You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 190>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Gary Mackay and the one-nil loss to Georgia the last campaign, can Scotland do us another favour tomorrow night?

I think this is the result that will go in our favour. Scotland's away form is patchy and unpredictable and Slovenia are always good on their home turf.
Sponsored Links

SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:35pm
Slovenia are technically not eliminated.

They need to win, hope Slovakia don't beat Malta, hope Greece don't beat Gibraltar and hope Bosnia beat Estonia but only by the same margin they beat Scotland by.

So they're f**ked, but not mathematically completely gone. Hopefully that gives them some motivation tomorrow against the Scots.
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Strazdas Strazdas wrote:

Originally posted by elroy45 elroy45 wrote:

Oh Slovenia please don't lose tomorrow, nerves are gonna be bad enough on Monday without needing two results to go our way

I reckon they'll get a result tomorrow. They've yet to even concede a goal at home in this group and have been a consistently good side at home for a few years.

Thumbs Up I agree. The only niggle is it was mentioned yesterday that if Slovenia lose tomorrow they will be in pot 4 of the nations league instead of pot 3 and it's easier to get a play off for the Euros by being in pot 4? It sounds a bit far fetched though that they would be thinking like that or that it works like that?Would winning tomorrow not be important for what pot they are in for the Euros qualifying draw?

Edited by TonyNotJack - 07 Oct 2017 at 11:08pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:09pm
All these brain numbing permutations but then watch us beat Wales then Serbia lose in Belgrade to Georgia to top the group LOL
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:10pm
Slovenia are set in League 3 at least. They don't have a plausible route to League 2 (it would rely on mad results) but they are basically set in League 3 and can't drop to League 4.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 07 Oct 2017 at 11:12pm
TonyNotJack View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TonyNotJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

All these brain numbing permutations but then watch us beat Wales then Serbia lose in Belgrade to Georgia to top the group LOL

If Georgia had their full team they'd have some kind of chance. If it's that team they had against Wales with 4 of their best players missing then there's none.

Edited by TonyNotJack - 07 Oct 2017 at 11:22pm
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:29pm
Scotland are on a roll. Id fancy them tomorrow unfortunately.
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2017 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by TonyNotJack TonyNotJack wrote:

Oh Slovenia please don't lose tomorrow, nerves are gonna be bad enough on Monday without needing two results to go our way

I reckon they'll get a result tomorrow. They've yet to even concede a goal at home in this group and have been a consistently good side at home for a few years.

Thumbs Up I agree. The only niggle is it was mentioned yesterday that if Slovenia lose tomorrow they will be in pot 4 of the nations league instead of pot 3 and it's easier to get a play off for the Euros by being in pot 4? It sounds a bit far fetched though that they would be thinking like that or that it works like that?Would winning tomorrow not be important for what pot they are in for the Euros qualifying draw?

I certainly don't buy the theory that they have nothing to play for anyway. They're no doubt smarting that they held England scoreless for 95 minutes at Wembley and conceded at the death. They'll have a point to prove tomorrow and they're not just going to shrug their shoulders and throw in the towel - Austria beat the group leaders at home last night despite supposedly having 'nothing to play for' and with their stadium full of Serb fans.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:02am
Originally posted by RKeane RKeane wrote:

Personally think teams like Cyprus and Greece should be kept apart in qualifying, oldest trick in the book it looked like tonight, let them score first it will not look as bad
Yep, just like the two Irish sides should be kept apart, as they'll always do each other favours.

And the Scots and English.

Or those well known Celtic cousins Wales and ROI.

Of course, I didn't actually see the Cyprus/Greece game, but for the Greeks (ranked 47th) to beat Cyprus (ranked 70th) by a single goal, when they had everything to play for and the Cypriots nothing bar some local pride, well it's hardly the most unlikely result, is it?
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:04am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Personally think teams like Cyprus and Greece should be kept apart in qualifying, oldest trick in the book it looked like tonight, let them score first it will not look as bad
Yep, just like the two Irish sides should be kept apart, as they'll always do each other favours.

Of course, I didn't actually see the Cyprus/Greece game, but for the Greeks (ranked 47th) to beat Cyprus (ranked 70th) by a single goal, when they had everything to play for and the Cypriots nothing bar some local pride, well it's hardly the most unlikely result, is it?
There's no comparison. 

Nobody in Cyprus follows Cyprus. 

They all follow Greece. 

Which means all those Cypriot players tonight would have grown up following Greece. 

And they played like it.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:07am

Yep, just like the two Irish sides should be kept apart, as they'll always do each other favours. You know, like 1993, when we scored first to make it "look good". At least, that's what the Danes thought.

Oh and England gifting NI a 0-0 draw in 1985 when they (England) had nothing to play for, or not feeling in the  least bit humiliated at losing 1-0 in 2005, since they guessed we'd like a bit of a lift.

