You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 190>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: World Cup Qualification Group D Thread
    Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:37pm
Its that time again, after a campaign has finished when we usually have to look ahead to the start of the next campaign.
Obviously we have the welcome situation where we we have qualified and so we dont have to spend the next ten months on here looking ahead to the future and hoping things will be better next time.
But it is still worth looking ahead. And actually we do have to hope things will be better next time. 3rd place wont cut it.

The main hope has to be that the team head to Serbia in September with the current high spirits and resolve unbroken having avoided another ignominious showing at the European Championships.

We still have to achieve that elusive 'big' away win. On the face of it, Serbia offers our best hope of that. They're in a bad place at the moment. A trashing by Czech Republic in a friendly last week followed a qualification campaign which at one stage saw their points total hit negative figures. There are whispers of player unrest and threats of retirements.

The first game of the campaign could be an opportune moment to play them. As we saw last week, and indeed against Germany, when there is a discernible difference in commitment from the two sides, however slight, it can negate any advantage our opponents have in terms of technical ability or having so-called star players in their ranks. It can tilt the balance in our favour.

Of course, Serbia will probably introduce some members of their recent U-20 World Cup winning side to their squad over the coming months, and they will look to get back to winning ways, but they have maybe four friendly games between now and September to get their house in order. With Georgia at home and Moldova away to follow in October, we have a great chance of heading to Austria with seven or even nine points on the board.

Austria look to be the strongest team in the group. And no matter what anyone says, Wales will be tough opponents too. This group will be a battle between four teams for two places. Although some teams qualified for the 2014 World Cup play-offs with as little as 15 or 16 points, the target has to be 18 or 19 points as a minimum. 19 points would have been enough for us to pip Poland to second last month on head-to-head (had we drawn 2-2).

To achieve a sufficient number of points to secure a play-off we'll need to pick up 12 from 12 in the four games with Georgia and Moldova, and at least one victory from our six games against the top three teams in the group.

There'll be some changes to the squad. Given is going to retire after Euro 2016, and will most likely be followed by Keane and O'Shea. Lots of names are being thrown about as to who will come into the frame but we have shown that we can deal with the loss of these players. We have a squad of players capable of beating Serbia and capable of taking points off Wales and Austria.

That said, there are deficiencies in our team which will leave us with frayed nerves in the next campaign. We seem incapable of holding onto the ball for prolonged periods. We were caught out on our left side repeatedly in the away play-off. Our central defensive partnership still doesnt inspire complete confidence. There is a lack of goals in the side, and we lack any kind of threat from dead balls. We persist with putting two men up to take a corner kick every time - a ploy which almost cost us dearly in Bosnia when we lost possession from a corner and should have been punished on the counter. Our manager still makes some questionable decisions up front and in midfield.

However, the last six games has seen a renewed spirit in the team. There is a new-found confidence, and a desire to overcome any perceived deficiencies and give everything they have to get the required result. They're going to need this and a lot more to get over the line in the next campaign.

We are in a group that gives us a real chance of qualifying. We have a real opportunity, but its not going to be straightforward. It never is with Ireland.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Sponsored Links

tobymcclure View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tobymcclure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:42pm
we will stumble over the line........... losing unexpected points and taking unexpected points, but we will make it............ just about! Smile
Row F, bird with the viking hat- check out the size of her b**bs            
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:47pm
I certainly don't fear Wales. Think we will beat them in Dublin for sure.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
ConorMac77 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ConorMac77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 3:51pm
Will be a really tight competitive group again with ourselves, Austria and Wales looking to finish in the top 2 at least, wouldn't be surprised if we need to go through the play-offs again to qualify. It won't be dull, like England's Euro 2016 qualifying group was.

Main thing is, we have a chance with this group. Thumbs Up

Just imagine if we had been landed with group A, with France, Holland (who surely can't be as bad as they have been in the Euro 2016 qualifiers) and Sweden for company. Ouch
The nation holds it's breath...YES, WE'RE THERE!!!
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:00pm
Yeah we were really blessed with the group. It's almost as bad as NI's Euros qualifying group! As Trap has said would really fancy beating Wales in Dublin and wouldn't be intimidated by the trip to Cardiff at all. Serbia are also a team on the slide and although the away fixture will be tough again I'd fancy us cause them all sorts of problems in Dublin. Austria are a team heading in the right direction for sure, but they are still very beatable. It's definitely something to look forward to as soon as the Euros dream ends!
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:26pm
In with a great chance IMO. Wales although no pushovers are no Germany,Spain etc... Austrians seem to be a good side but no world beaters.Serbians are decent but beatable. Moldovans and Georgians should be beaten at home. I see no reason why we can't win all our home games. It'll come down to the final game in Cardiff but I think we can top the group
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:29pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

In with a great chance IMO. Wales although no pushovers are no Germany,Spain etc... Austrians seem to be a good side but no world beaters.Serbians are decent but beatable. Moldovans and Georgians should be beaten at home. I see no reason why we can't win all our home games. It'll come down to the final game in Cardiff but I think we can top the group

While I think topping the group is definitely up for grabs I think our mentality means we will always settle for the playoffs and that is where I think we will finish with Austria winning the group with a few points to spare.
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:32pm
I think a lot will depend on whether Serbia improve or not. Wales in Bale have a player who can win a game on his own. Austria looked very impressive in the Euro Qualifiers. Really open group. I'd say the top 4 will be separated by 3 points or less. 

I expect us to finish 2nd with Austria topping the group.
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Bitored View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bitored Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:46pm
It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well.
Wes, Keane, O'Shea, Murphy, Walters and Whelan.
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.
I won the Player of the Century award thanks to the people.Pele was second.He also came second behind Aryton Senna as Brazil's greatest sportsman.The award FIFA gave Pele isn't worth sh*t - Maradona
BradyBaby View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BradyBaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:51pm
As mentioned a lot depends on the Serbian situation I feel . They are going through a horrible spell which wont last forever. They have a talented squad, and if they get the coaching set up correct and include a few of their talented youngsters they may get back on track.

