland out to win every game.  Georgia away, Scotland away, Poland away, Serbia away...It looks like he is happy to play for draws away.  Tacticallly on the pitch and also in his interviews. He definitely played for a draw away to Georgia in 2014.  Why are we playing for draws away to the likes of Georgia and Serbia?  They are difficult but very beatable.  We have been to 2 major championships out of the last 3. Why are we afraid? Where were Serbia and Georgia? Theres a reason for us not winning away in generations.  Its not ability.   Its that killer instinct, a belief that a win is not something that is unrealistic, or unattainable.  The lads sh*t themselves because they think winning away is not supposed to happen.

Here's an example. You can take the pre match Georgia press conference as the opposite to this.  I would like to hear him say with conviction before every game ''that we are playing to win. That we are always disappointed not to win every game.  We play to win.  Of course we know that we wont win every game but that is our aim.  We respect Serbia/Georgia and know it will be a difficult game but we are here to get 3 points.''

You don't have to be an underdog to be focused and avoid complacency.

I agree. I really don't enjoy MON'S attitude, press conferences, interviews, pre-match and post match statements.  I do like how good he is at getting the team up when they are clear underdogs, and how lucky he is. Long may that continue.
GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 9:54am
The website football rankings info has done its latest projection for the WC qualifying groups, they use thousands of permutations and forecasts.

Their latest projection has us winning the group, followed by Wales, Serbia and Austria.

Well worth a look at FOOTBALLRANKINGSINFO
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 10:10am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

You're right TJ, let's lobby the FAI to hire Phil Brown. He talks a great game and sets expectations sky high. On the subject of positivity, I remember this Italian lad who used to manage us who thought all our players were technically rubbish, so much so that our full backs couldn't leave our half and we played horrific hoofball. He said we didn't even have a national league and thought our lads were so bad that he couldn't be bothered to go and watch them. What was his name again? I'd say he had the players brimming with confidence

I think their respective CV's speak for themselves.

One is a genuine football legend and the other is Martin O Neill.

Anyway back on topic. Can we not stop with this underdog sh*te? Its not doing us any favours.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 10:54am

Trap is a football legend. Shame he was 20 years past his best when he managed us. Stayed in Milan and couldnt even be bothered to watch our players. I'd regard your acceptance of such condescendation as an underdog spirit of sorts. "Oh thank you former football great for picking up your huge pay packet and insulting us. We are not worthy"
El Puto Amo
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:00pm
@TJ, Ranieri had a very similar approach to O'Neill when facing the media and talking about his team's chances. He constantly spoke of them getting to the 40 points mark and be safe from relegation even when it was glaringly obvious that they were very well positioned for European football. Do you think he was saying to his team behind the scenes that a point away to Sunderland would be a good result as it would edge them closer to safety?

Not all successful managers have to big themselves up all the time.

Talking our chances down in front of the press doesn't mean he is talking our chances down behind closed doors.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Trap is a football legend. Shame he was 20 years past his best when he managed us. Stayed in Milan and couldnt even be bothered to watch our players. I'd regard your acceptance of such condescendation as an underdog spirit of sorts. "Oh thank you former football great for picking up your huge pay packet and insulting us. We are not worthy"

Stauton and Kerr watched out players and both got absolutely nowhere.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 1:10pm
The players have the performances in them as we've already seen many times so i think its down to management and tactics. I'm guessing O Neill is telling them keep it tight for a certain period and if we go a goal down he gives them free reign to equalize and then its back to basics. Its blatantly obvious that's whats happening as we've seen it time and time again.

The game in Warsaw though was just bizarre as we had nothing to lose but just sat back and did nothing and that's why i'm pessimistic about the rest of our away games.
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by GB 1HughJarse GB 1HughJarse wrote:

The website football rankings info has done its latest projection for the WC qualifying groups, they use thousands of permutations and forecasts.

Their latest projection has us winning the group, followed by Wales, Serbia and Austria.

Well worth a look at FOOTBALLRANKINGSINFO

How the hell do they have Wales ahead of Serbia after the last set of results.....
Obviously it's runs on pure dung!

rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 7:05pm

We don't have the balls to win a group.  Even if we are in pole position with a 2 or 3 games to go I can see us snatching the playoff spot from the jaws of victory.

We have a serious lack of belief that we can be group winners.   Might be wrong but I don't think I have heard MON once say this is a winnable group.

We seem to set our sights low.  We try to 'nick' a playoff spot. 

I hate when I hear our manager talking about 'nicking a goal' as if doing so would be against the run of play, against what is expected, against all odds as if we are a loser team who hope to fluke the ball into the net and somehow get out of dodge.  He talks about nicking goals against average teams. 

We should be talking ourselves up more. Its not technical or physical ability that has never seen us win away against anyone of decent ability in 30 years, and Scotland in 1987 were not really a top team at all even though they had some good players.  Its pure inferiority complex bred into us.

