You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 190>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Watching Austria v Serbia highlights now. Serbia will drop points before this group is finished. Absolute kamikaze defending
No thank you Turkish......I'm sweet enough
Sponsored Links

SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:11pm
Originally posted by belgradeboy belgradeboy wrote:

Nice view from the top :D
So glad for Mitrovic to score twice, he needed that to boost his confidence. Still we have a bad defence,our mentality is not suitable for 3 defenders tactics. We need 4 men in defensive line. Stefan Mitrovic should never been called up again, he is less than average defender, two mistakes from him and two dodgy goals for Austria.
If we beat Wales in November and Georgia in marc.....HELLO RUSSIA! ;)

We count on you guys to be second,and hope both of us to drink vodka in Russia 2018.

Bye bye Wales :D

You will lose in Dublin. 

Early days yet, good win tonight though. 
edthered View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote edthered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:16pm
Just watched the highlights. What I was asking- would we have conceded or scored the goals tonight. The first Serbian goal was class and I couldn't see us scoring one like it. The other two looked like goals we could score. The two Austrian goals were pretty jammy, I could see us not conceding them. JOS in, we can shut Austria out and perhaps nick one
belgradeboy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belgradeboy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:18pm
Originally posted by SByrne24 SByrne24 wrote:

So glad for Mitrovic to score twice, he needed that to boost his confidence. Still we have a bad defence,our mentality is not suitable for 3 defenders tactics. We need 4 men in defensive line. Stefan Mitrovic should never been called up again, he is less than average defender, two mistakes from him and two dodgy goals for Austria.

We count on you guys to be second,and hope both of us to drink vodka in Russia 2018.

You will lose in Dublin. 

I dont think so. The draw is everything you can get from us in best case ;)
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:18pm

You will lose in Dublin

GB 1HughJarse View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GB 1HughJarse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm
3 next games are huge, but spread over 8 months!

Georgia did us a massive favour today.

Austria in trouble already, dropped points home to Wales and now lost away to Serbia.

Still don't rate Serbia, and Wales with a few injuries are seriously weakened.

Are any Austrian players suspended for next game against us?
Any long term injuries to any of their top players?

7 points out of 9 from us is a great great start.

We'll have to win at least 2 out of 3 home games against Wales/Austria/Serbia to qualify
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:20pm

You will lose in Dublin. 

Serbias defending is truly astonishing at times as is Austrias, not that ours was much better this evening. But expect to drop points in Dublin and Vienna, if you can contain Bale which based on tonight looks impossible expect to drop points in Cardiff. Along way to go yet, our draw in Serbia on the other hand is massive. 
ncafc87 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ncafc87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2016 at 11:24pm
We may never get as good a chance for a long many a day to top a word cup qualifying group. Next 3 games are huge and we'd probably be needing to take 6/7 for a great chance of topping the group. Not sure we can get that though, fear of those home games vs Scotland and Poland from last campaign all over again.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 12:20am

You will lose in Dublin. 

I don't think Serbia are as good away from home, BB. They're always very good in Belgrade but their form on the road is a bit more patchy, certainly against stronger western or northern European teams as opposed to minnows.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 2:37am
GB Hughjarse:  no Austrian players suspended for our match unfortunately.
bananarepublic View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bananarepublic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:35am
Serbia winning last night was a good result for us because they dropped points at home to us and it severely dents Austria's chances. Obviously we need to beat them in Dublin to take advantage of that.

I can't see us winning in Austria as we just don't win away from home against teams like them but a point will really set us up for a cracker against Wales.

This group will go to the wire and I can still see all 4 teams close together come this time next year.

Edited by bananarepublic - 10 Oct 2016 at 9:36am
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 9:55am
It's really time for some of the negative people on here to get behind the team and stop banging out the same trash you get from Dunphy. There was some justifiable criticism of our performances against Serbia and Georgia but people have very short memories and very little football knowledge if they think Belgrade is an easy place to go at the start of the campaign and get a win.

Some seem to think that pulling out a Roy Keane quote about a game that took place 16 years ago proves the point that an away draw isn't necessarily a good result and for the record the 2-2 draw in Amsterdam was a good result. We qualified for the World Cup and Holland didn't. Keane was frustrated that we threw away a second half 2-0 lead.

When Georgia give us a good game the knives are out but when they take points off Scotland and Wales the same critics seem to disappear. We've got 6 points from the last two games despite not playing to our full potential and missing several players. We've introduced new players to the squad and we have a great chance now to kick on take points off Austria.
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
OnTheOneRoad View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnTheOneRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:01am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

It's really time for some of the negative people on here to get behind the team and stop banging out the same trash you get from Dunphy. There was some justifiable criticism of our performances against Serbia and Georgia but people have very short memories and very little football knowledge if they think Belgrade is an easy place to go at the start of the campaign and get a win.

