You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 190>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote armahibee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:07pm
Big ask to beat Wales and serbia at home,although looking at that I tend to agree with your other projections. With it laid out like that for the first time I'm actually starting to believe we will make it too russia.
Sponsored Links

irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by armahibee armahibee wrote:

Big ask to beat Wales and serbia at home,although looking at that I tend to agree with your other projections. With it laid out like that for the first time I'm actually starting to believe we will make it too russia.

Wales game will be tight and scrappy but the fact Austria and Serbia have defensive problems gives us a good chance.

I do think 2 draws and a win is most likely. That'd be acceptable given the even nature of the 3 of us but this is the best qualifying group we'll ever have in having a real chance of winning it especially when we were 4th seeds. Would be a fantastic achievement to do it and we're no worse than these teams imo.
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 5:28pm
If we can beat Germany at home I don't see why we can't beat Austria, Serbia and Wales at home.

Hopefully the landsdowne roar will see us through

Edited by lassassinblanc - 14 Oct 2016 at 5:29pm
shakeyshamrock View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shakeyshamrock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

If we can beat Germany at home I don't see why we can't beat Austria, Serbia and Wales at home.

yes, but we didn't beat Poland or Scotland at home.. I think it's a big ask to take 4 points off Serbia and Austria and 3 off Wales - last time out we took 4 off Germany (lucky to do so) 1 off Scotland and 1 off Poland. It's a big stretch to go from 6 points against your rivals to 11.. Obviously if we do it we'll more than likely qualify, but I don't see it as being quite that straightforward..  
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 6:53pm

You have Wales losing games left right and centre but then you have them beating us in Cardiff in what would be a dead rubber game for them. Doesnt make sense.

I think it's extremely unlikely we will beat all three at home.

I am optimistic that we could nick a win in Vienna though. Others will say that is mental.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
ABFC View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABFC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:24pm
For the 4 big games under Martin in Lansdowne we've been pretty decent. 8 points from 12. 

Poland (fantastic second half performance)
Scotland (Average with a dodgy goal conceded.. We did have luck with our goal)
Germany (historic result)
Bosnia (fantastic performance)

There's no reason why we can't win all three big home games. Will we? I highly doubt it. I think we'll be looking at 5 to 7 points. You can bet anything though that all three teams will not want to head to Lansdowne Rd to face us. 

Austria away is pivotal. Wales have dropped points there. If we could somehow win that then we're in an absolute golden position to qualify automatically. 
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

You have Wales losing games left right and centre but then you have them beating us in Cardiff in what would be a dead rubber game for them. Doesnt make sense.

I am optimistic that we could nick a win in Vienna though. Others will say that is mental.

It'd be mental alright - I can't remember a good away win ... More likely to be a draw we should have won. I'd happily take it now.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 8:41pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Love to be proved wrong Rolo Big smile
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 9:49pm
Think Rolo is along the right lines, we have a better chance of winning in Austria than we have of winning those 3 home games, even though we don't actually win many away games against higher ranked opposition, our home form, as in not beating nearly anyone at all for years until late last year, is what has stopped us qualifying for more tournaments in general. 

Basically, our away form holds up to a degree, we don't lose too many, it is the home form I would be worried about. And yes, I'm well aware we beat Germany (needed a bit of luck to do so), and Bosnia (a genuine good home performance, as good as anything we have seen under any manager) , but looking at various crap home friendlies, and the awful performance V Georgia last Thursday, and indeed other than Germany & Bosnia, the last 15 years or so, it is difficult to see where all confidence that we will have these wins over the teams above us is coming from. 

