You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

World Cup Qualification Group D Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 190>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BippityBoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 5:43pm
Call me bitter, but even if Ireland are automatically eliminated before the Wales game, I still hope they give it welly and beat Wales to knock them out of the playoff spot by making them the worse second placed team.

Who knows how the Group D table would look right about now if Coleman hadn't had his leg broken by Wales. Wales clearly came out of the Aviva in the second half looking to get stuck in and really make their mark. Such a shame Taylor did it the way he did.

Edited by BippityBoop - 25 Sep 2017 at 5:43pm
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:09pm
We'll very likely get a play-off if we win our next two games.  That's got to be the focus.  

We're still firmly in this.
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:29pm
...we are however as well as winning those games...relying on other results going for us...not ideal especially when you consider the position we were in...im still outraged by our performances and results this year...and im an mon fan..
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

...we are however as well as winning those games...relying on other results going for us...not ideal especially when you consider the position we were in...im still outraged by our performances and results this year...and im an mon fan..
we know what we need to do. Worrying about anything else is worthless.
pepper67 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pepper67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 11:05pm
its not a case of worrying..its a case of venting my obvious frustrations.
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 6:42am
Originally posted by pepper67 pepper67 wrote:

its not a case of worrying..its a case of venting my obvious frustrations.
We need to beat Wales. And they’re the sort of team we should be able to beat. They are not as good as their rank suggests. I think we’re going to do it. I think we’re going to Russia.
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:02am
Would anyone who likes percentages care to give a rough guess in relation to what chance we are likely to get playoff with 2 wins please?

Like are 10% likely for a playoff etc. 

MONs quote is this but I know he's a dope. 

We have two games and we know that if we win them you would be desperately unlucky not to be in the play-offs

Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:13am
Originally posted by BippityBoop BippityBoop wrote:

Call me bitter, but even if Ireland are automatically eliminated before the Wales game, I still hope they give it welly and beat Wales to knock them out of the playoff spot by making them the worse second placed team.

Who knows how the Group D table would look right about now if Coleman hadn't had his leg broken by Wales. Wales clearly came out of the Aviva in the second half looking to get stuck in and really make their mark. Such a shame Taylor did it the way he did.
|Yup, as you said yourself, you sound bitter.

Couldn't give a f00k who qualifies if it isn't us. Would probably prefer to watch Wales at the WC than an Easter European team.
gspain View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gspain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:28am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

Would anyone who likes percentages care to give a rough guess in relation to what chance we are likely to get playoff with 2 wins please?

Like are 10% likely for a playoff etc. 

MONs quote is this but I know he's a dope. 

We have two games and we know that if we win them you would be desperately unlucky not to be in the play-offs

According to Edgar on football rankings

We have a 6% chance of going to Russia.  We have a 17% chance of making the playoffs. We have an 11% chance of worst 2nd.  Wales 27%, Greece 21% and Bosnia 17% are the top 3 predicted to be worst 2nd.  
djhegzy View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote djhegzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 9:50am
what results do we need to go our way to get a playoff place again? do we need both bosnia and greece in the same group to fu*k up?  
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:36am
https://www.statbunker.com/competitions/HomeAttendance?comp_id=570

Random stat but Ireland have the 4th highest average attendance accross Europe this campaign...
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 11:52am
Originally posted by darragh90 darragh90 wrote:

Random stat but Ireland have the 4th highest average attendance accross Europe this campaign...

Impressive when you consider 2 above play in 90 and 80k stadiums
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:25pm

Puts it in perspective really. There's always people moaning when the Aviva isn't full - our attendances are punching well above our weight for international football.
Shedite View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shedite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 12:40pm
Originally posted by Shedite Shedite wrote:

Puts it in perspective really. There's always people moaning when the Aviva isn't full - our attendances are punching well above our weight for international football.
Also, not an exact scienece for a few reasons, but we've 9th smallest bandwagon % also.

39k smallest (core fans)/ 50% maximum fans gives 79% of our maximum attendance are core (go to every qualifier).

Most of those above us (ie with less bandwagoners) are ones that have stadiums that are regularly full (North, Wales, Iceland etc) anyway. Netherlands have 82% core, some of those ones we think are the super loyal fans don't turn out too well...
Polish below us on 78% core fans
Turkey 66%
Denmark 54%
Belgium 53%
Croatia 18%
Serbia 17%

* I totally understand that some teams haven't played the smallest team, and others change home venue
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 3:58pm

Also, not an exact scienece for a few reasons, but we've 9th smallest bandwagon % also.

39k smallest (core fans)/ 50% maximum fans gives 79% of our maximum attendance are core (go to every qualifier).

Most of those above us (ie with less bandwagoners) are ones that have stadiums that are regularly full (North, Wales, Iceland etc) anyway. Netherlands have 82% core, some of those ones we think are the super loyal fans don't turn out too well...
Turkey 66%
Denmark 54%
Belgium 53%
Croatia 18%
Serbia 17%

* I totally understand that some teams haven't played the smallest team, and others change home venue
I've not checked them all (obviously), but some of those stats were skewed by stadium closures etc. If you look at the Notes to Group I, for instance, both Ukraine and Croatia were sanctioned by FIFA for crowd misbehaviour, whilst Ukraine also had to play Kosovo at a neutral venue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_UEFA_Group_I
darragh90 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darragh90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2017 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Turkey 66%
Denmark 54%
Belgium 53%
Croatia 18%
Serbia 17%

I've not checked them all (obviously), but some of those stats were skewed by stadium closures etc. If you look at the Notes to Group I, for instance, both Ukraine and Croatia were sanctioned by FIFA for crowd misbehaviour, whilst Ukraine also had to play Kosovo at a neutral venue:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_%E2%80%93_UEFA_Group_I

Well hopefully that teaches there fans not to misbehave. Maybe someday they will be top of the rankings on Statbunker
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:11am
When will we know if we are fuked/ still in with a shout (obviously assuming we win v Moldova )

Fri sat or Sunday ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2017 at 8:15am
We might not know until Tuesday night. Just got to beat Moldova and roll with it.
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 131132133134135 190>
  Share Topic