A big plus for us is playing them so early in the campaign hopefully when they are still in the losing 4-1 to Czech republic mood Big smile
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 4:53pm
Walters will stay on. Keane isn't a massive loss as he's only able for the last 15/20 mins. O'Shea isn't a massive loss as shown in the Bosnia games IMO. Murphy isn't a massive loss either.

Edited by Denis Irwin - 25 Nov 2015 at 4:53pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:00pm
The biggest problem there's only 2 spots up for grabs rather than the 3 we just had in the EURO's.

I don't fear Wales at all. They're a team running on confidence. A few bad results in the EURO's and the games before us may plant the seed of doubt in their heads and become the Wales they were before.
Austria are the biggest threat, 2 campagins ago they completely relied on Alaba but their last campaign all of their key players were queuing up to score goals.
Serbia are a team who probably should be doing better than they currently are - They have great players in the team, Mitrovic, Matic and Ivanovic, it just isn't working out for them.
Georgia as we all know by now has a different problem - They're a bastard to play against as they only play for a draw playing 10 men behind the ball, they'll be a concern for all teams.

Moldova we should be hammering.

Edited by coyne - 25 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Bitored Bitored wrote:

It's impossible to answer this one as I'd expect a massive swathe of retirements after the Euros. At the moment we've a very top heavy over 30 squad. If even one of the following group stays on/maintains their current form for the WC Qualifiers we'd probably be doing well.
Wes, Keane, O'Shea, Murphy, Walters and Whelan.
Bar Keane those are all integral first teamers. I'd struggle to name 6 players to replace them.

I wouldn't say Murphy is an integral first teamer. While we might lose Murphy, Walters and Keane, Shane Long will still be around, and I imagine Walters will hang on for at least another World Cup campaign (whatever about Keane calling it a day after the Euros). Walters does not rely on pace the way Long does (much and all as he relies on fitness) so I am not overly concerned about him.

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic about midfield, either. With McCarthy, Hendrick, Artur, McClean and Brady all the right side of 26, we don't have a huge amount to be worried about, provided they can keep fit and avoid injuries. Wes leaving would cause a loss of imagination, perhaps, but I think we have a few other skillful and creative players. I haven't even mentioned Darron Gibson, although obviously he has his injury troubles.

Defensively, Clark looks a different player in green to when he plays for Villa. Clark, Wilson, Coleman and Keogh are all under 30 and good for another four years.

While retirements could very well lead to a loss of experienced players, if we can keep our current players injury free, we will still be pretty strong in the World Cup qualifiers.

I reckon we will put up a strong fight for second, anyway. Wales are a Gareth Bale injury away from disaster, Austria close to (but not quite) the same with Alaba. If either of them were to miss one international window of two games, they could easily drop points anywhere, with the likely exception of the home games to Moldova and Georgia.

Edited by SuperDave84 - 25 Nov 2015 at 5:02pm
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Walters will stay on. Keane isn't a massive loss as he's only able for the last 15/20 mins. O'Shea isn't a massive loss as shown in the Bosnia games IMO. Murphy isn't a massive loss either.

We'll get by without Whelan too I'm sure
The only way is up
rolo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I wouldn't be overly pessimistic about midfield, either. With McCarthy, Hendrick, Artur, McClean and Brady all the right side of 26, we don't have a huge amount to be worried about, provided they can keep fit and avoid injuries. Wes leaving would cause a loss of imagination, perhaps, but I think we have a few other skillful and creative players. I haven't even mentioned Darron Gibson, although obviously he has his injury troubles.

Add Judge (27) to that list, I think he'll be in the squad next campaign. Jack Byrne too will be integrated into the set-up, he turns 20 in April and if he continues his development at the current rate he'll be in and around the squad in ten months time.

As far as the group goes, we'll never have a better chance of making it to a World Cup.
"I'm off to see the Queen tomorrow too, don't forget that"
Guest View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 5:34pm
Don't rule Serbia out yet, a year is a long way away. No point in feeling confident against Wales either after what happened with Scotland. MON will have to learn from his mistakes after the campaign we had but i doubt he will. The likes of Whelan will still be around whom he'll have first on the team sheet.
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:21pm
Serbia look a decent team on paper but as you say with maybe 4-5 friendlies to get their house in order playing them 1st game could work out well. If we had 9 points heading to Austria anything is possible but again much like the euro campaign we should aim to beat Georgia and Moldova away, try and get something from the games away to Austria, Wales and Serbia- then at the Aviva win 4 of the 5 games. I think we could be formidable at home under O'Neil much like his Celtic team.

Beating Moldova and Georgia away, winning 4 of the 5 home games would give us 18points with 3 away games to try and gain a few extra points- between 3 and 6 realistically. That would see us over the line I imagine.

I would imagine Keane, O'Shea and Given as rolo says will be retired so big chance for Ciaran clark, marc Wilson, Richard Keogh and probably shane duffy to stake their claim. It could well be Keogh and Wilson. Randolph should be number 1 if he keeps up this form and Shane Long probably number 1 striker. Then the likes of Arter, Judge and maybe a few others to come into the squad. With young lads like coleman, brady, hendrick, McCarthy, arter and a few experienced heads in Whelan, Long, McGeady, Wilson and Hoolahan the future is very bright I feel.

Edited by Stickittotheman - 25 Nov 2015 at 6:26pm
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
cliffrichard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cliffrichard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2015 at 6:25pm
Gonna be another cracker of a group. It'll go all the way to the last round of matches.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 190>
  Share Topic