Some seem to think that pulling out a Roy Keane quote about a game that took place 16 years ago proves the point that an away draw isn't necessarily a good result and for the record the 2-2 draw in Amsterdam was a good result. We qualified for the World Cup and Holland didn't. Keane was frustrated that we threw away a second half 2-0 lead.

When Georgia give us a good game the knives are out but when they take points off Scotland and Wales the same critics seem to disappear. We've got 6 points from the last two games despite not playing to our full potential and missing several players. We've introduced new players to the squad and we have a great chance now to kick on take points off Austria.

+1

I wasn't happy at all with how we played the first two games. But we won against Georgia (as bad as we were) and got a point against Serbia where the much fancied Austrians lost. When Georgia get something it's written off as a freak result, but having seen them against Scotland, Austria and now Wales it doesn't look like very much of a fluke. What was lucky is Wales getting anything out of that game with the chances Georgia squandered in the second half. These are games you still have to go out and win, and we won it. I thought it was a much improved performance last night to the first two games, and despite our poor performances at the start of the group, from a results perspective we're doing well and can look forward with optimism. We need to get behind the team because so far we can complain all we want but they are getting the job done.
notpropaganda73 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote notpropaganda73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 10:53am
First half against Georgia was awful but I thought we played some decent stuff in and around the goal last Thursday and were fairly comfortable once we went ahead. Last night we were as comfortable as I've ever seen us really apart from a brain fart from Duffy which gave them a bit of a boost just before half time. 

Reality is we should be looking to win this group and it's very doable. The away draw to Serbia was frustrating because of how that game panned out but we didn't get beat and I think we've steadily improved. I'd be optimistic of giving the Austrians a rattle in Vienna but would take the draw at this stage.

Our home form is the key here, I think we've all followed Ireland long enough to know that we rarely get a win away from home against teams at our level or above us - but if we back ourselves to go at our rivals in Dublin and go for the win, be positive and trust ourselves with the ball then I think we can pick up at the very least 5 points from those 3 home games. 

Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:08am
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

It's really time for some of the negative people on here to get behind the team and stop banging out the same trash you get from Dunphy.
And it's really time for people like you to stop moaning about people who moan.

It's a democracy and football is a game of opinions.

If everyone agreed with each other, this place would shut down tomorrow.

"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:16am
I dony think we have played well in any game so far. The results are papering over the cracks. We were extremely lucky against Georgia with lets be honest was a flukey goal.

I believe we can win the group but only by playing to our potential by actually trying to play football instead of this 'long ball and hope' tactic O'Neill seems to think is the way forward.

Its actually beyond ridiculous when you consider that 90% of our game plan is to rely on good luck. Hoofing it up and praying for a breaking ball that falls into the path of one of our players to score.

Thats blind luck. Nowhere in there is playing to open up defences, pre planned moves etc...Nothing constructive.

Just hit and hope.

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:25am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

I dony think we have played well in any game so far. The results are papering over the cracks. We were extremely lucky against Georgia with lets be honest was a flukey goal.

I believe we can win the group but only by playing to our potential by actually trying to play football instead of this 'long ball and hope' tactic O'Neill seems to think is the way forward.

Its actually beyond ridiculous when you consider that 90% of our game plan is to rely on good luck. Hoofing it up and praying for a breaking ball that falls into the path of one of our players to score.

Thats blind luck. Nowhere in there is playing to open up defences, pre planned moves etc...Nothing constructive.

Just hit and hope.

In fairness though, there comes a point where it becomes more than luck, particularly when it occurs on a repeated basis. Its not like in the days of Trappatoni where we inexplicably took a result in Moscow, when Russia didn't want to score, or Armenia and Estonia self destructed on the biggest night of their footballing lives. We rode out luck infinitely more with Trappatoni, and the detail of those games speaks for itself.

With O'Neill, we have achieved results against Germany, Italy, and Bosnia who are all strong teams, while we have played very well in large portions of games against Poland (in Dublin), and Sweden/France in the Euros, only to be undone by a relative lack of ambition. The draw against Serbia was a good showing of resilience, while we could also view the Georgia game through the prism of James McClean's header which hit the bar. Last night's result also had little to do with luck, and more to do with resilience.

I do take the point that the tactics are limited, and that luck has played a part, but there is a serious patten in Ireland's results under O'Neill, which require more than constant rubs of the green to achieve.
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2016 at 11:44am
Stating the obvious here but Georgia will ultimately decide who gets out of this group and looking at their next 4 fixtures - Moldova Home, Serbia Home, Moldova Away, Ireland Home, I wouldn't write them off getting 8-10 points there. They may end up finishing in the top 3 themselves leaving 2 of the 'big' 4 looking up at them!

If Moldova get a new manager and get their act together, they may become the tough nut to crack again. Hopefully in time for Wales and Austria's visits.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 190>
  Share Topic