Or the 2-2 draw in Cardiff between Wales and NI when the teams had three players sent off - all for show.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:13am

Originally posted by Pubes Pubes wrote:

Englands late goal against Slovenia seems massive now as it put them out. A draw and they would be playing for the playoffs like Scotland, therefore more chance of a draw. I was cheering Scotland on the other night but it's funny I'll be cheering Slovenia tomorrow

Don't agree. I think a draw there would've been good as it would've given Slovenia a more realistic chance at second. But even with that draw and a win over Scots they would only have 18 points whereas we must finish with 19.

Thats what I mean. The English goal massive in a bad way for the reasons you state. And the fact Slovenia have nothing to play for giving Scotland the edge

Depends what you mean by 'nothing to play for'. They're still going to try and finish with a win given how high up the table they are. It's not as if they are languishing on 6 points or something. Also they may feel they owe Scotland something having lost the first one 1-0 with a very late Scottish goal.
Slovenia will struggle to get up for this game imo, since they'll feel pig-sick at losing a late goal on Thursday, meaning that even if they were to beat Scotland, they're still unlikely to finish 2nd, since Slovakia only need to beat Malta at home to finish ahead of them.

Plus Scotland are on a bit of a roll, with everything to play for. And if a last minute own goal winner v Slovakia doesn't make them feel it's their time, nothing will.

Tbh, ROI's best bet is for Croatia to draw in Ukraine - except that Croatia have just sacked their manager after failing to beat Finland at home a couple of days ago.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:21am
The fact that scotland have eveeything to play for while realistically Slovenia have little MIGHT work in our favour.  Scotland will be tense and uptight and may not be able to relax enough to play to their potential.  omeimes the team with nothing to play for are relaxed and have no fear as they have nothing to lose and can just free it up and play to their full potential.

This is hypothetical.  We will see.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:32am
Croatia sacked their manager this evening.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
Strazdas View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strazdas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:33am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Englands late goal against Slovenia seems massive now as it put them out. A draw and they would be playing for the playoffs like Scotland, therefore more chance of a draw. I was cheering Scotland on the other night but it's funny I'll be cheering Slovenia tomorrow

Don't agree. I think a draw there would've been good as it would've given Slovenia a more realistic chance at second. But even with that draw and a win over Scots they would only have 18 points whereas we must finish with 19.

Thats what I mean. The English goal massive in a bad way for the reasons you state. And the fact Slovenia have nothing to play for giving Scotland the edge

Depends what you mean by 'nothing to play for'. They're still going to try and finish with a win given how high up the table they are. It's not as if they are languishing on 6 points or something. Also they may feel they owe Scotland something having lost the first one 1-0 with a very late Scottish goal.
Slovenia will struggle to get up for this game imo, since they'll feel pig-sick at losing a late goal on Thursday, meaning that even if they were to beat Scotland, they're still unlikely to finish 2nd, since Slovakia only need to beat Malta at home to finish ahead of them.

Plus Scotland are on a bit of a roll, with everything to play for. And if a last minute own goal winner v Slovakia doesn't make them feel it's their time, nothing will.

Tbh, ROI's best bet is for Croatia to draw in Ukraine - except that Croatia have just sacked their manager after failing to beat Finland at home a couple of days ago.

I still think that a team who are on 14 points in their group and unbeaten at home without even conceding are not going to going to mentally throw in the towel and say "Oh, it doesn't matter if we lose now". I would have thought they would be good enough for a draw at least tomorrow.
sid waddell View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

On a dark desert highway

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sid waddell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 12:48am
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

The fact that scotland have eveeything to play for while realistically Slovenia have little MIGHT work in our favour.  Scotland will be tense and uptight and may not be able to relax enough to play to their potential.  omeimes the team with nothing to play for are relaxed and have no fear as they have nothing to lose and can just free it up and play to their full potential.

Isn't this like how the English media thought that England being "written off" before the last two World Cups paradoxically meant that they had a better chance of winning them?

It turned out they were written off because they were sh*t.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:21am

I still think that a team who are on 14 points in their group and unbeaten at home without even conceding are not going to going to mentally throw in the towel and say "Oh, it doesn't matter if we lose now". I would have thought they would be good enough for a draw at least tomorrow.
You might be right.

But "throwing in the towel" (unlikely) is not the same as "struggling to get fully up for it" (likely, imo).

So that if/when news of Slovakia drubbing Malta comes through, and esp if Scotland should score first, I could see them increasingly just going through the motions, as they think about getting back to their clubs uninjured.

But we'll see.

Edited by Territorial - 08 Oct 2017 at 1:32am
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Oct 2017 at 1:30am

No doubt there will be tension in the Scottish camp. But there is little enough reason to suppose that they will let it overwhelm them, since they were under severe pressure half way through the group, yet their recent results have been:

Scotland 1 v 0 Slovenia (88th minute winner)
Scotland 2 v 2 England (goals in 87th and 89th minutes)
Lithuania 0 v 3 Scotland
Scotland 2 v 0 Malta
Scotland 1 v 0 Slovakia (89th minute OG)

It's always good to have "Big Mo" on your side.

Indeed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 178179180181182 190>
  Share Topic