Irish Times, 5th Sept 2016:

------------------

I don't get why this is an issue for you. I couldn't care less what MON says to the media, its what he says to the players. The biggest insight into what he is telling them comes from interviews they do during the week. When they state 6 points is our target from the next two games, or that they are targeting a win in a big game, its definitely due to the manager drumming that into their heads from the moment they arrive in Dublin. You think the manager is some sort of eejit gombeen man, bumbling around in the job, not knowing what he is up to, giving the team no inspiration. The results don't reflect that. The style of play has been at times terrible, but one thing you can't throw at Martin O'Neill is questioning his abilities as a motivator. 

Do you think MON wants to give Chris Coleman a quote to stick up on the tactics board before the next game? "We're very lucky to have Wales as a first seed, when it could have been  Germany or Spain or France or Portugal. Nothing less than a win will do against Wales because really they only have a few good players, and I was surprised they got the semi finals of the Euros".

He is an experienced manager, he's cuter than you think.

Edited by rolo - 15 Oct 2016 at 7:06pm
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
o_faz View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote o_faz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 12:14am
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

We don't have the balls to win a group.  Even if we are in pole position with a 2 or 3 games to go I can see us snatching the playoff spot from the jaws of victory.

We have a serious lack of belief that we can be group winners.   Might be wrong but I don't think I have heard MON once say this is a winnable group.

We seem to set our sights low.  We try to 'nick' a playoff spot. 

I hate when I hear our manager talking about 'nicking a goal' as if doing so would be against the run of play, against what is expected, against all odds as if we are a loser team who hope to fluke the ball into the net and somehow get out of dodge.  He talks about nicking goals against average teams. 

We should be talking ourselves up more. Its not technical or physical ability that has never seen us win away against anyone of decent ability in 30 years, and Scotland in 1987 were not really a top team at all even though they had some good players.  Its pure inferiority complex bred into us.

Irish Times, 5th Sept 2016:

------------------

I don't get why this is an issue for you. I couldn't care less what MON says to the media, its what he says to the players. The biggest insight into what he is telling them comes from interviews they do during the week. When they state 6 points is our target from the next two games, or that they are targeting a win in a big game, its definitely due to the manager drumming that into their heads from the moment they arrive in Dublin. You think the manager is some sort of eejit gombeen man, bumbling around in the job, not knowing what he is up to, giving the team no inspiration. The results don't reflect that. The style of play has been at times terrible, but one thing you can't throw at Martin O'Neill is questioning his abilities as a motivator. 

Do you think MON wants to give Chris Coleman a quote to stick up on the tactics board before the next game? "We're very lucky to have Wales as a first seed, when it could have been  Germany or Spain or France or Portugal. Nothing less than a win will do against Wales because really they only have a few good players, and I was surprised they got the semi finals of the Euros".

He is an experienced manager, he's cuter than you think.

Completely agree with what you've just said Rolo. I couldn't believe the Austria manager coming out with the 'lucky' jibe about Wales 2 days before their game - you've effectively done the job of motivating the opposition for them (and Coleman clearly does plenty of that anyhow).

MON can be as boring as he wants to the press. In an era where the press cast an ever increasing 'all seeing eye' over every minute bit of information that comes out of everyones mouth his complete lack of giving the game away is what impresses me most.

I do wonder whether people would prefer us to try and play nice attractive football and fail to qualify or to be dogged, determined and sometimes a little lucky and sneak our way in there.

I'd also add that its unfair to say we 'lack the bottle' to win a group - I think we have a decent squad but with limitations and that you do the quality that the other teams in the group possess a disservice.

If things fall right we can win the group and the mindset of the players Im sure is to go out and win every game, but we simply arent good enough to do that imo - Id take a point in Austria right now but does that mean Im being negative or realistic?

Edited by o_faz - 16 Oct 2016 at 12:20am
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2016 at 1:03am
I think we've a real chance to top this group, a serious chance. We haven't been in this position for over a decade, now we need to build confidence if we get a result in Austria I fully expect to us to END Wales attempts to make the WC by defeating them in Dublin.

We have arguably the best all round options in the group in terms of number of players in positions i.e. if McCarthy gets injured we simply slot in Whelan or Arter among others if that happens to Wales (as we seen v Georgia) Austria or even Serbia the same options maybe bar upfront were hopefully Scott Hogan will kill that doubt off. We don't have a World class player, Austria and Wales do. If we can neutralise Alaba we have a chance of winning this game, he was brutal today he has been poor all season thus far I hope he gets that up for another few weeks and rekindles it the week after we play them.

MON doesn't play attractive football, nor did Jack Charlton. i don't give a toss how we play as long as we're doing the basics effectively and making ourselves a nightmare to break down and getting results. On the scoreline it doesn't show who played the better football, it will simply show who won the game by putting it in the opponents net. Many nations and clubs would love to have a manager like Martin O'Neill, we should be delighted to have the man and lets hope he sticks around post the World Cup, he's an excellent manager and a total gentleman on top of that.

Overall, I expect us to qualify for the WC bold statement, a positive result in Austria is a huge plus it'll set us on our way to top the group unbeaten in all our games, taking points away from the two toughest teams in the group in Austria and Serbia. We should expect to get something of Wales home and away, contain the Gareth Bale show thankfully we have one of the worlds best right backs to do that in Coleman and with some assistance from Whelan and McCarthy.

Edited by SByrne24 - 16 Oct 2016 at 1:05am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 190>
  Share Topic