Yes, we can win them, absolutely, and we don't get beaten that often either, but I can see a lot of our run of the mill default result of draws ahead too, tis just the timing of them & the effect it may or may not have on the momentum of the group is what we don't know. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Scamper View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scamper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 10:17pm
Id See it going as follows: (Heres Hoping)
MD1
Serbia 2-2 Rep of Ireland
Georgia 1-2 Austria 
Wales 4-0 Moldova

MD2
Austria 2-2 Wales
Ireland 1-0 Georgia
Moldova 0-3 Serbia

MD3
Wales 1-1 Georgia
Moldova 1-3 Ireland
Serbia 3-2 Austria

MD4

Austria 1-1 Rep of Ireland 
Georgia 2-0 Moldova
Wales 2-2 Serbia

MD5
Georgia 1-2 Serbia
Austria 3-0 Moldova
Rep of Ireland 1-1 Wales

MD6
Moldova 1-3 Georgia
Rep of Ireland 1-0 Austria
Serbia 2-2 Wales

MD7
Georgia 0-1 Rep of Ireland
Serbia 4-0 Moldova
Wales 3-2 Austria

MD8
Austria 2-1 Georgia
Moldova 0- 2 Wales
Rep of Ireland 1-0 Serbia

MD9
Georgia 1-2 Wales
Austria 1-2 Serbia
Rep of Ireland 2-0 Moldova

MD10
Moldova 0-2 Austria
Serbia 3-1 Georgia
Wales 1-1 Rep of Ireland

GPWDLGFGAGDPTS
Rep of Ireland10640146822
Serbia1063123121121
Wales104602012818
Austria104241714314
Georgia102171115-47
Moldova100010228-260

As much and all as the trip to Tbilisi scares the hell out of me, we always seem to come out the good side of them so im gonna run with that.

Edited by Scamper - 14 Oct 2016 at 10:18pm
====#Everywhere you play, We'll Follow====
Hickster74 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hickster74 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 10:30pm
It's an interesting group...we've taken amazing first steps helped by the draw.
"Perhaps the reason that they did not consider the worst, was because discussion of such cases would have cast suspicion on the planner as being a "saboteur". Paranoia was rampant throughout."
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 10:39pm
We don't have the balls to win a group.  Even if we are in pole position with a 2 or 3 games to go I can see us snatching the playoff spot from the jaws of victory.

We have a serious lack of belief that we can be group winners.   Might be wrong but I don't think I have heard MON once say this is a winnable group.

We seem to set our sights low.  We try to 'nick' a playoff spot. 

I hate when I hear our manager talking about 'nicking a goal' as if doing so would be against the run of play, against what is expected, against all odds as if we are a loser team who hope to fluke the ball into the net and somehow get out of dodge.  He talks about nicking goals against average teams. 

We should be talking ourselves up more. Its not technical or physical ability that has never seen us win away against anyone of decent ability in 30 years, and Scotland in 1987 were not really a top team at all even though they had some good players.  Its pure inferiority complex bred into us.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:02pm
I think we will beat Austria and Wales at home atm, Serbia I'm not as confident.
Hi Lads
Cathalthesmart View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathalthesmart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:06pm
If we want to qualify we need to win at least 4 games at home, no less will do. Thats why Austria & Wales are more or less in must win scenario's next month in my eyes.
Hi Lads
deise316 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Don't ask me about car warranty

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote deise316 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

We don't have the balls to win a group.  Even if we are in pole position with a 2 or 3 games to go I can see us snatching the playoff spot from the jaws of victory.

We have a serious lack of belief that we can be group winners.   Might be wrong but I don't think I have heard MON once say this is a winnable group.

I hate when I hear our manager talking about 'nicking a goal' as if doing so would be against the run of play, against what is expected, against all odds as if we are a loser team who hope to fluke the ball into the net and somehow get out of dodge.  He talks about nicking goals against average teams. 

We should be talking ourselves up more. Its not technical or physical ability that has never seen us win away against anyone of decent ability in 30 years, and Scotland in 1987 were not really a top team at all even though they had some good players.  Its pure inferiority complex bred into us.

And MON won't be saying it is a winnable group either, at any stage, even if we are 4 points clear at the top of it with one game to go, he will mumble something about Serbia or Austria appealing a result that happened months ago that could change the whole complexion of the group if the appeal stands. 

He doesn't particularly care for the media at all, and while he makes the right noises about the fans, I doubt he sees them as anything approaching a priority either. He deliberately talks us down to the media/fans, but he simply can't be doing that to the team when all the evidence, as in, improving at HT when we have been playing muck, getting late equalisers & winners, which we have been doing over his entire tenure, suggests otherwise. 

The players clearly have belief in him, or enough of them do anyway, and that is fairly clear to see. Jack used to do the same thing, play up the underdog card, the 'give it a lash' angle & see what happens, when in reality, he had a fairly meticulous gameplan, even if it was a simplistic one, in place. I wouldn't be putting any great heed of what MON says to the public whatsoever, it is what he says to the players that matters, and so far, he must be saying something right to them. 

Would ya think he told Daryl Murphy in Serbia to just amble on & see could he nick an oul goal for example, or did he fire him up with some speech telling him this was his moment, their CB wasn't great in the air, maybe I know yer going to get a chance Daryl, bury the f**king thing type speech or whatever it is that he does ? I highly doubt a fella as animated on the touchline is quite so droll & talking the team down in the dressing room. 

The style, or lack of, is another subject entirely, and I would have some misgivings there, but MON talking the team down wouldn't register as any great concern, in my opinion. 

Picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue.....
Peter Stöger View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

I am Wah.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Peter Stöger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by deise316 deise316 wrote:

Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

And MON won't be saying it is a winnable group either, at any stage, even if we are 4 points clear at the top of it with one game to go, he will mumble something about Serbia or Austria appealing a result that happened months ago that could change the whole complexion of the group if the appeal stands. 

He doesn't particularly care for the media at all, and while he makes the right noises about the fans, I doubt he sees them as anything approaching a priority either. He deliberately talks us down to the media/fans, but he simply can't be doing that to the team when all the evidence, as in, improving at HT when we have been playing muck, getting late equalisers & winners, which we have been doing over his entire tenure, suggests otherwise. 

The players clearly have belief in him, or enough of them do anyway, and that is fairly clear to see. Jack used to do the same thing, play up the underdog card, the 'give it a lash' angle & see what happens, when in reality, he had a fairly meticulous gameplan, even if it was a simplistic one, in place. I wouldn't be putting any great heed of what MON says to the public whatsoever, it is what he says to the players that matters, and so far, he must be saying something right to them. 

Would ya think he told Daryl Murphy in Serbia to just amble on & see could he nick an oul goal for example, or did he fire him up with some speech telling him this was his moment, their CB wasn't great in the air, maybe I know yer going to get a chance Daryl, bury the f**king thing type speech or whatever it is that he does ? I highly doubt a fella as animated on the touchline is quite so droll & talking the team down in the dressing room. 

The style, or lack of, is another subject entirely, and I would have some misgivings there, but MON talking the team down wouldn't register as any great concern, in my opinion. 

Very well said Clap
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2016 at 11:54pm
Originally posted by Cathalthesmart Cathalthesmart wrote:

I think we will beat Austria and Wales at home atm, Serbia I'm not as confident.

We've a very good record against Balkan opposition at home : I think it may be several decades since a team from that region won a qualifier in Dublin.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2016 at 12:09am
Alex Ferguson talked like a winner long before he ever won anything with United.  He talked about winning the title and not just one title, he talked about 'knocking Liverpool off their perch' by winning it multiple times  At the time it was laughable.  Ferguson embraced the challenge.  Stated publicly United's goal was to win the league championship.  He wanted to raise the expectations of everyone at the club.  Raise the standards.  He wanted everyone from the supporters, players, backroom staff, tea ladies to know that this was a club that had the highest standards and that only winning would do.  He had no fear of setting himself up for a fall because he had total determination and belief in his methods.  I cannot recall him ever talking down United's chances before a game to ease the pressure from the press. 

He went out to play attacking exciting football and to win every game.  He expected to win every game even when the personnel weren't there in the late 80's.  I don't get the sense from MON that he goes out to win especially away from home.  In my opinion he has in his own mind told himself that a draw would be a great result. He sets up his teams to play crude physical football and to turn away games into an ugly war of attrition that upsets the opposition rather than try to be creative ourselves.  He's delighted with draws instead of being disappointed.  That's the impression I get anyway.

I think a true winner embraces high expectations.  They don't shy away from them or play the underdog card.  That's where they belong in their minds and so feel totally comfortable in that situation. 

Edited by Trap junior - 15 Oct 2016 at 12:15am
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 190>
  Share Topic